Guns shows...do you like them?

This is a discussion on Guns shows...do you like them? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is one that has shows all over the country ... and they started to come into here, telling everyone how they would shut down ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guns shows...do you like them?

There is one that has shows all over the country ... and they started to come into here, telling everyone how they would shut down all of the other shows.... blah, blah, blah blah blah. Few guns, lots of junk and everything was waaaaay over-priced. They had about 3 and haven't been back, I'm sure they lost money. A lot of blow and no go.

The typical one's we have around here, are dealers, FFL"s, etc. from the surrounding area and are pretty good. If you are looking for something specific, you'll find it ... and in varying prices from high to low, new to used, one brand model clear to the other. Supplies, ammo, etc. It's a good chance to get a good price on things, find accessories and supplies, etc. and are a lot fun. It's a good place to do comparisons between guns, and to see one's haven't seen, to feel - touch-examine them, and to do some bargaining at times. Typically, these are RK shows.

Plus running into various people we know.

Sometimes it's go to talk to dealers, etc..... "you know ... I have been looking for.....and haven't been able to find one" . And not untypical to hear , " Oh, Charlie has some of those... or you can those from such and such company".

So, it may depend upon your area and who's putting them on.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like going to them. Fun place to drool over guns, and accessories. The only thing I end up buying normally is ammo, and an occasional holster from a maker who doesn't have a website.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I prefer the small local show's we have here. In fact I went to one this morning. Picked up an origonal holster for my S&W 1917 in great shape for $20.00, and a Bianchi horizontal sholder holster (also in good shape) for $35. all in all a good day .

However.. the large shows are just the same thing show after show. Dealers selling at around retail prices, every kind of jerky imaginable, jewlry, doll's, candy, dealers with overpriced used guns.. like the well used model 10 S&W that was actually carried by an actual cop working in the big city. Or the rare S&W model 36... "they were all made with the round butt. This one is squair... I wouldnt see another one of those ya know..."

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Last fall was my last gun show and it seems that now there are more trinkets and junk than there are guns and equipment. As I wondered up and down the rows of tables I found ammo that was 15 to 20 percent higher than what I could buy it for on line and that was even with shipping and handling. When I checked out some of the weapons I could not believe the condition that some were in and others the people were selling had no clue about what the weapons condition was. Now I know there are some good folks that have stuff there but my thought is buyer beware.

Went to my first show in a very long time. Found a decent deal on a Gen 4 Glock 23 and found a new ammo source. If you are in TX, look up Alamo Ammo if you are at a show. They had real good prices on ammo. They have a website too, but I don't know about their shipping costs.

I don't know that I will be a regular, but I will start going again from time to time.

My experience has been the same as Smitty901. I went to one a few weeks back. First thing I see is a guy blocking the bathrooms standing there trying to sell a gun, someone working there asks him to step over to the side so he isn't blocking the bathrooms and the guy explodes at him saying something like "This is a gun show, I'm trying to sell a (expletive) gun" and he kept going off at the guy. Just about every table (that actually had guns, half of them didn't) was old military surplus rifles and maybe 4 tables with new guns. Nothing I saw was a good value, there was one person selling round receiver Izhevsk Mosin Nagants for $150. I just bought one at Fleet Farm the day before for $99, regular price, but I got a $10 gift certificate back.

I'll stick to gun stores and/or purchasing online. I can find way better deals and browse the guns without the crowd.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    I enjoy gun shows; you never know what you will find. There are good deals to be had if you keep your eyes open, a few weeks ago I picked up a very nice Model 25 Smith in 45LC for $600 and 45LC ammo is usually $10-$15 cheaper than at the LGS.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    My experience has been the same as Smitty901. I went to one a few weeks back. First thing I see is a guy blocking the bathrooms standing there trying to sell a gun, someone working there asks him to step over to the side so he isn't blocking the bathrooms and the guy explodes at him saying something like "This is a gun show, I'm trying to sell a (expletive) gun" and he kept going off at the guy. Just about every table (that actually had guns, half of them didn't) was old military surplus rifles and maybe 4 tables with new guns. Nothing I saw was a good value, there was one person selling round receiver Izhevsk Mosin Nagants for $150. I just bought one at Fleet Farm the day before for $99, regular price, but I got a $10 gift certificate back.

I'll stick to gun stores and/or purchasing online. I can find way better deals and browse the guns without the crowd.
    It is sad go back some years and Gun shows where Gun shows they had fair deals most were vendors that made most of their living sell at shows.
    Then the Big time take over and it has been all down hill sense.
    I am impressed and surprised at how Fleet Farm has stepped up. Wind the clock back to the Brady bill days, they got scared stop selling 7.62 X 39 stopped sell most hand gun ammo Nothing but basic rifles and shot guns. Now they sell great hand guns at fair prices. They stock a lot of supplies we need and the even have an outstanding Rifle built on the AR/M4 platform that is made only for them and with the piston rod it is far better than the old gas system. And with all that they never once charged me to get in or park. And the on sign posted on their door welcomes my CC.

Sponsor
    There is a gun show within rock throwing distance of me just about every weekend. I go to at least 2 a year. I have yet to buy a gun of any kind at any of them, but I don't go to buy guns. A good friend of mine goes to a show almost every weekend and he finds 2-3 Great gun deals a year. Not from the vendors but from other patrons.

I go for reloading supplies and gear. There are several old-timers who make quality hard cast boo-lits and there is always one or two in attendance. I could call them and order or drive the 50-60 miles to their location. It's just cheaper and easier to pay $6.00 and and deal with them at the shows.

I just went to one yesterday and picked up some new dies and a new fangled electronic powder scale from a vendor. I paid about the same price for the lot as it would have cost to order from Midway but didn't have to pay shipping. I'd say it was worth the admission price. And I got to kill a couple hours looking at a plethora of firearms and knives.

I had a great conversation with one knife vender who had higher end stock, Al Mar, MicroTech, Bench Made, etc. He had a very interesting knife from Mantis and we had a good debate over the Spyderco P'Kal's pros/cons.

So yeah, I like gun shows.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    It is sad go back some years and Gun shows where Gun shows they had fair deals most were vendors that made most of their living sell at shows.
    Then the Big time take over and it has been all down hill sense.
    I am impressed and surprised at how Fleet Farm has stepped up. Wind the clock back to the Brady bill days, they got scared stop selling 7.62 X 39 stopped sell most hand gun ammo Nothing but basic rifles and shot guns. Now they sell great hand guns at fair prices. They stock a lot of supplies we need and the even have an outstanding Rifle built on the AR/M4 platform that is made only for them and with the piston rod it is far better than the old gas system. And with all that they never once charged me to get in or park. And the on sign posted on their door welcomes my CC.
    Their ARs look really nice. I believe Fleet Farm actually owns the firearms company that makes them. I noticed they recently changed their pistol ammo policy too. It used to be in the glass counters and they moved it all out by the rest of the rifle/shotgun ammo.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    Their ARs look really nice. I believe Fleet Farm actually owns the firearms company that makes them. I noticed they recently changed their pistol ammo policy too. It used to be in the glass counters and they moved it all out by the rest of the rifle/shotgun ammo.
    The Huldra is a fine US made weapon I have one and it is outstanding . I spent a lot of time with M16's from version A1 to A4 and with the current M4 platform.
    The Huldra is based on them but using the piston technology you will be seeing more of. And they are priced right.
    As for handgun Ammo yep they been doing so well the old system was taking to much time.
    www.huldraarms.com check it out 3 version from basic to decked out

RKM
    I'd like them a lot more if they were either cheaper to attend or I was the only person there.

Junk n' Jerky

No. Too many Mall Ninjas at gun shows.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    they seem to pop up here once a month,usually they suck ballz
    but on occasion I find a gem to bring home...Mostly tactical wannabees trying to rip
    off unsuspecting passerbyes

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links