First gun you ever fired?

This is a discussion on First gun you ever fired? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know what model, but it was a .22 single shot bolt action rifle that my grandfather used to teach Boy Scouts with. We ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First gun you ever fired?

I don't know what model, but it was a .22 single shot bolt action rifle that my grandfather used to teach Boy Scouts with. We fired it on his backyard when I was about 11 or 12. He lived in the middle of 40 acres at the time.

2. Remove Ads

30-30

My good friend at church let me shoot a few of his guns before I bought my first one. The first one was a lever action 30-30. The second one right after that was a sem-auto 30-06 with a scope on it. I shot the 30-06 and the scope slammed back and gave me a huge gash! My buddy Hershal couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes.

Hi rcsasxby, and welcome to the Forum!

Ol' Hershal has a bit of a twisted sense of humor to find a scope cut so amusing. Glad you stuck it out and still have an interest in shooting sports.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

.54 muzzle loader. My dad was big into black powder.

Winchester model 67A 22 single shot bolt action rifle when I was 8 years old. My dad bought it when I was born in 1951. I still have it; it still shoots great and is still in near perfect condition. When I was 12 he bought me a Savage bolt action 20 ga shotgun so I could hunt ducks. After I tried to eat the first two ducks I shot, it magically became a quail gun.

12 gauge single barrel Stevens shotgun,,,, belonged to
    my Dad,,,, I believe he sold it or traded it for a 22 rifle.
    We were squirrel hunting and it kicked like a mule,,, about
    12 or 13 years old at the time ,,,, 50+ years ago.

I was in 5th grade when I fired my first firearms. That day, Dad systematically had me fire a .22 rifle, a very cheap .22 revolver, 20 gauge shotgun, 12 gauge shotgun, 30-30 Winchester, and 45 cal muzzleloader and to respect and be safe with them. After Dad passed away, I inherited his firearms. Only recently did I take the 30-30 to the range to fire again after 30+ years (not a rifle you can use in Ohio for hunting). It sure did bring the memories back from that first day many years ago with Dad experiencing the rifles and shotguns for the first time.

Back in about 68... Dads High Standard 101 Dura-matic 22 then his Savage 24V 22/410...Wish a had both those guns now :( I'm 51 now and those guns were wheeled and dealed a long time ago
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Winchester bolt action single shot .22 from my grandfather. I still have it.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    First gun I have ever fired was also the first gun I owned even to this day, the H&K USP .40. And this was back in 1994 when I first took the basic gun safety course. I have pretty much came a long way since then.

First gun I ever shot was with my grandfather, an 1850s buggy rifle I believe it was a Hillard, made in New Hampshire , the next was a 1903 which he had in both WARS,still have the 03 shoots better than my $3500 br gun. The last gun of his I fired when he was alive was a 8Guage paradox gun put me on my a** so fast never knew you could hand carry an artillery piece

Hes dead 50 years and I still miss him; great man.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    A Beretta 92FS. I wanted one because that was the army issue and I thought if the army issued it, then it must be awesome. Ended up disliking it and getting a Glock 17. I am happy with the Glock and will be a Glock fan for a long long time.

Marlin Glenfield model 65C. My dad and I used to go down to the shale pits and shoot cans.

Winchester 59 .22 lr with my grandpa.

Really gonna age myself now. The first gun I fired was the M1 at Fort Jackson, SC in 1963.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links