My dad is taking the plunge!

This is a discussion on My dad is taking the plunge! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well fellas, my father (who used to call me paranoid) has finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a HD firearm for himself and ...

Thread: My dad is taking the plunge!

My dad is taking the plunge!

Well fellas, my father (who used to call me paranoid) has finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a HD firearm for himself and my stepmom.

He bought a Springfield XDM .40 -- AND he's buying one of those fancy fingerprint-reading safes to keep by the bed.

I am proud of him, but he won't take my advice on other subjects. I guess it's just the "I'm dad and I know better even if I don't" scenario, which I completely understand. I'm trying to push him gently into taking a self-defense course, or even do some research on gun safety, self defense, etc.

He's a smart guy (obviously, he managed to raise me and my two sisters ) and he has good logic and common sense, and I'm sure he'll be just fine. I'm just all antsy to get him more knowledgable because for the longest time he made fun of me for having guns for anything other than hunting. He still thinks hollowpoints are for BG's, doesn't hold the weapon properly, thinks that HD scenarios only happen in the bedroom, thinks carrying is for criminals and police only, and thinks "shoot him in the leg" is a good idea.

I'll try to get him to come shooting with me some time :) but in the mean time, my question for you guys is this: Should I even bother trying to get him to better understand the responsibilities, defensive aspects, proper handling (all that stuff, etc), or should I just be the un-annoying son and let him figure that stuff out on his own? I love him to death and I want him to be as prepared as possible, but I don't know if he'll listen to me.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

2. Remove Ads

Should I even bother trying to get him to better understand the responsibilities, defensive aspects, proper handling (all that stuff, etc), or should I just be the un-annoying son and let him figure that stuff out on his own?

Let me first answer a question with a question. When your dad told you "listen to me, you need to take responsibility for XYZ [fill in the blank]" did you hop right to it and do what he told you to do?

My suggestion is to offer things like reading material (like maybe the Ayoob Files in American Handgunner), and maybe offer to pay for a CCW course to get him started - even if he doesn't intend to carry. Or take some other training together. My point is to create situations where he has information available to him if he wants it. This is a string you can't push across the table.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

DC
    Good luck in educating your dad. I hope he seeks the training on is own but IMO you should encourage him at every opportunity.

I'm curious as to why he needs the gun safe. Does he have children(guessing not) or other that he feels he needs to safeguard? I want immediate access to my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Good luck in educating your dad. I hope he seeks the training on is own but IMO you should encourage him at every opportunity.

I'm curious as to why he needs the gun safe. Does he have children(guessing not) or other that he feels he needs to safeguard? I want immediate access to my weapon.
    He's buying the safe in an attempt to keep it from getting stolen if there's a break-in while he's away from home. He should be able to access it quickly if there's a bump in the night, considering it's a fingerprint reading safe and he plans on installing it next to the bed. With me though I just keep it in my nightstand drawer, on me at all times, or if I have to, in my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Let me first answer a question with a question. When your dad told you "listen to me, you need to take responsibility for XYZ [fill in the blank]" did you hop right to it and do what he told you to do?

My suggestion is to offer things like reading material (like maybe the Ayoob Files in American Handgunner), and maybe offer to pay for a CCW course to get him started - even if he doesn't intend to carry. Or take some other training together. My point is to create situations where he has information available to him if he wants it. This is a string you can't push across the table.
    I certainly will. Money fortunately isn't an issue for my dad so it's more of a matter of me pointing him in the right direction and trying to get him to listen. And to answer your question, my pops is old fashioned, so believe it or not, I did listen to him 99% of the time. He saved his belt for when I was really bad, and the few times I was were enough to keep me from ignoring what he had to say ever again ;)

Links