Colt Mark IV Series 70 Question/Info-Needed

This is a discussion on Colt Mark IV Series 70 Question/Info-Needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anybody give me any information on this Colt Series 70, how original or not is it and what might the value of it be? ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Colt Mark IV Series 70 Question/Info-Needed

Can anybody give me any information on this Colt Series 70, how original or not is it and what might the value of it be?

Thanks for your time.

I got a shiny penny i'd trade ya fer it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm not sure if it's a 70 series it worth more money here is a link to the colt 70's forum with serial number etc, they can give you all the info you need Colt Government Model Mark IV / Series '70 - Blue and Nickel
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Can't tell from your picture that well, but it looks like the barrel bushing, trigger, and adjustable rear sight are all indicative of a National Match "Gold Cup" model.

In that case, I'd give ya' two shiny pennies for it since a Gold Cup would be worth considerably more than the standard government model 1911 Series-70

If it's a Gold Cup, all the pieces are there, and it works well, it would probably bring $800 or higher depending on it's shape.

Best I can tell from the photo: the trigger, rear sight, and grips are non-original. It looks like it has the proper collet style bushing that the Series 70 guns featured. It isn't a Gold Cup as the slide serrations aren't slanted. It looks like a Government Model. The "idiot scratch" is pretty light and hardly noticeable on the gun. I would have said $650 based on what is shown but perhaps Eaglebeak is right with his $800.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

sgb
    Your gun's not all original parts and it's NOT a Gold Cup. Original ser 70 guns run the gambit from good to crappy, need better pics and the first half of the ser # to determine date of manufacture.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

OD*
    Looks like you have a parts gun. The receiver maybe from a Gold Cup, and the slide from a standard Series 70 Government Model. The reason I say it might be a Gold Cup receiver is, the trigger appears to be a wide Gold Cup trigger, which will not fit a standard Series 70 receiver without considerable work opening the frame to accept the wider trigger. If the mainspring housing is original, it too would make me think the receiver is a GC, Colt didn't use flat mainspring housing on the Series 70 Government Models until recently. The rear sight is after market, it's not a Colt sight, the grip safety is also aftermarket. As has been mentioned, the serial number would be a big help.
    JD likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    The rear sight looks like an adjustable MICRO. A plus regarding that is that it was a high quality sight and could be installed without enlarging or modifying the rear dovetail.

It also looks like there is a nylon or polymer Shok Buff installed behind the recoil spring. If it's been on there for a while then get rid of that because it's probably brittle and not good anymore.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think you should get rid of it. I'm trying to do my part by helping to rid the world of old Colts and Smiths. So, if you want, send it to me, and I'll take care of it. It's a sacrifice, but I'm just doin my part.
    zacii likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

gman, yer bringin' a tear to my eye... so noble, so caring.
    zacii likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links