XS big dot sights suck?

XS big dot sights suck?

This is a discussion on XS big dot sights suck? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On pistoltraining.com there is a article about how XS big dot sights aren't good sights. There is a part in the article that states "If ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: XS big dot sights suck?

XS big dot sights suck?

On pistoltraining.com there is a article about how XS big dot sights aren't good sights. There is a part in the article that states "If XS big dots are so great how come LEO around the nation still don't use them"... Well no disrespect pistoltraining.com guys but I say to that "If 1911's and HK's are so great then how come 70% of LEO still carry Glocks". (I understand it's because of cost) But do yall understand what I'm saying? Why does it seem like 4/5 doctors don't recommend these sights?

Why do these sights get a bad rep? They can't be HORRIBLE can they? Well I guess I'll find out soon, I found a pair of Big dots for my HK45c on Midway USA for 100 bucks so as soon as I can find a frickin tool store that carries a brass punch then I'll let you guys know what my experience is with them. Has anyone here used them? If you think they suck please explain to me why they suck.

I have a big dot on my sp101, and i really like it. It is easy to pick up, and great for self defense purposes. It is not target site, but that is not what i wanted on my sp101..
    ks kid, Yankeejib and Win94ae like this.

JD
    Administrator
    They do have some issues.

Proper sight alignment as far as elevation is not quite as easy as the instructions make it out to be and it's pretty easy to be a couple inches high or low even at close distances. With a lot of time and practice working at different distances you start to get the hang of it, but I wouldn't want to make a tight (think head shots/obscured targets) shot past 10 yards with them.

They are great for up close work against large targets, and I'll tell you what, since you're familiar with PT, do yourself a favor, run a couple drills of dot torture with your stock sights @ 3, 5, and 7 yards and then do it after putting on the XS sights and see what you think. When it comes to making precise shots, they aren't that good.

And yes, I have used them, and given the available options stick with traditional notch and post style sights. There's a very good selection of sights that offer higher visibility and more precise sight picture out there to choose from.

There is THIS video of James Yeager shooting @ 100 yards with the sights, but when your shooting for a larger pepper popper you can be off quite a bit and still hit it, but the argument about the sights at distance is more about "precise" shooting rather than just a hit somewhere on a 2.5' tall steel plate.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Proper sight alignment as far as elevation is not quite as easy as the instructions make it out to be and it's pretty easy to be a couple inches high or low even at close distances. With a lot of time and practice working at different distances you start to get the hang of it, but I wouldn't want to make a tight (think head shots/obscured targets) shot past 10 yards with them.

They are great for up close work against large targets, and I'll tell you what, since you're familiar with PT, do yourself a favor, run a couple drills of dot torture with your stock sights @ 3, 5, and 7 yards and then do it after putting on the XS sights and see what you think. When it comes to making precise shots, they aren't that good.

And yes, I have used them, and given the available options stick with traditional notch and post style sights. There's a very good selection of sights that offer higher visibility and more precise sight picture out there to choose from.

There is THIS video of James Yeager shooting @ 100 yards with the sights, but when your shooting for a larger pepper popper you can be off quite a bit and still hit it, but the argument about the sights at distance is more about "precise" shooting rather than just a hit somewhere on a 2.5' tall steel plate.
    Dang... you think I'm gonna be dissapointed? When I'm at the range the farthest I could reach, accurately, with my stock 3 dot sights was about 20 yards anyway. If I can get off good placement shots at 10-15 yards with the big dots shouldn't that be good enough in a self defense situation? I know that is reaching in different waters but I was always told and taught self defense situations would occur at very close distances so that's why I got the sights. So aren't entirely bad, just def not as precise as other sight systems? Btw your target with the Sig P220 in that other thread looked amazing, If I can do that at 10 yards with the XS big dots I'll be very happy. Either way thanks for your advice JD.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I have a big dot on my sp101, and i really like it. It is easy to pick up, and great for self defense purposes. It is not target site, but that is not what i wanted on my sp101..
    Yea, I guess my HK45c could be used for a target or IDPA gun or something like that. It's def big enough (sight radius wise) but I really don't have a passion to shoot matches with my HK45c. I love it, and I want it to be a reliable rugged EDC, don't care if it's pretty, scracthed up, just as long as it gets the job done when my space is being invaded by a threat... I'd rather shoot matches with the P30L I'm planning to pick up soon.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    Dang... you think I'm gonna be dissapointed?

That is entirely up to you and the degree of proficiency you want out of a given platform. You'll either love them or hate them. My suggestion re: Dot Torture will simply provide a base line for comparison so that YOU can determine as such.

Here's my thing, there are notch and post sights that can be just as visible as the XS dots for up close stuff, there are not XS sights that can be as precise as those notch and post sights.

They are superb for quick alignment, point shoot type shooting. I point shoot to about 7 yards and beyond 10 look for the front sight and go bang.

I have a had a set on my G19 for 2 years and I love them. They are very fast on target. What I have found is either you love them or you hate them. You know where I stand. As far as precise shots, you can make them with the big dots. A couple of classes I took last year had us engaging multiple targets from 3yards to 50 yards. The 50yd target was 12 inches x 12 inches. I made as many hits as folks with standard sights. We also had to make a head shot on a BG with a hostage at 10yds. I was able to make that shot. Spend time on the range and learn the sight system then decide.

As for the question why are LEO using them. LEO do not use what is best if there is such a thing they use what they are told to in most cases.
    Just because LEO or the military uses something does not mean it is best of any of us in the street. I used a lot of the in the Army that would not be my first choice on the street.
    If it works for you then go for it if not retuen them.

I have a set on my Glock 36.

It points well at short ranges. It is point of aim up to 25 yards then it's 6:00 beyond.

I like to shoot the same way each time. These are ok if you're going short range. They're just not as good as conventional 3 dot sights.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Thank you for all your opinions. This will be my first sight install so hopefully everything goes well. Hopefully I am good with these at 7..10..15 yards. That's all I shoot at the range anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

What are some alternatives you would recommend?
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

VIP Member
    I like mine just fine on my S&W 640. I can hit as accurately with that gun/sight set-up as with my SA 1911 out to about 20 yards. Way good enough for SD work and they are much easier on old eyes than smaller sights. You do need to spend some range time learning the sight picture.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    What are some alternatives you would recommend?
    Depends a lot on the gun...

Trijicon HD

Ameriglo Hackathorn Sights

or CAP Sight

Heinie Sights with some home applied upgrades

Various fiber optics, possibly the Truglo TFOs if they mount well, on Sigs they seem to stick up too high.

Heck yeah. Put a set of HDs on my XDm and turned it into a whole new gun. Need some for the M&P and the SIGs.
    JD likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links