Don't keep guns in the soft pistol "rug" cases

This is a discussion on Don't keep guns in the soft pistol "rug" cases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My shooting buddy has a friend that lent his brother a Colt "Commando" 38 spl Snubnose revolver,somehow the case got wet with the gun inside ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Don't keep guns in the soft pistol "rug" cases

My shooting buddy has a friend that lent his brother a Colt "Commando" 38 spl Snubnose revolver,somehow the case got wet with the gun inside and wasn't noticed long enough for some surface rust and minor external pitting to develope.The gun was fully loaded,but they couldn't get the cylinder to release,it would rotate,but they couldn't move the release lever.
    My buddy brought the gun to the gun range and fired all six rounds,then we sprayed it with some rust penetrant and still couldn't get the release to budge.I told him I would take it and see what I could do.After getting it home,I removed the side plate and found the release pin was rusted in place,more penetrating spray and I finally took a punch and light hammer and tapped the protruding part of the release pin until it finally broke free.
    I had told my buddy I would clean it up best I could and then shoot it with KG Gunkote.After using blue and rust remover I now have about 10 hours of hand sanding involved in trying to remove all the pits,I still have probably 2 to 3 more hours to final sand and polish all the marks out before I can Shoot and Bake the new finish on it.Don't let this happen to you,Remove guns from the cases after taking them outside,I had a shiotgun in a case that I didn't realise had some drinking water spilt on the case that soaked thru,when I got home and pulled my shotgun out I could see the moisture on the barrel,next day it would have been surface rust
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

dessicant is your friend.

You can get it CHEAP at a craft store like hobby lobby or michaels in the flower arranging section (they use it for drying out flowers to press in a scrap book). When I told her I was looking for it at Bass Pro & how much it was she pointed out to me how cheap it was at Hobby Lobby. I kid you not, half the price. Pour it into an old sock, tie it off & ta-da.
    Guest1 and msgt/ret like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I can't tell you how many shotguns I have cut down from hunting length barrels to riot guns because the week before hunting season the owner finds the last 6 inches of barrel rusted from being in a case all year.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The bottom line is that storing firearms in soft cases is almost always a bad idea. Storing handguns in leather holsters is another metal tragedy waiting to happen.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

So with all of these horror stories, what is the preferred method for storing a firearm?

Bore-Stores soft gun cases get great reviews. Supposedly they wick away moisture and are silicone treated.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    So with all of these horror stories, what is the preferred method for storing a firearm?
    Clean them, wipe them down with gun oil like CLP, a rem wipe, or lightly spray them with gun oil then store them inside a gun safe with some type of moisture removing system. I use kitty litter in an old sock as a dessicant.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

You can get it CHEAP at a craft store like hobby lobby or michaels in the flower arranging section (they use it for drying out flowers to press in a scrap book). When I told her I was looking for it at Bass Pro & how much it was she pointed out to me how cheap it was at Hobby Lobby. I kid you not, half the price. Pour it into an old sock, tie it off & ta-da.
    Thanks for the tip about dessicant at Hobby Lobby. I collect and save it whenever I find it in packaging. I throw those little bags in every one of my gun cases, hard or soft. Sometimes the guns end up in there a little longer than I intend.

Now I won't look like a homeless person going through all the trash at birhtdays parties.

Soft cases are for transport not storage. I thought that was common sense.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I have a heater in my safe along with two cans of DampRid; have not had a problem with corrosion on either coins or guns and do have some in pistol rugs but they are not fully zipped.

Hi-Capacity Moisture Absorber 4lbs. (FG50T) | Moisture Control Products | DampRid
    IBGoodToGo likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have never had aproblem like that, a little gun oil and I live in Colorado with very low humidity

Here is the story: Hand Gun Cases, Rifle Cases, Shotgun Cases, Long Gun Cases, and Thompson Contender Cases offer Long-Term, Rust Free Gun Storage Solution.

Bore-Stores fabric is polypropylene that is treated with pure silicone and a specially formulated rust inhibitor. The fabric does not retain moisture and has an open-weave surface which allows thorough air circulation and evaporation. The thick pile interior cushions and protects your valuable firearms from nicks and scratches. Many customers use them to maximize available space in their gun safes.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I can't tell you how many shotguns I have cut down from hunting length barrels to riot guns because the week before hunting season the owner finds the last 6 inches of barrel rusted from being in a case all year.
    Get a Remington 887 NitroMag...no issues with moisture, dirt, scratches, etc.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Desiccant probably wouldn't suck up a soaking.

Years ago I bought some yellow plastic bags that were supposed to inhibit rust. Can't remember the brand. So far they've worked pretty well, and yes I also collect desiccant bags and toss them into the mix.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

+1 on desiccants. Plus they are reusable. Just throw em in the oven on a low temp for an hour or two and they are good as new. I use em in my ammo cans as well for long term storage. I was fortunate enough to work at a place that recieved a bunch of scanners and they all had 2 good size packs in each. People were more than generous with their "trash"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links