"I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

This is a discussion on "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..." within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What does “need” have to do with the American way? Do we “need” : Cars that can exceed the speed limit, sometimes more than twice ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

VIP Member

Question “Need”?

What does “need” have to do with the American way?

Do we “need”:

Cars that can exceed the speed limit, sometimes more than twice the max speed limit?

SUV & trucks that can haul or tow far more than their owners will ever haul or tow, again often well above the speed limit?

More vehicles registered to private owners than there are licensed drivers?

The square footage of the average new single-family detached home?

Monster flat screen TVs in those homes?

Cell phones for instant gratification – especially while driving?

All the rest of the high tech devices to provide instant gratification – excuse me, connectivity / communication?

Devices w/ 4G connections, which many consumers would not recognize even if 4G hit him or her in face?

To be answering those devices in restaurants, churches, and all sort of other public places?

Supper fast computers and links to play games in real time?

A plethora of fast food chains and local joints serving far more fat and calories in a meal than a body needs in a day?

Store shelf after store shelf and freezers full of high-salt, high-fat, high-caloric, caffeine added, adulterated foods?

Store shelves stacked with beer after beer brand, including many from around the world?

Bin after bin of fresh out-of-season and non-local produce flown in from around the world?

Do I like some or most of those? You bet.

Once we as a society actually function on “need”, I’ll consider “need” relative to the availability of a gun.

In the meantime, I’ll work on the same level of “want” not “need” that we-as-a-society operate on — across the board.

In just over four hours, I grab a Scottish ale, some high-salt-high-fat-high-caloric munches, sit down in front of my flat screen and watch the instant / near real time coverage of the Super Bowl. It's the American way. I wouldn't even need to read about it tomorow. But quess want I want?
    Stubborn likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Man I'm glad I live in the country so its ok for me to have one.

People forget why we have the 2nd Amendment and it has no "BUTS" in it

The butts are the ones who write the stuff the OP and the rest of us are ranting about.
    CowboyColby likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    It doesn't bother me much when somebody develops their personal opinions based on their personal observations and experiences. That is the way its supposed to be... right? It actually bothers me more when people get up and arms over somebodys opinion that doesn't matter anyway.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    I could careless if anybody thinks I need a Sturmgewehr or not.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I read the entire column, and I seriously doubt the authenticity of the writer. The language, nuances and terminology just don't add up to an actual LEO.
    I was about to say exactly the same thing.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I've never needed my AR, so far.
    I've never needed my TV, so far. Hasn't stopped me from using it, though!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

He would definitely dislike all of the people out there with a Lebel Berthier, a Mosin Nagant, an M1-A, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    he is entitled to his opinion, I think its total crap though
    as a cop i enjoy people owning guns, and I don't care if its a .22 or an AR-10, everyone should have the ability to own ARs or whatever else they want with whatever size mags they want
    ....and I'll add....we have busted dirtbags here that had body armor at their houses and in vehicles
    I'm working on building my wife an AR with a suppressor with the sole purpose for her to defend the house if I'm out (no blasting her ear drums and it can go though armor....yes thats exactly why I'm looking at it)

I think a cop having an anti mentality is a complete oxymoron.....cops have gone to semi-autos with hi-cap mags because they wanted more firepower against the dirtbags....they have rifles/shotguns to be used in situations where having the firepower is necessary, they carry backups because sometimes they are needed.....no difference in them (us) needing them and any non-LEO needing them in whatever situation may arise

I'd rather see more people defending themselves and sending the point home with the dirtbags that what they are doing is detrimental to their well-being
    DaveH and Stubborn like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

"I do not see why a colonist would need a rifle" said the british
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I LOVE my rights, all of them. So much so, I decided to serve in the military for a few years, do my part etc etc.

I for one simply enjoy the fun of going to the range with my AK and my AR with dozens of 30 round magazines! Talk about a good time. Forget about self-defense, I've got plenty other firearms options for a would be intruder, better options at that.

I don't NEED an assault rifle, but the bottom line is liberty.

One day I would like to retire to a nice piece of land, with a pond for fishing and a safe area to enjoy all my firearms, especially my assault rifles with high capacity magazines.
    Everyday, amateur gun enthusiast. Active duty, Army.
    Read my gun blog!
    MyGunDiary.com

VIP Member
    And armor piercing ammo???? Ninja Please! A .22 cal squirrel rifle will pass right through my Level III vest without really slowing down.
    Speaking of myths....

No, a .22LR bullet will NOT pass right through a Lvl III vest. For starters, there are no true Lvl III "vests" - Lvl III armor is hardened steel or ceramic that will stop many high powered, centerfire rifle rounds. The highest rated "soft" armor vests are Lvl IIIA, and these will stop just about any handgun round, up to and including .44 Magnum. A Lvl I vest, the lowest rating asssigned by the NIJ, will stop 40gr .22LR lead round nose bullets at up to 1050 fps. While there are certainly heavier, faster, and more "armor defeating" designs out there in .22LR, the idea that they will "pass right through" a Lvl IIIA (or certainly Lvl III) ballistic vest is simply, and completely, false.
    64zebra likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

How Much?

Quote Originally Posted by mwhich50 View Post
    I saw (camera video) on the news, four men committing a home invasion. All were armed and they kicked the door in and rushed into the house. They were repelled by a senior citizen with a shotgun, but he was lucky they were incompetent home invaders and gunfighters. I was thinking to myself, how would you defend yourself against that type of attack?
    "20-30 round ASSAULT RIFLE" is the only logical answer.
    A story in Topeka Kansas from last year indicated a woman was killed in a home invasion of up 11 people. Tell me again what weapon and how many rounds I need to protect the home!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    AMEN...EXACTLY...the Second Amendment is not about home defense, or duck hunting, or even deer hunting.
    DamnitBob likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by DamnitBob View Post
    A story in Topeka Kansas from last year indicated a woman was killed in a home invasion of up 11 people. Tell me again what weapon and how many rounds I need to protect the home!
    Autoloader 12 gauge and a drum mag? Might not be much left of the front of the house, but the law-abiding innocents would be OK.
    DamnitBob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    To put it in ever closer perspective instead of saying "said the British" you could have said your government. The Brits you speak of were not some foreign power at the time. They were our government. It was our government telling us we did not need to be armed.
    We did not win our freedom from a foreign country. We won it by over throwing our government. Not a comfortable thought for those who are in government. Sometimes people find it convenient to overlook that fact.

Michael

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links