Mouse Hunting

Mouse Hunting

This is a discussion on Mouse Hunting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this is the right forum for this, and this may not get any stir at all, but when I saw mention in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Mouse Hunting

Mouse Hunting

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, and this may not get any stir at all, but when I saw mention in another thread about "Mouse Ammo" meaning .25 cal. weapons, it brought up memories of my earliest hunting experiences, so I wondered if I was alone in this.

As a kid way back when, my cousin and I would use our Sheridan Blue Streak air rifles or Crosman single cock spring action BB Guns to take on the big game we could find around our neighborhoods, which turned out to be the following : Cock Roaches on the walls of wooden sheds and mice inside said sheds. My cousin even somehow scored a BB Machine gun that was powered by Freon. Just load the huge reservoir with BB's, screw on the can of freon, pull the trigger and worked on some type of simple vacuum system, which caused it to spew forth a constant line of brass colored death. Good lord we had fun with that, and freon was darn near free in those days before the EPA shut it down. The only danger was freeze burn when the can emptied too fast.

Now, I know it doesn't seem like dropping an elephant with a 700 Nitro Express, but to a ten to twelve year old kid, we were frelling Jungle Jim in the wilds of Africa, and let me tell you, mice have a darned small kill zone at any real distance. Cock Roaches? Well, In Texas, they tend to go about twenty pounds when seen in a child's eye view, and when they fly off the walls, they sound like a B-17 taking off. The mice were all well and good and the cats were happy for the help, but it was definitely kill or be killed with the roaches, which would fly directly at the offending marauders it seemed.

Yes, we ran away screaming like little girls on more than one occasion when pursued by what looked like ten inches or black, flapping, roachy death headed our way.

Ahh.....such good memories. Neighbors did not care in the 60's and 70's about kids with BB Guns and Air Rifles, and in fact, it was kind of expected that boys would do that as a right of passage where I lived.

Anyway, there it is if anyone has comment.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Last year we had some rats that were running up and down the fencerow. I grabbed the air rifle and attempted to eradicate the offending critters, as you say the kill zone is very small but a good solid hit and watching them roll is so satisfying. Great sport and really sharpens the eye.
    lordofwyr and JoJoGunn like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I hunted many a rat down at the marinas and boat yards in high school. I had a Crossman pump pistol and fed it from a mouth full of BBs and a pocket full of pellets. I remember that BB SMG powered by freon. I remember the guy at the auto parts store ripping us off because he knew what we used the stuff for and doubling the price. We spent the money the marina folks gave us on BBs and did mag dumps in the river to watch the splashes. We used kitchen matches out of the guns and made them spark up against a wall (if you were close enough). I miss those days.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

mouse hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I hunted many a rat down at the marinas and boat yards in high school. I had a Crossman pump pistol and fed it from a mouth full of BBs and a pocket full of pellets. I remember that BB SMG powered by freon. I remember the guy at the auto parts store ripping us off because he knew what we used the stuff for and doubling the price. We spent the money the marina folks gave us on BBs and did mag dumps in the river to watch the splashes. We used kitchen matches out of the guns and made them spark up against a wall (if you were close enough). I miss those days.
    Your posts bring back many memories when we did many crazy things with the old daisy one cock rifle that would hold
    500 cooper bb's.We had a pond that was just over run with frogs and o0nce a year we'd do a hunt to clear out the area.
    Back then a kid could walk down the road with a rifle and no one would bother you .Today I bought a hundred dollar,
    one pump pellt gun that has 1200 fps that I have more fun with shooting woodchucks. Dam things have lots of ticks on them and despite spraying along the woods I have one chihuahua that manages to pick up at least one a day.I keep my
    lawn a bit long at 3 and third inch as it doesn't need watering after June 20th.The shorter you keep it if you want it green
    it's water,water and chemical.Back to my pellet gun it's called a grossman but it's made in far East the Breemen cost $20.00 more and it only went 900 fps so my choice was good.The only maintenance the thing requires is a drop of oil
    in the barrel now and then.Oh ,the best part of it the pellets cost around seven bucks for 500.

A friends grandpa would remove the dogs from his dog lot and sprinkle dog food on the ground. We would take turns trying to shoot field rats with a .22. Those things are nearly impossible to kill! Last year I used a .22 pellet gun to remove some mice from the garden. I might be using the girls pink red ryder this year. They were too close for my scope.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

City Dump,Late at night,5 or 6 kids with 22's,one designated spotlighter,once he turned that thing on we would be snap shooting at rats running around,we would be laughing and shooting,sometimes the local Cop would show up and get in on the action.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsor
    I used my Red Rider and later my Crossman "10 pump" to "hunt" starlings for my Aunt. She hated the things. She said they attacked her song birds and ate up all her bird seed. I used to get a snicker-doodle for every one I shot.
    lordofwyr likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Years ago, I worked at a local grocery store that had a huge warehouse separate from the main store. The rat population in the warehouse was a bit much so some of us stock room guys decided to do "something" about it on our lunch break.

Using a .22 revolver with birdshot ammo, we would lay on floor of the warehouse, shine a flashlight underneath the pallets. When we would spot a rat, we could see the glowing eyes, and they would freeze in their tracks. Pointing the barrel down the path of the light, and "POP". Dead rat.

The guys in the warehouse would lift up the pallet and you could collect your dead rat.

When someone told on us to the store owner, instead of getting into trouble, he said as long as we don't shoot each other or damage merchandise, he didn't care how many rats we killed. In his personal office in the store, he had an AR-15 ready to go so firearms were not a big deal to him.

Of course all good things come to an end and we had to stop because of one idiot who wanted to use a .38spl to shoot rats and we stopped our lunchtime hunting.

It was fun while it lasted.
    lordofwyr likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I used to target practice with my Daisy Air Rifle in the garage when the car was out of it. Shot mostly plastic toy soldiers. One day I had pumped the lever and was getting ready to shoot when a movement caught my eye. I swung to my left and hit the trigger. "POP".... dead mouse that had been crawling up the wall. I didn't know that the gun had that much power.

In later years, my buds and I would shoot rats at the local dump. Used .22s. I had sighted in on to a rat on the top of a tractor tire with my Nylon 66, and squeezed one off. I missed the rat, hit the tire and the lead bounced back to put a big welt on my thigh.

Ahhhhh, memories!
    JoJoGunn, lordofwyr and phreddy like this.

My cousin even somehow scored a BB Machine gun that was powered by Freon. Just load the huge reservoir with BB's, screw on the can of freon, pull the trigger and worked on some type of simple vacuum system, which caused it to spew forth a constant line of brass colored death. Good lord we had fun with that, and freon was darn near free in those days before the EPA shut it down. The only danger was freeze burn when the can emptied too fast.
    lordofwyr,

I remember these! I almost bought one because I thought they were so cool! I never did and wish that I had done it. Like you say......the memories!
    lordofwyr likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

my dad managed a grain Co-op back in Illinois during my teen days in the 60's. My older brother were hired as "pest" control. Our assignment was to kill as many rats feasting on the grain in a football
    field size grain hut on the east side of town.

Many a day we woud plan our special ops movement undetected to swing in to action on a platoon of rats the size of small dogs spread out on top of the piles of grain. We started out with semi-auto .22's and took out a few.....but then our uncle offered to let us use two of his old auto loader 12 gauges. Our kill % went up dramatically.

Most of the time, we just walked through the middle of town toting our guns across our shoulders and no one called SWAT or 911. It was obvious to the small town folk we were on a Special Mission, and no one ever bothered us.
    I long for those days when boys were boys, and rats were targets.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    my dad managed a grain Co-op back in Illinois during my teen days in the 60's. My older brother were hired as "pest" control. Our assignment was to kill as many rats feasting on the grain in a football
    field size grain hut on the east side of town.

Many a day we woud plan our special ops movement undetected to swing in to action on a platoon of rats the size of small dogs spread out on top of the piles of grain. We started out with semi-auto .22's and took out a few.....but then our uncle offered to let us use two of his old auto loader 12 gauges. Our kill % went up dramatically.

Most of the time, we just walked through the middle of town toting our guns across our shoulders and no one called SWAT or 911. It was obvious to the small town folk we were on a Special Mission, and no one ever bothered us.
    I long for those days when boys were boys, and rats were targets.
    Sounds like fun. I, unfortunately grew up in the days where kids were 'not allowed' to have guns. The shooting at Columbine High happened about a month after my 11th birthday. I believe you all know how that affected people letting their kids have any type of firearm.

So, between crazed anti-gunners, and PETA, kids cannot be kids like they were 20+ years ago.
    lordofwyr likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

We ran around the Pine Barrens of South Jersey with a pellet gun and Daisy BB gun. Our main targets were birds and turtles. We'd throw bits of bread out in the lake and try to shoot the little turtle heads that popped up to eat it. Quite the small target...
    lordofwyr likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I am 45 yrs old and still love shooting starlings in bird feeders with my Beeman break barrel.
    Last edited by jbum; February 3rd, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
    lordofwyr likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Growing up on a farm and ranch we had grain silos that always had mice in them. Barns with mice and pigeons and fields full of rabbits and prarie dogs. I had a black crossman pump bb gun that came with a tasco scope. I took the scope off after about ten shots because it was junk but I'd pump that gun till my arm was tired and could hit about anything I aimed at.

I remember climbing on top of the the grains silos to shoot birds, climbing the roof of the house even packing a lunch because I was going to spend all day shooting birds out of the trees, and being up in the rafters of the barns shooting pigeons. I could be gone all afternoon on foot, on my honda 3 wheeler, or on my horse bb gun or rifle in tow and nobody cared as long as I was home for supper.

I think I'm going to have to look into a new air rifle on of the fancier high powered ones. I still have barns with pigeons and I still have rabbits and prarie dogs. Happy Hunting.
    lordofwyr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links