Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight

This is a discussion on Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wondering if anyone could give me an experience based recommendation on a paint product to increase the visibility of iron sights. I know advertisers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight

Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight

I'm wondering if anyone could give me an experience based recommendation on a paint product to increase the visibility of iron sights.

I know advertisers have plenty to say about their products, but it's in their obvious best interest to hype the merchandise.

The reviews that I have read on these "glowing" sight paints have been mixed at best, and seemingly leaning more toward the negative.

I really don't see why a quality hobby paint wouldn't be a economical option.

Has anyone had experience in this department?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Ads

I have used hunter orange colored paint, topped off with clear fingernail polish to make front sights stand out.
    Also, I have found that a light green color works suprisely well.
    RonCo likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have used hunter orange colored paint, topped off with clear fingernail polish to make front sights stand out.
    Also, I have found that a light green color works suprisely well.
    Thanks Glockman,

Does that method tend to last a while, or does it require regular touch ups?

I've used fingernail polish also...works O.K., a hair better than nothing.
    I've done this...
    Iron site on a 30-30, replaced front site with a fiber optic site...big difference.
    Iron site on a revolver...replaced with a Trij front site...big difference.
    Front site on a KelTec P-3AT (no site), I just used fingernail polish in the front of the grove...helps a little, but for "in your eye" SD...don't need no stinkin' front site paint.

My opinion on glowing paint products?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The clear finger nail polish really protects the paint. I have field guns that see alot of in and out of the holster that the paint is still good on that have lasted years.

Here's the trick; on the front sight, you will see serrations. They only go up so far, stoping just short of the tip of the sight. Take some white model paint and a very small brush and paint these. Let it dry. Then, put a thick coat, just shy of running over the white. Once it drys, take a razor and clean up the in perfections on the side of the sight, ie excessive or running paint. Then apply a clear coat of fingernail polish. The nail polish drys very hard and offers great protection of the color you have applied. Let the sight dry for about 6 hours before holstering.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Interesting. However, J-frame sights are merely recommendations. Point the barrel at their belly and pull the trigger three or four times (save one) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Interesting. However, J-frame sights are merely recommendations. Point the barrel at their belly and pull the trigger three or four times (save one) :)
    If an across the room head shot was needed, say 15 yards or so, seeing the sight is needed.
    The j frame can be used to good effect out to 100 yards or more.

The clear finger nail polish really protects the paint. I have field guns that see alot of in and out of the holster that the paint is still good on that have lasted years.

Here's the trick; on the front sight, you will see serrations. They only go up so far, stoping just short of the tip of the sight. Take some white model paint and a very small brush and paint these. Let it dry. Then, put a thick coat, just shy of running over the white. Once it drys, take a razor and clean up the in perfections on the side of the sight, ie excessive or running paint. Then apply a clear coat of fingernail polish. The nail polish drys very hard and offers great protection of the color you have applied. Let the sight dry for about 6 hours before holstering.
    I do the same thing on mine. Except I use automotive touch up paint...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

DC
    I found that fluorescent yellow worked best for dots.

If an across the room head shot was needed, say 15 yards or so, seeing the sight is needed.
    The j frame can be used to good effect out to 100 yards or more.
    100 yds? OK You're on. I guarantee you will not hit a 6" metal target at 100 yds. with any one of your 5 J-Frame shots. I have $100 on this and I will be happy to meet with cash and let you give me your money with 5 misses. Game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    100 yds? OK You're on. I guarantee you will not hit a 6" metal target at 100 yds. with any one of your 5 J-Frame shots. I have $100 on this and I will be happy to meet with cash and let you give me your money with 5 misses. Game on.
    Make it a thousand and you have a deal. But with a stipulation. The target must be the size of the human head, such as on a standard B27 humanoid target, and I fire single action.

But when I said " to good effect out to 100 yards" I was speaking of hitting a human size target. But if you want to agree to head shot size at 100 yards, and you have 1000 to lose, I'll take it. I will also take guns worth $1000.

What I've found thru the years :
    1. Using a light color helps most, and is visible in semi-low light conditions. If you want to show up in real low light conditions, go with a night sight.
    2. Do not use a color found in the environment that it could blend it. No red, blue, green.
    (oranges, yellow, flourescent colors, etc. worked the best)

I had one I like using that worked well. It was a small bottle and had lasted for years. However, when I went to do the sight on a new gun, I accidentally busted the bottle. When I went to get some new sight paint, I could not find that color at all..... and gun shops (if they had any at all ) only the kits.

Here's what I had : Bright Sights High Visibility Gun Sight Paint
    Midway, Brownells, and at this home site, they sell individual vials. When you look at this kit, I used the color that is 3rd from the left. It made it easy to pick up the front sight quickly for me.

I've never had an luck with fingernail polish coming out good, but there are a lot more of them out there now since I tried it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I wanna know what happens with the 100 yard shot bet!

I too have been wondering about site painting. My little LCP (I know it's not a range gun, or competition target shooter) is tough to see the (lack of) sites on. Glad to see some ideas here.

Make it a thousand and you have a deal. But with a stipulation. The target must be the size of the human head, such as on a standard B27 humanoid target, and I fire single action.

But when I said " to good effect out to 100 yards" I was speaking of hitting a human size target. But if you want to agree to head shot size at 100 yards, and you have 1000 to lose, I'll take it. I will also take guns worth $1000.
    I want in on this. Ive seen it done....1000 on G-man
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I had a friend who had his revolver painted with a light green color. I would not have guessed it, but it stood out very well. Never know until you try I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links