"I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

This is a discussion on "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..." within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can you believe the nerve of this guy? It's hard to believe an LEO, has the right to exercise their 1st Amd rights! Isn't there ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

Can you believe the nerve of this guy? It's hard to believe an LEO, has the right to exercise their 1st Amd rights! Isn't there a law against that?
    mel likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Never said he couldn't have his opinion that is his 1st amendment right my opionion is merely my 1st amendment right.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Can you believe the nerve of this guy? It's hard to believe an LEO, has the right to exercise their 1st Amd rights! Isn't there a law against that?
    He is certainly entitled to his opinion. I suspect most of us here would defend that right, but that does not mean we have to believe that his opinion is correct. He should feel free to voice his opinion, but he should also understand that if people disagree, they may feel free to state why they disagree.
    DaveH likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

This guy is looking for political gain...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

My point is, so what's the difference in him or any other anti out there regardless of occupation? They are everywhere.
    And, I might add, he's just another of many who use their position to voice their opinions. Big deal.
    DaveH likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't think most people need AR type rifles either and I have one. But, I have a lot of other stuff that I don't NEED also. Part of the joy of working is having the money to buy stuff that you don't need. If I just wanted food, water, and shelter; I could do that. I don't need the flat screen television to watch the Superbowl. I don't need two cars. But, I also don't need people who want to tell me that I can't have something just because I don't need it.
    DaveH likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Sponsor
    Glockman10mm, I can certainly see where you are coming from. The reason why I have greater issue with this guy than the average joe freedom hating anti-gunner (freedom hating and anti-gunner go together right? haha, maybe to far...) is because the portion of the public that isn't educated on issues surrounding the second amendment are likely to hold what he has said to a high standard. Take the Clinton gun ban and the renewed interest last year in banning high capacity magazines for example, In most news articles I've seen concerning that type of legislation I see quotes from LEO's suggesting that the civilian population doesn't need 30 rounds in a magazine and that it is simply a tool for mass murder. Sure that specific LEO doesn't speak for every officer out there, however the media understands that people look up to LEO's, value there opinions, and often consider them subject matter experts on guns. I think that LEO's are in a position to either help or hurt the second amendment in a significant way. Its those fence sitters that will be swayed by the comments this guy makes.

I certainly support his right to express his opinions, I wouldn't suggest that we take that away from him in any way. I'm just feel this article was good illustration of how the media postures law enforcement against the second amendment. Additionally, as I mentioned in the previous post, this article just frustrated me generally and I wanted to vent about it to a group of like minded people .

-Clay

Sponsor
    To go off on a bit of a tangent. I found this trend in articles supporting a limitation of magazine capacities. They would first detail why high cap magazines (I prefer to call them standard capacity magazines, but for understanding I'll use the media phrase) are dangerous to society using quotes from politicians and LEO's (And usually some idiot civilian they say is an "avid hunter and outdoorsman") saying they are only for the purpose of killing lots of people quickly, and they provide no advantage for the average american defending themselves. Yet in the same article they point out that there is an exception for high capacity magazine for LEO's and retired LEO's.

They can't have it both ways, either they admit that there is a viable reason to having such magazines (by stating that LEO's need them), or they are suggesting that LEO's and Retires LEO's need to kill a lot of people quickly and they are OK with that. Which is it?

(I suppose the third option is simply "A shoulder thing that goes up", that answer seems to work well for them when they don't have a clue and would make just as much sense in this situation)

Sorry for the tangent,
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    To go off on a bit of a tangent. I found this trend in articles supporting a limitation of magazine capacities. They would first detail why high cap magazines (I prefer to call them standard capacity magazines, but for understanding I'll use the media phrase) are dangerous to society using quotes from politicians and LEO's (And usually some idiot civilian they say is an "avid hunter and outdoorsman") saying they are only for the purpose of killing lots of people quickly, and they provide no advantage for the average american defending themselves. Yet in the same article they point out that there is an exception for high capacity magazine for LEO's and retired LEO's.

They can't have it both ways, either they admit that there is a viable reason to having such magazines (by stating that LEO's need them), or they are suggesting that LEO's and Retires LEO's need to kill a lot of people quickly and they are OK with that. Which is it?

(I suppose the third option is simply "A shoulder thing that goes up", that answer seems to work well for them when they don't have a clue and would make just as much sense in this situation)

Sorry for the tangent,
    Clay
    Pretty much sums their logic up it seems.

Michael

My counter to people like that at any level of society is this:

"Since we are Citizens of this nation, all public servants are in OUR employ, we do not work to provide them with power and position; what separates us from the rest of the world is the fact that we are in the context of civil rights a classless society; therefore we have the same unalienable human rights every public official does and therefore if a police officer can possess an assault rifle and a pistol to defend themselves then so should we."

That usually shuts them down.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I've never needed my AR, so far.

Why do you need that fishing pole ? I don't believe you should be allowed to have one unless you really need it to catch fish for food and to survive.

Same logic. There are lots of rifles that will shoot thru most body armour worn by the police. Around here, anyone who deer hunts or shoots coyotes has a rifle that will penetrate body armour.

The officer who made the comments, is an idiot and must live in a large NE USA city, where the real world doesn't seem to apply to them.

The 1st amendment says he's entitled to his opinion, even if he uses it too look like a fool. He is entitled to show his ignorance on the subject anytime he choses.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Citizens don't NEED sports cars, they cause speeding.
    Citizens don't NEED big trucks, they cause accidents and injuries.
    Citizens don't NEED fire extinguishers, they are difficult to use in an emergency. Just call the fire department.
    Citizens don't NEED a first aid kit, injuries should be tended to by a professional.
    Citizens don't NEED theater sized TVs.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Here we go again Brady bill . Define Assault weapon. Any weapon used is an Assault weapon. Brady defined it by the way it looked, how did that work out?
    Assault is action not a Noun

I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use, with ammunition that will penetrate body armor. I have met exactly zero criminals who have possessed and have been wearing body armor. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I have to wonder why someone would purchase ammunition or a weapon for that purpose. Do you need an AR-15 with 30-round clips to defend your house? From what? Terrorists? If you live in the country, then you can maybe justify it. But in an urban environment, I say no.
    I believe this officer is not looking at this subject so much as a citizen with rights and freedom as much as he is from his perspective as a police officer. A government worker.
    From his perspective the more rights and freedoms a citizen has the harder his job is to preform. The perfect balance of rights to powers for him is one that makes his job safer and easier for him while still giving ordinary citizens just enough freedom to make them believe they are free.

Michael
    Eagleks likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links