What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten?

This is a discussion on What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Jason Storm I have an RRA since 2009 and it still works great for me w/ no issues. I see nothing wrong ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I have an RRA since 2009 and it still works great for me w/ no issues. I see nothing wrong with him or anyone else owning one.
    I would have gotten a Colt but was not willing to pay a higher price. But an advantage of the Colt is that it is milspec reliable and has more resale value if one (not me) decides to sell or trade it for a different rifle.

2. Remove Ads

My wife when she told me that I really just did not NEED that Mosin Nagant paratrooper version with the bayonet for hunting hogs in the brush.

My reasoning is that if a 400lb hog charges through brush at close distance, well, I may not have a chance to line up a good shot, but I sure as heck can use it as a spear if necessary. I know, a bit lame, but I really wanted that gun.

Her words were, "You will NEVER need that!"

Fast forward about six months. I hear one of my kids in the middle of the night shouting, "DAD, HELP!" We lived in farm and ranch land in a trailer in central Texas at the time.

I run through the trailer with my 9mm and see him "treed" on the washing machine by the bull possum that had come in through the dog door for the dog food. I told my wife, who was hot on my heels with her .38 snubby, "Go get that rifle with the bayonet!"

She says, "What are you gonna do? Shoot it with a rifle?" I just said, "Go get it!"

Thirty seconds later.... Possum on a stick! I looked at her and said, "See, I DID need that gun with the bayonet, didn't I?"

I think she was still under-impressed, but to my boy, I was freakin Tarzan! Lord of the Possums!!!
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Another dumb advice I heard is also loading your magazine 1 rd. short of its maximum capacity in order to reduce wear and tear on the springs. That may make sense on the old 1911 mags but today's 1911 magazines as well as other gun magazines are reliable enough to last long even when loaded to maximum capacity.
    I have found that loading a second mag to capacity makes it much harder to insert if you don't shoot to slide-lock. One less in the mag makes it much easier. 100% agreed on the springs though.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Back when I first took my CCW course all I had was my trusty old Bersa 380 to use, and I remember so clearly the NRA instructor telling me to "get a real caliber." That was a bit before .380's became so widely used and accepted, but nonetheless it was a real downer at the time.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    Just throw it in the dishwasher to clean it!
    Really?

"That competition crap will get ya killed on the street".

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Worst advice is not buying that AR-15 when I was single way back in the early 1980's, because "there are so many of them, the price will probably not increase much." Could have scored one easily for $500 and what would be rendered to Caesar.

Sadly they are extremely high priced and I doubt that I will be able to ever afford one.
    Stripped Lower: $79.95 ( + FFL costs ~ $20)
    PSA AR15 Lower - Lower Receivers - Lower Parts - AR-15

Rifle Kit: $489.95 + $50 for a rear sight
    16'' M4 CMV, Chrome-lined, Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

+ $25 shipping

~$644.90

All American made parts.

Not exactly $500, but $500 in 1985 adjusted for inflation is over $1,000 now. $644.90 would be equivalent to $308.49 in 1985.

And not to deviate too much from the original topic, worst advice I've had: "You shouldn't carry one in the chamber"
    l1a1 likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

During my law enforcement handgun/shotgun instructor course, one of the gentlemen in the class stated, "lasers are great tools to intimidate the bad guys!" So sad.

"Don't get a Glock"

"A gun will only get you killed."

-From ant anti-gun type extolling the virtues of being unarmed in a thug-infested big city.

"The only gun anyone ever needs is a 12-gauge pump."

Heard more times than I can count, along with the usual "racking the slide to scare somebody" comments, and tales about how a 12-gauge will blow someone off their feet, etc. Variations to this include: "Only load birdshot", and "only load rock salt". Good grief.

VIP Member
    "Swing your shotgun barrel to the side so you can spread the shot out more"
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

'You should just get a Glock.' :)

Yeah, I can't say I've had much in the way of genuinely bad advice I guess. The people I associate with who are gun owners/shooters are all safety conscious individuals.

Senior Moderator
    Politicians dont want your guns.

The police and military will protect you.

That .22 will kill them dead...

I've never been robbed so I dont need a gun...

My Daddy carried one of these in WWII ( it was an AR15)...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Gun shop: "This here Taurus PT745 has a life time warranty, so any problems will be fixed free by the factory".

My reply was: "Let me see that Glock".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links