What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten?

This is a discussion on What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have all at one time or another gotten some bad advice in life, What was the worst firearms related advice that was given to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What is the worst gun related advice you have ever gotten?

We have all at one time or another gotten some bad advice in life, What was the worst firearms related advice that was given to you?

1971 Buy the R&G it is priced right

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmhpfan View Post
    We have all at one time or another gotten some bad advice in life, What was the worst firearms related advice that was given to you?
    "No need to load it. When they hear you racking the action, it will scare them away".

VIP Member
    "Don't worry, it's not loaded."

"Don't buy a Glock. They are cheap plastic junk!" -- From my "chromosomally challenged" Uncle
    Pistology likes this.

One of mine was at a guns show years ago, I was looking at this beautiful 2 1/2 inch barreled Smith & Wesson model 19, brand new in the box, never been fired made in 1970. It was selling for $245.00! I was told that was too much to spend just wait and it would drop even more in price because nobody wanted old Smith revolvers with all the new semi autos out... Last gun show I was at and saw an old model 19 2 1/2 inch barrel that was not in as good of shape it was going for over $600.00.
    Secret Spuk and NIS350ZTT like this.

"What you want to do is shoot them right here (hollow under the clavicle), a .38 will go right thru 'em."

"Buy an HS2000, it's just like a Glock but it has a grip safety so it's not as dangerous."

A gun store clerk told me that. Sadly, I listened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "No need to load it. When they hear you racking the action, it will scare them away".

Well, I respect your opinion. But a buddy of mine was awakened in middle of night to sounds of a break-in downstairs. He stood at top of stairs and loudly racked his 12-ga. All he heard after that was feet running away. So, in that one instance, the racking noise worked perfectly. Not saying it would work so perfectly every single time. But then again, nothing in life is guaranteed to work perfectly every single time.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Worst advice is not buying that AR-15 when I was single way back in the early 1980's, because "there are so many of them, the price will probably not increase much." Could have scored one easily for $500 and what would be rendered to Caesar.

Sadly they are extremely high priced and I doubt that I will be able to ever afford one.
    Secret Spuk and oneyeopn like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, I respect your opinion. But a buddy of mine was awakened in middle of night to sounds of a break-in downstairs. He stood at top of stairs and loudly racked his 12-ga. All he heard after that was feet running away. So, in that one instance, the racking noise worked perfectly. Not saying it would work so perfectly every single time. But then again, nothing in life is guaranteed to work perfectly every single time.

-
    I think the intention of Mike1959's comment was about not having a loaded weapon. 'no need to ever have your guns loaded, just the shear sound of racking the slide on an unloaded weapon will scare them away.'

Now, racking the slide to chamber a round in a loaded weapon very could have that impact on the BG if they hear it, and is different than the terrible advice Mike1959 mentions.

My contribution is..."why are you paying for those expensive training classes? All you need to do is go to the range once a week, shoot 100-200 rds, and you'll be good." I'm still young in my CC and firearms experience, so I'm sure I'll have some real doozies to come.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

You're not supposed to dry fire that.

Really, any quality modern pistol should be able to stand up to the rigors of dry firing. Otherwise you're telling me what you're trying to sell me is piece of junk.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You only need one gun....

Naples Gun Shop Owner..."I've got a deal on this Taurus."
    It was my first gun...
    Rock and Glock and ccwguy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Don't buy one." <== worst gun advice I ever got. (Mom was wrong about a few other things, too.)
    gorilla45 and oneyeopn like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links