First gun you ever fired?

This is a discussion on First gun you ever fired? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bolt action .22LR at summer camp (Camp Don Bosco) marksmanship classes....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First gun you ever fired?

Bolt action .22LR at summer camp (Camp Don Bosco) marksmanship classes.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by docpmd View Post
    guns were not part of growing up with a single mom. When i was in graduate school, age 22, one of my peers had his ffl and was into guns. Was first time living alone and i needed some comfort. He sold me a s&w 686 .357 magnum.

First time i shot it was at my professor's property at a party he was having for all of his graduate students. Absolutely no regard or knowledge of gun safety. Looking back it was absolutely crazy what we did.

I don't think i even put 250 rounds through the gun. Last october, 24 years later, i became interested in ccw and shot a handgun for the first time since the grad school experience - the m&p9c that i bought for edc. I still have the .357, bought 100 rounds of target ammo for it, but haven't shot it again yet. Trying to focus on my defensive shooting skills with my edc.

This time i am doing it right - safety & training.

Doc
    keep that gat!

It was my dad's S&W 38 SP when I was12. Out in the woods of a family friend. It was his first time shooting it as well as he bought it for protection during the riots of 67-68. Anyway, without ear protection, my ears were ringing for a week.

VIP Member
    Suppose I never fired my first gun yet.

VIP Member
    An old bolt-action single shot 22 a Remington I think. Used to take it to high school when squirrel and rabbit seasons opened, brought many a dinner home with it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

When I was a teenager back in the 60's and early 70's, we would take the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan(the Wall Street area). There was a gun range somewhere, I do not remember, and shot a 22 rifle.
    It's funny I saw this thread, I was just discussing this with family and friends just this week.

Colt 1911 10yrs old my father let me and my younger brother shoot with only one round in the mag
    My 8 yr old brother almost flipped over. I was glad about there was only be one round because we have no clue
    where the second shot would have went and everybody's pretty sure he would have fired another.

Dad bought a .22 rifle later that we'd shoot about once every year or two when we could get out camping.

Didn't get to shoot the .45 again 'til I was 17 or 18.

20 plus years later me and my Dad go to the range often and I love it when he offers to let me shoot THE .45 again.
    Love my weapons, but something real special about that 1911.

I was 10 years old and it was a single shot bolt action rifle at an NRA Junior Gun Safety Class at the National Guard Armory indoor shooting range in Glen Burnie, Maryland in 1956.

Some things you just don't forget.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Mine was a single shot Ithaca .410 in about 1965. I still have it. It looks like a rifle with a lever action that actually breaks the gun down.

A Daisy Red Ryder my dad bought for me prior to a camping trip, fond memories shooting cans and at sticks floating in the nearby river. The first "real" gun was a FIE double barreled 410 shotgun (purchased as a Christmas gift) No longer have the bb gun, but the 410 is about ten feet from me in the gun closet. Great discussion post, greater memories, thanks.

Remington 870 Wingmaster
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

A little 22 revolver when I was 6. Fell in love at that moment.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

DC
    My best friends sisters boyfriends shotgun when I was about 12. Scary at the time but so much fun. Allowed to go out on our own to shoot which I now question but my buddy had experience. It doesn't take much to get hooked.

A 12-gauge auto at about age 8. A family friend took me hunting once a year, and the first time we saw a squirrel he let me shoot. Yep, the roar was loud and the buck of the gun was painful - but I had a smile for days that said "please sir, may I have some more?"
    mano3 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    The first gun I remember shooting was my dad's Noble pump .22 when I was about 13 or 14. Shot lots of rabbits with it . Next was his 16 guage bolt action, my son has it now. I still have the .22, great gun.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links