"I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..." - Page 2

"I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

This is a discussion on "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..." within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All people are entitled to their opinion - even those who you strongly disagree with.Those opinions get confusing when the writer profess some level of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

All people are entitled to their opinion - even those who you strongly disagree with.Those opinions get confusing when the writer profess some level of expertise (real or implied). Most people, including those in law enforcement are, for the most part reasonable people. Yes, there are some in law enforcement that think they are in charge of all the laws related to firearms and only they can interpet "the law" and so they are in charge of all guns and that makes them experts. The truth is the laws aremade by the elected officials who are sworn to uphold the Constitution upon taking office. LEO's are also sworn to uphold the law - but they cannot make the law. So, do you need to have an "assault rifle"? That's up to you but I wouldn't get all jiggy about what this guy said.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

VIP Member
    Anyone who doesn't know the difference between a clip and a magazine probably doesn't know the difference between a battlefield assault rifle and a Winchester 94.
    OD*, mook012, DaveH and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use, with ammunition that will penetrate body armor. I have met exactly zero criminals who have possessed and have been wearing body armor. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I have to wonder why someone would purchase ammunition or a weapon for that purpose. Do you need an AR-15 with 30-round clips to defend your house? From what? Terrorists? If you live in the country, then you can maybe justify it. But in an urban environment, I say no.
    In my opinion the author showed his lack of knowledge and/or ignorance with the statement above. Odds are (if he really is a LEO) he wears Type III-A body armor. It is designed for protection from high velocity handgun rounds, not rifles. So it makes no difference if it's a single shot hunting rifle, or a semi auto chambered in 7.62X39, or .223 or .308. The round is going to penetrate the vest. My guess is if he is associated with a police department, it is probably as a Public Affairs representative and has no idea what the day to day life of a street officer is.
    DaveH and 64zebra like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    One of the major original justifications that the Police used for needing more advanced higher capacity AR type patrol rifles was that they were being "outgunned" by criminals.

So...wouldn't those same criminals be simultaneously outgunning law abiding private citizens as well?

Or do criminals only "outgun" Law Enforcement Officers and then switch to less effective weaponry when they target law abiding private citizens?
    Bark'n, suntzu, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

Administrator
    Addition.....He said...

"I have met exactly zero criminals who have possessed and have been wearing body armor."

In that case I would say to that officer...

Then what do YOU need an "assault" type firearm with a 30 round "CLIP" for?
    DaveH, 64zebra and mikepd like this.

I just seriously dislike all those closet anti-gunners who start off their diatribe with... "I support the 2A, BUT..."

B.S.!! Who are they kidding? They don't support crap about the 2A!
    DaveH and 64zebra like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I actually prefer the term combat rifle to assault rifle. I "correct" everyone who tries to use that inflammatory word.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Man I'm glad I live in the country so its ok for me to have one.

People forget why we have the 2nd Amendment and it has no "BUTS" in it
    oneshot and 64zebra like this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    By definition couldn't every weapon be an "assault" weapon?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

If I tag you at 600 meters with my 700p,you have clearly been"Assaulted",so a definition of an assault weapon is always in question!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Man I'm glad I live in the country so its ok for me to have one.

People forget why we have the 2nd Amendment and it has no "BUTS" in it

Well, that would depend on how far out in the country you live.

I think if you live 10 miles out of the city it would be OK for ordinary citizens to own a 10 round "clip" - 15 miles out of the city a 15 rounder should be fine - 30 miles out in the country then a 30 round "clip" would be cool. For every additional mile you live out in the country - add one more bullet.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    QK I live 111 miles from the nearest actual "city" but not quite that far from the nearest "city limits"

I don't own a "Combat Rifle" because I live in the country I own one because I can and every American should have that choice also.

"A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    Rock and Glock likes this.

The need to own a 'assault' weapon is simply BECAUSE I WANT ONE, this is america dirtbag, this same arument can be used for big houses, suv's, lambo's and other exotic sports car, anything that may not be nessary, in america if ya want you can have it
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I don't own an "assault rifle", but I do own several "defensive carbines". Semantics. I don't plan on assaulting anyone, but I do plan on defending myself if need be.

So this officer never saw a criminal with body armor. Has he ever seen the shoot out with those bank robbers in LA?
    64zebra and mikepd like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links