Guns shows...do you like them? - Page 3

Guns shows...do you like them?

This is a discussion on Guns shows...do you like them? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to my first one this past weekend. Good deal on targets. Youngest son got a so-so deal on new 9mm Walther. Dont know if ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guns shows...do you like them?

Went to my first one this past weekend. Good deal on targets. Youngest son got a so-so deal on new 9mm Walther. Dont know if I will attend another.

I go just because they make anti-gun folks nervous. Not many new gun deals, but there's always an opportunity for someone who knows how to haggle, and some accessories are available that I can save on shipping.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I think gun shows depend on the region I've been to some really good shows and some crappy ones all depending on who does the organization. Generally I find less selection but better deals at the smaller shows. My dad has setup at shows my whole life though so I spent allot of my youth sitting his tables and setting up myself. Now he still goes to most in this area and sets out some of my holsters and info just for fun. We never move very many holsters at the shows but it tends to be a draw for some smaller shows. Heck last year they were talking about us on the radio as if we were some huge company rather than just my wife and I;)

Either way they can be good or bad, but if you find a bad one figure out who's running it and look for other shows they don't organize.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Gun shows around here still have guns for sale. Yes there are the bumper stickers and cheap tools, junk stuff. But there are always all types of guns for sale thay you can look at, handle and talk about. I have found some nice items digging thru a parts pile. Some guys don't know what they have.

I must be an old fashion pack rat.

VIP Member
    Nope, too scary for me.

On occasion I will go for small odds and ends, along with random deals. Mostly the fun is laughing at pistol ARs with bayonets and bipods on them, or Glocks for $600.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    The few I've been to were good experiences. Tons of tables with tons of competition, so prices were better than any gun store I've been in. Plus it's much easier to handle a variety of firearms that doesn't require a sales person pulling each one out from behind a glass and waiting impatiently. (This is especially great with new shooters who need to handle a dozen or so guns to see what fits their hands best.)

It might help that I'm in one of the largest cities in the country though.

My advice to anyone who goes: Do your research before hand, and bring a way of checking prices while there. (Smartphones are great.) Don't buy blind, because you could be getting ripped off. This is obviously not gun show specific. Same applies to gun shops, private sales, and non-firearm related things as well.

Went to the Greensboro Gun & Knife Show last weekend. Billed as the largest gun show on the east coast. There were thousands of attendees!! The wife and I got there just before noon on Saturday and had to park a quarter mile away. The line to buy admission ticket ($8.00) was only two people when we walked up.

Lots of handguns, rifles, etc., usual stuff. Met a couple of gun shop owners out of my immediate area that might be good contacts for future purchases. Some of the exhibitors seemed knowledgable but same can't be said for the "help" they had. Saw a H&K .40 designed for Homeland Security for sale at $940. Wanted it bad!! Why did I think it was a good idea to bring the wife?

When we left at about 1350, the ticket line had over a hundred people in it!

Went to a couple but won't be going again. Nothing there for me however it sure was crowded with people.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Do you like to go to gun shows? Do you go to browse, look for good deals, look for a specific gun, ammo, or sell?
    I go to gun shows from time to time.....with the open minded wide eyed attitude of a young child on Christmas morning. Generally I end up disappointed as a child who opens gift after gift finding nothing but slacks, turtlenecks and savings bonds.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Yep. I enjoy them. Picked up a stainless Colt Python at one recently for 600 dollars. Very nice shape. I just take the good with the bad, sorta like in life. LOL
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I enjoy gun shows. It's a good place to see the kinds of guns that I like. Sure the prices are high but if they want to sell badly enough good deals can be had.

The Tulsa show is amazing. Went last year for the first time after hearing about it for many years.

TULSA ARMS SHOW!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My experience has been that there are not enough deals at the shows for me. I go to see the guns and buy accessories.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I go to every one that comes to town, I look around have friends that always have booths so I get to sell stuff, handle a lot of guns, and once in awhile find some great deals... bought a gun two guns shows ago, but haven't seen anything lately that I couldn't find similar price but there's always deals just might not be the one I'm looking for,,,,
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I went recently to the show in Raleigh with several friends to give my advice and expertise to a couple of guys relatively new to firearms who were looking to buy a CC handgun. The days of good deals are basically over at gun shows IMO. I do enjoy getting a laugh or two form hearing some of the rampant BS from vendors trying to pawn off their overpriced gear to the unwashed masses. Kind of humorous and pathetic at the same time.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links