add to my AR or buy AK? - Page 2

add to my AR or buy AK?

This is a discussion on add to my AR or buy AK? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Re your #2: Scope mount on an AK? De gustibus non disputandem est (there's no disputing taste). Strikes me as kinda like putting a vertical ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: add to my AR or buy AK?

Re your #2: Scope mount on an AK? De gustibus non disputandem est (there's no disputing taste). Strikes me as kinda like putting a vertical foregrip on a Red Ryder. I'd say save your money for a good optic for the AR - just one man's opinion.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The newer weapons built on the AR/M4 plat form but using the rod rather than gas piston are a much better weapon and worth looking into.
    That said I aint throwing any of mine out.
    The AK is not a long range shooter it is designed and works well in a more up close and personal fight. For that type of shooting a good does not have to be expensive RED DOT mounted correctly will allow you to get on target faster and place round much better. I was against the red dot M68 type scopes when the Army first issued them it did not take me long to change my mind. I have a couple mounted on AK's these weapons are fun to shoot and even at todays prices do not empty the check book. It is good to have more than one option leaning in vault if neededAKold (1).JPG

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I own both. When I want to shoot longer distances with great accuracy I use the AR. When I want to have a lot of fun and throw a bunch of lead down range with no concern for the price of ammo I grab my AK. In all honesty the AK is a lot more fun!

I think I would go for the AK. You already have the AR so a complimentary firearm to add to the arsenal would be to your advantage.

I don't have either, but would like to work towards having multiple fierarm platforms. That way, no matter what situation you are in, you have a capable firearm for the job.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Re your #2: Scope mount on an AK? De gustibus non disputandem est (there's no disputing taste). Strikes me as kinda like putting a vertical foregrip on a Red Ryder. I'd say save your money for a good optic for the AR - just one man's opinion.
    i guess i didn't really clarify scope mount. i was looking at the end product looking something like this (minus the color scheme - thinking about staying black). got these pics off of m4c.net (ty ktwon).

k town's ak.jpgscopemount.jpg

thanks everyone for your input. i will definitely be adding more mags and more ammo for my AR. also, another clarification.. i will be buying an AK in the near future, it's just a matter of buying it now or buying it later. should i complete the AR or buy the AK and work on them simultaneously? thanks again!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Thanks for everyone's input. It took a while to decide what I wanted/needed, but when I came across a $750 SGL21-62 I could not resist the deal.. I looked all around and the average price on the interwebs was $820 (including my FFL transfer) and my LGS wanted $950?! so this was a no brainer.

I also took into consideration my ammo/mag supply for my AR - I will be adding to that stash. My goal is to have 3k 5.56 and mags for 1k and the remaining 2k in ammo cans.

Here are a couple pictures of my new AK:

AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

I would go with the AK its good to have several options and the AK serves the purpose of being a reliable workhorse.

My vote is an AR-
    Coyotes doen't like 'em much......

Quote Originally Posted by FandFForum View Post
    I would go with the AK its good to have several options and the AK serves the purpose of being a reliable workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I own both. When I want to shoot longer distances with great accuracy I use the AR. When I want to have a lot of fun and throw a bunch of lead down range with no concern for the price of ammo I grab my AK. In all honesty the AK is a lot more fun!
    You mean its more challenging to shoot long range with a AKs.....I agree. the round has a rainbow tragectory after 300 meters.

Congrats erick619.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links