Rifle/Scope Mismatch AAR and Nikon Monarch

This is a discussion on Rifle/Scope Mismatch AAR and Nikon Monarch within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently obtained an AR15 Bushmaster Varminter, My first AR! It was super cheap due to an divorce of a relative. She isn't a "gun ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DMan
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Rifle/Scope Mismatch AAR and Nikon Monarch

Rifle/Scope Mismatch AAR and Nikon Monarch

I recently obtained an AR15 Bushmaster Varminter, My first AR! It was super cheap due to an divorce of a relative. She isn't a "gun person" and due to a little domestic violence he is not allowed to own them. She sold them to me for super cheap (She has to split the proceeds with him, so she sold it super cheap!!!)

Anyway, when I picked it up I was surprised at the scope on it. It is a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Mildot scope. I am wondering if this scope sitting on top of the Bushmaster Varminter (24 inch heavy fully fluted barrel) is actually mismatched.

I am half tempted to change it out with my scope on my 30-06 that has a Nikon Buckmaster (BDC), however I have worked hard getting the 30-06 sighted in to cloverleaf consistently.
    oneyeopn likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    If you're going to use it for varmint hunting, it should be fine. Probably not the best choice for defensive use at close range. Pick up a decent red dot and change out the optic depending on the days mission.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I have not worked with AR's before so forgive me.. but if spend time sighting in the scope with my loads, how do I maintain that zero if I remove it and put a red dot on it.

Also, an AR with a 24 inch heavy barrel is never a great option for a close range SD situation. I would prefer a shotgun or handgun for that.

FYI total cost for this was $500.00!!!! (It also has never been shot, he bought it new and before he took it out, she filed the complaint. I think the "fight" was over the "unauthorized" purchase - hence her eagerness let me have it for cheap.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    The rail system on the weapon allows interchanging components with minimal shifts in your zero. .5MOA Quality parts = quality results.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Mismatched? Hardly! You've got a varmint gun, not a defensive carbine. You'll be taking deliberate, aimed shots, not reflexive, snap shots. In contrast, a 3-9x32 scope would be a mismatch.
    oneyeopn likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links