New Sights on an M&P compact

This is a discussion on New Sights on an M&P compact within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody replace the three dot white sights on an M&Pc? Did you do it yourself? Had a guy at Gander Mountain tell me you need ...

Thread: New Sights on an M&P compact

New Sights on an M&P compact

Anybody replace the three dot white sights on an M&Pc? Did you do it yourself? Had a guy at Gander Mountain tell me you need a special press. Seems like you could use a brass punch to tap them out and tap new ones in?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    There is a small spring under the rear sight. The front is better done with a press ( the correct tool ). If you're installing night sights, they don't really like being hammered on. on
    You're spending money on the parts, spend a little more and have them installed correctly.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

sgb
    Yeah you're definitely better off using a sight pusher.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the front sight is pressed in so tightly. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohnson View Post
    Anybody replace the three dot white sights on an M&Pc? Did you do it yourself? Had a guy at Gander Mountain tell me you need a special press. Seems like you could use a brass punch to tap them out and tap new ones in?
    Just this morning I was at the range for my normal Sunday morning shoot and on a whim asked if they had any Truglo TFO sites for my M&P9c. They did and the gunsmith was there and installed them for free. Ended up being a great deal. Retail price is $153, and I've seen them for $100 in other places. I got them for $95 with free installation.

Now I'm just hoping that I don't have a problem with the front site falling apart like others have reported.

Only reason I mention the price and the free installation is that if you have a shop or range where you've got a good relationship, you should be able to get them installed free or cheap. It took the gunsmith about ten minutes to install them (while I waited) because he has all the proper equipment.

Doc

Had mine replaced with truglo tfo's. (Tritium fiber optic) for free by jet guns when I bought it

I replaced mine myself with a set of Trijicon's tritium and didn't have any problems. I wrapped the slide in a towel put it in the vise and tapped them out with punch and a hammer. There is a spring under the rear sight that you have to make sure doesn't go flying on you. The dovetails are tapered so you have to go out a certain way. Left to right when viewed from the back, and right to left when installing, IIRC. VERIFY THAT BEFORE TRYING YOURSELF. I found instructions somewhere on the internet I cant remember where now.
    A piece of tape on the slide with marks where the existing sight notches are for windage makes putting the new ones in the same spot pretty easy and saves a lot of ammo sighting in.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Links