Guns shows...do you like them?

This is a discussion on Guns shows...do you like them? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've only been to one and it was just extremely crowded. Prices weren't any better than the local gun shops. If I'm looking for something ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guns shows...do you like them?

I've only been to one and it was just extremely crowded. Prices weren't any better than the local gun shops. If I'm looking for something I'd rather just head to my gun shop. I can stop by the range while I'm there. And I live 20mins from GA Arms, so if I'm in need of ammo, that's my place lol.

I never saw any of those goofy badges, but a funny story is my girlfriend almost bought me one. They had some at a local laundromat. Thank god she didn't. Still, ccw badges at a Laundromat?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I usually try to make it up to the Metrolina Expo Center in Charlotte for the Dixie Gun and Knife Show every couple months. Most of the vendors there have a bunch of crap, and rather cheap crap at that, but you occasionally find something great. It's a little harder for me since I can't buy a handgun in NC, but I've gotten some great deals on other things.

And it's where I stock up on Georgia Arms ammo. It's MUCH cheaper than having it shipped, and I really prefer to do my business face to face.

I also got a box of PMC Starfires for my .45 for $15. ( )

Next time I go, I think I'll see if I can find the guy with the Mosin Nagants- for some reason, I really love the 7.62X54R. And they're usually less than $100 if the usual guy is there.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Guns shows...do you like them?
    I'm liking them less and less each year. I'm always on the prowl for the vintage S&W revolvers that can sometimes be found at gun shows so I continue to go. Real bargains seem to be non existent at gun shows nowadays and the wall to wall gawkers stacked 4 deep around the tables serve to make gun shows less attractive as my aversion to crowds seems to increase each year.

I go every now and then just to check out new pistols and revolvers, don't buy, prices are cheaper at the LGS.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Meh they alright, good jerky, chew and look. Happend on a few good deals mostly the small vendors, or desperite private sale. Few reloaders that produce good cartridges...better than Wolf, or Tula (pistol calibers) for the same price or cheaper.

Picked up my NEW M&P9C (abi safety) for $416.xx out the door. no FFL, no shipping etc.

Got my Mosin for $88.xx.

SO yeah I'll spend a Sat. morning every few months to check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I like going to a couple a year. If for no other reason it is to see and handle the latest and greatest stuff I've read about on here. I check out a few accessories, pick up some range ammo, and if I happen to find a great deal on something I like I might pick up something. I don't really go with the intention of buying a gun, but I'm not averse to it if I find a deal on something I really want. I've been to a number of them where I didn't buy anything and I've been to a few where I came home pleasantly surprised.
    Pretty much the same for me as well. I've noticed that many posters seem to be really down on gunshows, particularly in Florida and a few other places. It must be a regional or local thing since here in my area of Texas they are usually cheaper - often much cheaper - than the local shops and box chains, the selection is many times greater and quite often shows are the only place a certain model, accessory or product can be found other than on a web site. There are also many people at the shows who are more than willing to give me a fair price if or when I want to trade or sell one of my guns compared to local gun shops. With few exceptions most local retailers (the box stores are pretty much below retail but more than GS prices) seem to follow the old stock market adage of buy low, sell high and if you don't like the price then don't let the door hit you on the way out. There are exceptions and if you're friendly with a shop owner he may cut you a deal on a gun purchase, but those are definitely the exception rather than the rule.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I still go to one or two a year. There are some good deals to be had, but I don't typically walk in to the show looking for something in particular that I "must have". I did find someone selling 9mm for $9 a box for fiocchi target ammo.. he had it marked down because the boxes were blemished. Also, my father is getting up there in age and he feels more comfortable going to a show with someone else. So, I usually end up being his Sherpa and carry around all the crap he buys.

I'm not a big fan. The two I have been two in Nebraska seemed to be pretty small potatoes. Prices were high but I was able to find an older style magazine for one of my pistols.

I don't like having to pay to get in to browse first of all. Prices are too high in most cases. And I really don't like that a large percentage of vendors are selling things like Obama with a bone through his nose or other highly politically charged themes. They just give credence to the antis that gun owners are nuts, because people selling those items probably are nuts.

My favorite thing is just plain people watching at gun shows. The best way to sum it up is "Who moved the rock"
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have found some great deals on guns and ammo, especially on the last day.

I do however find it odd that they don't allow CC in the most pro-gun, right wing event possible. People get so angry at stores that don't allow CC but it doesn't seem to be an issue at a gun show. Go figure.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I go every couple of years just to remind myself why I don't go on a regular basis.

I only ever go to gun shows on the last day for the last few hours. Most sellers are looking to move stuff so they don't have to pack it up and take it back to their store and most customers have already left.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    I like to go and look around. Once and while there is a deal. But you got to know what you are looking at. Yes lots of stuff is overpriced junk, but still fun to look at and handle. There is a lot more over priced stuff on the internet and no shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Quit going to them 10 years ago...won't be going to another.
    Besides, I don't need a CC badge.
    Well said I wont be back either .

Last one a women spilled a full big glup on the back of me a didnt say one word

I live in northern Ky. and remember my dad taking me to the annual gun show at the Cincinnati convention center. The gun shows now are not what they were. The last one I attended had no deals, mostly bumper stickers and novelties. It is what it is and I will visit one if I have nothing better to do. My wife likes them better than me now, last trip we came home with a fire starter that she just had to have.

The show I go to is held quarterly and I like to go when I'm in the market for a certain model gun. They have hundreds of vendors from around the area all competing for business. I make mental notes of all of the prices and go back to the best deal at the end. I'm not a big fan of all the mall ninjas and extremely large people (no offense) that take up the entire isle and don't move when my skinny butt wants to get through!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links