Cheaper than Dirt?

This is a discussion on Cheaper than Dirt? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I beat online prices every time at Fleet farm and I can look the person in the eye...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cheaper than Dirt?

I beat online prices every time at Fleet farm and I can look the person in the eye

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Go to CDNN: Download Catalog ...

I just bought two mags for $26 each, shipping was $9 something, but for a limited time they dropped it to $6.
    FOR ANY SIZE ORDER!!!!!!!!!

Had a problem with my CC, and the people were very friendly and nice, with e mails and phone conversations, etc.....

Or go to Midway, but I haven't bought anything from them in a while, but like them as well.

Cheaper than Dirt impresses me little
    GreyGhost likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

That reminds me of these companies that sell cheap gadgets on tv commercials for like $20 bucks and make you pay like $12 shipping & handling. That is where they make all their money.

They got a tainted reputation during the price hikes of the last couple of distant years on ammo IIRC.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    There is certainly a number of posts here as well as other sites regarding CTD. I have found Natchez (which is one state away from me) to offer the same or better prices and great shipping. Sportsmansguide has been good to me with extremely good prices and shipping.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If you order from CTD, you need to make sure you stick to one warehouse. IF you get stuff from A, B and C, you will get three shipping charges. When I order, I have to order a lot, and from one warehouse. This dollar averages the cost down to the incremental increase per box.

But short answer - yeah, they seem to have become more expensive. Definitly not a place to order 50 rounds from. Buy by the case.

I have refused to even look at them after the $200/box .380 ammo a little while back.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Quote Originally Posted by Commando28 View Post
    Began placing an order for 2 small items from Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter today. Here is what i found:

They wanted to charge me $9.45 (shipping) for a $3.16 purchase (small plastic part), and another $10.18 (shipping) for a $29.97 (ceramic water filter) item. Of course another $2.99 for handling.

A small $33.13 order with OUTRAGEOUS shipping charges of $22.62 (shipping from 2 different warehouses).

If they are not embarrassed by what they charge for shipping, they should be ashamed. I cannot believe it.

Needless to say, until they change their shipping policies and prices, I won't be ordering from them any longer.
    needless the say they stink! ebay, amazon has better deals...and you can always try google shopping to find best web prices. I like outdoorbunker.com, cause I found a web coupon that gives 10% off and I've used it 3 times already.
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

I have never bought anything online from CTD, BUT!!!!!!! It is only 14 miles from the house so I am there several times a month.
    Ammo is expensive as heck, but I always find something to buy. Also, the mail order section is in the back of the store. Just look through the catalog,
    order and pick up right there. Have bought several handguns there, my son bought from them also. Fairly good prices.

Tim

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My first and only experience consisted of me starting to place an order, seeing how much they wanted for S&H, and never visiting their website again. It was insulting. I ship things for work on a daily basis, and I can't imagine they pay over 200% more than what we do.

Thank you very much; I didnt really know about any of this...a friend and I were discussing buying a bunch of ammo from CTD...I think we will discuss this and maybe look somewhere else. Where we live basically the only ammo you can get comes from WallyWorld and I wasnt real crazy about buying a bunch of Tula for my new M&P15 Sport.
    Thanks Again...

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Shipping and handling charges have become a big profit maker for a lot of companies. I normally compare the total of what I want along with shipping and handling charges. You've gotta pay attention! I've stopped doing business with more than one company when I found they had excessive S&H charges. Not just gun related stuff.
    Question Everything!

I have noticed CTD does a lot of TV advertising. If they wanted to get more business and satisfied customers they really need to have fair shipping charges.

I've never heard anything good about CTD.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

DL
    About a year ago I was in the CTD order process when I realized their shipping was going to cost about the same as my purchase. I ended my order right there and called to speak with a customer service rep. She was clearly sympathetic and understanding and apologetic but she could do nothing for me. Store policy. I can see no reason to go back to their website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links