indoor basement range

indoor basement range

This is a discussion on indoor basement range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; does any body have a range in their basement for shooting hand guns how did you build your bullet trap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: indoor basement range

indoor basement range

does any body have a range in their basement for shooting hand guns
    how did you build your bullet trap

Depending on where you live I think you would run into legal issues concerning discharging a firearm inside city limits, not to mention you have noise and ventilation to think about, if you haven't considered all that then you have a ways to go before you start thinking about a bullet trap.

I did however, have an air gun range in my basement for a while. My pellet trap was a box stuffed with newspaper with a piece of plywood against the backside of the box and another one against the wall- wouldn't do you any good for even the most anemic handgun round though.

How big is your basement?

If you're shooting rimfire, it's quiet enough that no one would know unless your windows are open or someone is standing with an ear against your basement wall. Bullet traps? Use commercially available ones for rimfire, but for centerfire rounds you'll need to make something out of heavy steel plate (steel type and thickness depending on what you're shooting).

Ventilation requirements depend on how much you're shooting and what you're shooting, and the volume of the space in which you're shooting. Again, if rimfires only, the powder charge is so small that you'd have to shoot a couple of boxes at a sitting to get seriously concerned, but it's better to over-design than to ignore ventilation. Fundamentally, you want to draw air downrange, away from the shooter, and then outside - so an exhaust fan ducted outdoors combined with some kind of fresh air inlet behind the shooter is best.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've always wanted to do this but way too much $$ for my idea.

That is to make a 50 yard long trench in the back yard and burry some of those big cement sewer pipes. Then run some sort of ducting at the back of the range back and forth under ground to silence the noise with an exhaust fan somewhere not noticable like the roof of the garage out back. Fresh air vented in from house roof through ducting to the basement.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    jem102 likes this.

A major issue you will run into is ventilation. Make sure you have the space properly ventilated before firing.
    So...
    Make sure of the legality with local lawyers
    Make sure you have a proper backstop
    Make sure you have good ventilation
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Two of my I won the lottery fantasies are to have my own lap pool and a sub-basement shooting range. If you went deep enough underground you probably wouldn't have to worry about the noise. Air quality would be a whole other matter.

Ahh, maybe some day
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Two of my I won the lottery fantasies are to have my own lap pool and a sub-basement shooting range. If you went deep enough underground you probably wouldn't have to worry about the noise. Air quality would be a whole other matter.

Ahh, maybe some day
    If I won the lottery. A new decked out outdoor range would be my answer, complete with cover and moving targets..
    mano3 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My lottery fantasy is to open a gun shop with indoor range AND outdoor facility with combat pits and simunitions tactical houses
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My lottery fantasy is to open a gun shop with indoor range AND outdoor facility with combat pits and simunitions tactical houses
    Cool! As long as you build one in Georgia too; North Georgia to be exact..

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have a Champion Rimfire Bullet Trap (Available at MIDWAY) and I use .22 CB ammo in a garage indoor range. By opening the windows and the main garage door I have plenty of ventilation. I shoot my S&W 317 at least three times a week at 10, 15, and 21 feet. I use Birchwood Casey 8" Shoot-N-C targets. I fire everything in DAO as my main carry weapons are a S&W 642 or 637. I still try to get to the range weekly or at least bi-weekly to fire the .38s but the .22 keeps my edge. I am far enough away from my neighbors (>100 yards) that there is no noise factor.
    Last edited by wjh2657; February 1st, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    I have shoot in an underground tunnel and there are problems with ground water,venting and the bullet trap gets stuck way back in there. You can still hear it outside.

A guy that works for me shoots his 22s in his basement and garage all the time. He has been know to shoot his 380 on occasion. Most of the rural town areas, may be ok but there are ordinances imposed by the town as to discharge and how far away from a building it must be. It does not spell out inside a building but there is the legal discussion.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Discharging a firearm in the city limits is generally a NO-NO everywhere so I have discovered. Whether it be .22, 17HMr or .50 BMG. That being said, there is .22 ammo that has no powder, only a firing charge that is hardly louder than a pellet gun. You can take your chances and play with this and I doubt the people upstairs would hear it. Still you are discharging a firearm but detection would be damn dificult.

I am not sure you gain anything positive from going this route though. The bullet is super slow, there is zero recoil and it does not memic in any way how the firearm would react under real ammo conditions. And if you are caught, you might get more than a "Don't do that anymore" responce from the local LEA.

Sigh...
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Discharging a firearm in the city limits is generally a NO-NO everywhere so I have discovered. Whether it be .22, 17HMr or .50 BMG. That being said, there is .22 ammo that has no powder, only a firing charge that is hardly louder than a pellet gun. You can take your chances and play with this and I doubt the people upstairs would hear it. Still you are discharging a firearm but detection would be damn difficult.

I am not sure you gain anything positive from going this route though. The bullet is super slow, there is zero recoil and it does nomimicic in any way how the firearm would react under real ammo conditions. And if you are caught, you might get more than a "Don't do that anymoreresponsece from the local LEA.

Sigh...
    The ammo is CB. I disagree that practicing with a .22 has no value. I practice several times a week with a S&W 317 which is the same gun as my 642 or 637 except for caliber. Trigger control and eye hand coordination are far more important than recoil control and the .22 is an excellent tool for practicing both trigger and coordination. The city limit thing is a political issue more than anything else. Every timetime a round goes downrange at an indoor range it is usually inside city limits. CBs make so little noise that nobody outside your home is ever going to know. When I go weekly to fire my .38s recoil is not even a factor. Recoil takes no more time than letting the trigger reset on the .22 does. If you are lucky enough and wealthy enough, that you can fire full bore ammo three or four times a week, than by all means use it. Most of us are not in that category and the .22 can be a very useful aid.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It would not be a legal issue here in FL as long as the noise didn't reach "disturbing the peace" levels. A flooded basement would be a concern though. Ventilation and soundproofing (and a sump pump) and good to go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links