First gun you ever fired? - Page 2

First gun you ever fired?

This is a discussion on First gun you ever fired? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I never fired a gun again after the shotgun incident unitl USAF Basic Training - good ol' M-16, but I think we used .22 LR ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First gun you ever fired?

I never fired a gun again after the shotgun incident unitl USAF Basic Training - good ol' M-16, but I think we used .22 LR adapters...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    Whooo, this was a long time ago, and I think this was the first time?

IIRC I was about 8, I went with my Dad on a late evening duck hunt. I don't remember if I pestered him or not (probably did), but he let me shoot his Remington Sportsman '48 when we got ready to walk home. I was impressed at my manly gun skills and thought I handled that big shotgun easily. One day it dawned on me that he was in tandem with me holding it, taking the recoil, while I was essentially only pulling the trigger.

He passed away about two years ago, I have that very gun right now in my safe.
    phreddy, Hopyard and gasmitty like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My friends dads glock 17 service pistol. Whole magazine without ear protection, very stupid, bad idea.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

.22 bolt action rifle. I can't remember the make as it was 58 years ago. Wished I still had this rifle.

I'll bet .22 is the answer for the majority, although I think I was making baby food jar Molotov cocktails prior to that.

mp40 or something very similar looking gun. all I know is it was 9mm and automatic

Guns were not part of growing up with a single Mom. When I was in graduate school, age 22, one of my peers had his FFL and was into guns. Was first time living alone and I needed some comfort. He sold me a S&W 686 .357 Magnum.

First time I shot it was at my professor's property at a party he was having for all of his graduate students. Absolutely no regard or knowledge of gun safety. Looking back it was absolutely crazy what we did.

I don't think I even put 250 rounds through the gun. Last October, 24 years later, I became interested in CCW and shot a handgun for the first time since the grad school experience - the M&P9c that I bought for EDC. I still have the .357, bought 100 rounds of target ammo for it, but haven't shot it again yet. Trying to focus on my defensive shooting skills with my EDC.

This time I am doing it right - safety & training.

Doc

.22 single-shot bolt-action rifle at YMCA summer boy's camp.

Some sort of 22 at a summer camp at about 8 or so. First serious firing was a M-1, then a M-14, then a 30 cal MG, a Maw Deuce (tank mounted 50 cal), and finally an M-16. All compliments of our Uncle Sam in the mid-60's. Thinking of this list brought back some memories. Forgot about the M1911A1
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

My Dad's 16 gauge single shot shotgun, age 10 I'd say.....39 years ago.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Marlin 22 bolt action 22
    Cub scouts at the range

Don't remember the what the brand was, but it was some sort of .22lr bolt action. Shot it with a friend and his dad at some tin cans and whatnot in a gravel pit about 45 years ago at age 10.
    NRA Life Member

Dont remember the model but it was a Marlin,magazine fed,.22,front of the stock folded down into a pistol grip,haven't seen one in years,that one was Paw Paws,someone stole it

An M1 Carbine in 1963 with my dad's help. I was six. Seemed big and powerful at the time. Also shot a Marlin bolt action .22 of some sort long about the same time. The summer I was eleven I got to shoot handguns for the first time. They were an uncle's Smith & Wesson Model 15 .38 Special and also his "Artillery Model" U.S. issue Colt Single Action Army .45 Colt on separate occasions. Can't now recall which one was first. They were both loud and the .45 kicked hard. Went dove hunting that fall of 1968 and experienced a shotgun for the first time. Was a 12 gauge Fox hammer double barrel. We were standing on a short bank over a creek and an older cousin said "shoot the mud. It'll look neato." His little brother and I got well spattered. He had backed away. Was fun anyway.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My uncle taught me how to shoot a 1911 when I was a boy. He held it and let me pull the trigger until I was old enough to shoot it on my own. We shot empty cans from the tops of the fence posts. Before that, I had only shot BB guns.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links