Guns shows...do you like them?

This is a discussion on Guns shows...do you like them? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you like to go to gun shows? Do you go to browse, look for good deals, look for a specific gun, ammo, or sell?...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guns shows...do you like them?

Guns shows...do you like them?

Do you like to go to gun shows? Do you go to browse, look for good deals, look for a specific gun, ammo, or sell?

2. Remove Ads

Quit going to them 10 years ago...won't be going to another.
    Besides, I don't need a CC badge.
    Guest1, tactilame and Gforty like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    I like going to them alright. It is a good place to handle lot's of guns, etc, not a bad place to find some accessories. I sure don't mind supporting them, I think we should, if not they'll close up then we'll be wondering what happened to all the gun shows. Yeah, some of the stuff is over-priced, junky, cheap, etc, but I try to look beyond that, I have bought some great milsurp rifles there from collectors. I don't use gun shows as my only source for firearms, it's something to do on a Saturday afternoon while my wife is at the Mall.

BTW, the Wannamacher Gun Show in Tulsa Oklahoma is FANTASTIC. Twice a year, once in the Fall and in the Spring. This reminds me I ought to go again.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I like going to a couple a year. If for no other reason it is to see and handle the latest and greatest stuff I've read about on here. I check out a few accessories, pick up some range ammo, and if I happen to find a great deal on something I like I might pick up something. I don't really go with the intention of buying a gun, but I'm not averse to it if I find a deal on something I really want. I've been to a number of them where I didn't buy anything and I've been to a few where I came home pleasantly surprised.
    Honk likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't been in years. Never saw a good deal, don't trust the ammo, prices are always inflated, and don't particularly care for some of the crowd there. Every time I left one, my new tires were tagged by gangs.
    Moops, marcclarke, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah, it's kinda fun browsing through all the stuff. Always see something unusual or that I haven't seen before. Most of my guns come from gun stores, not gun shows. Do enjoy walking through and looking tho.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I like them. I also only go for the last hour or so on the last day because the lazier guys are pricing things to move.

I know that there are those that love them, and those that hate them.......that said..... good goddess help me, but I love them so.

Some of my best memories are from the gun shows in Houston, Texas in the old Astrodome complex in the 70's when two of my uncles (avid gun owners/collectors and hunters), would take me and my cousins along and they always had a table. My cousin David and I would wander the building all day enjoying the smell of the cosmoline and that slightly dusty, musty smell of old wooden gun stocks and military surplus.

Of course, back in the 70's they already insisted on unloaded weapons and safety checks, but I can still remember at least two different years when a gunshot rang out from some asshat sneaking in a loaded gun and "accidentally discharging" it. Amazing how a huge convention hall full of thousands of people could become as quiet as a tomb when that happened.

I learned how a pro can haggle, deal and work a gun show, watching the uncles walk out with numerous new purchases and finds at incredible prices. I also learned how sneaky they could be, getting said new purchases home in gun cases or rolled up in blankets and past wives that were, how shall we say, a little less than thrilled about any new purchases (I remember one aunt was like my present wife. "You bought a Japanese WWII rifle? Why???" Women are too often confused by the answer, "Because I WANTED it!!!"

One uncle snuck in three pistols to his house, locked them in his hallway gun safe and about 6 months later, when his wife saw them and got unhappy, thinking he had just bout them, gave her the line, "Ah, no, honey! I have had those for a long time!!" It worked..... Unfortunately their techniques were lost on me, as I stink and haggling. I see, I want... here TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!!! Well, I did learn the sneaking in the new purchases lines and techniques, but those are a sometimes necessary evil in the securing of a new weapon

Sadly, the few gun shows I have been to in the last few years here in Austin were a tad disappointing. Just too small to live up to my childhood memories, but I took my kids anyway, and I did turn out five of the very staunchest pro gun owning, Second Amendment supporting kids
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Unhappy

They are not what they used to be.
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    I like to go and browse about once a year, and will bring a wad of cash - just in case.

I usually walk out with a BBQ sammich and a can of ammo.
    DontTreadOnI and .45acpguy like this.

I went to my first gun show earlier this year. I was somewhat disappointed. It seemed 90% of the booths had exactly the same merchandise at exactly the same prices. The prices weren't even that good. In fact, in most cases I knew I could buy the same stuff at Cabela's or Academy cheaper. I was also irritated that they had 30.06 signs up preventing concealed carry. I did end up buying an antique WWII pistol, though.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Like lordofwyr I have many childhood memories of gunshows. Local one at the Nat. Gar. Armory, and bigger ones in Amarillo, TX at the Civic Center. They have one 2 or 3 times a year in Lubbock. Last month went looking for a Mosin Nagant (don't know why, just wanted one). Left with a LNIB Mod 94 30-30. I like em because in Texas private sellers at gun shows don't have to do the Fed. paperwork. Not real big on worrying about SHTF but if it does, many of my tools are not on any list. You do have to haggle. Thats part of the fun. Another upside is the wife hates em so I get the BBQ sammich x 2 and she's not there to ***** about calories and carbs. Still looking for the guy with the CHL badges and sashes. Those have to be the funniest thing since "Got Glock" tee shirts sold at a kiosk at the mall.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Since the same outfit puts on shows in my area and they seem to hold one a month, if you've been to one, you have seen everything. Having watched people handle guns at these shows and after the shooting incident this past weekend, by an exhibitor no less, I won't be going to another one. "Shot at a gun show" isn't my idea of an obituary.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Naw,
    Never saw a good deal at one. The ones in a big city are filled with Mall Ninja's and I can do better with ammo prices online or Wally World
    tommy62 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links