What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten?

This is a discussion on What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Now, you know that a bullet from a rifle actually rises for a while after it first leaves the muzzle." Originally Posted by Gene83 "Gotta ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten?

"Now, you know that a bullet from a rifle actually rises for a while after it first leaves the muzzle."

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    "Gotta gun?"

"Yeah, I've got a pistol."

"Well, bring it with ya'!!!"

-from a sheriff's deputy inviting me for a "ride along" back in the 70's
    Yeah, I've had that conversation with a sheriff's deputy down here in Texas back in the 70's on an occasion or two. The occasion of the high-speed chase is still etched in my memory.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If you shoot someone outside your door, drag the body inside before the cops arrive so it will look like you shot him after he got inside the house.

Hoo, boy. Where do you start?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "No need to load it. When they hear you racking the action, it will scare them away".
    Works that way on deer.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah, I've had that conversation with a sheriff's deputy down here in Texas back in the 70's on an occasion or two. The occasion of the high-speed chase is still etched in my memory.
    I laugh at it now. Thankfully, we had an uneventful Sunday.

No training other than the military. Pistol in a Mexican carry. Out on patrol like Steven Segal.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    We don't need anymore flippen guns every time i head to a gun show...
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 30th, 2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: language
    Cory1022 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    You should totally avoid those crappy Colt ARs. Total garbage. Don't even get me started. This RRA is WAY better...
    I was actually told the exact same thing, by a DEA Agent friend of mine who had - obviously - totally bought into the RRA hype when DEA bought a big batch from them. I STILL bust his chops about this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Naaaa, "What a waste of ammo and money, buying a machinegun." You'll never get your money back in a millinon years. BOYYYY did one of my friends ever eat his words. In fact, he tried to no avail to purchase one ( an MP5) while they were still "cheap" at the price of 6500.00. That was quite a while ago, around 1992. I paid 1500.00 for mine back in 1985 and I was paying the going price for one
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    "Go ahead and sale that Norinco SKS. You'll be able to pick up another one for under a hundred bucks anytime you want."
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, I respect your opinion. But a buddy of mine was awakened in middle of night to sounds of a break-in downstairs. He stood at top of stairs and loudly racked his 12-ga. All he heard after that was feet running away. So, in that one instance, the racking noise worked perfectly. Not saying it would work so perfectly every single time. But then again, nothing in life is guaranteed to work perfectly every single time.

-
    If we just had a semi-auto shotgun, or any gun really, that would sound like a pump racking when you kicked the safety off, there'd probably be a lot more running going on.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I was actually told the exact same thing, by a DEA Agent friend of mine who had - obviously - totally bought into the RRA hype when DEA bought a big batch from them. I STILL bust his chops about this.
    I have an RRA since 2009 and it still works great for me w/ no issues. I see nothing wrong with him or anyone else owning one.
    l1a1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I have an RRA since 2009 and it still works great for me w/ no issues. I see nothing wrong with him or anyone else owning one.
    There is nothing wrong, at all, with owning one. But calling the Colt a piece of junk and extolling the virtues of an RRA over a Colt is simply...bad gun advice, as is the focus of this thread.
    l1a1 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    When speed loaders came out for pistols I went to pick up three to replace my duty dumps, the man behind the counter said " better to carry your ammo lose in your pocket "
    oneyeopn likes this.

VIP Member
    "Other calibers will still kill ya, but a .45 will knock a man off his feet"; Repeated in just about every barber shop below the mason dixon line.
    Last edited by WHEC724; January 30th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Pistology and oneyeopn like this.

VIP Member
    "9mm is for wimps"
    oneyeopn likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    "Other calibers will just make 'em mad; a .45 will knock a man off his feet and into the next county, if you can find a piece big enough to recover"; Repeated in just about every barber shop below the mason dixon line.
    There, fixed that for ya.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links