"I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

This is a discussion on "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..." within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, first of all.. I believe the purpose of the 2A was not for fighting off criminals. I believe it was to keep the government ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: "I however do not understand the need to own an assault rifle for private use..."

Well, first of all.. I believe the purpose of the 2A was not for fighting off criminals. I believe it was to keep the government in check. And if we were fighting a war against our own government (think Libya or Syria as some examples) I'd much prefer to be armed with an AR-15 than with a .22LR of some kind.

Having said that, I've yet to see any news stories of crimes being committed with military style assault weapons.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see that regular criminals go for these types of weapons.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post

Having said that, I've yet to see any news stories of crimes being committed with military style assault weapons.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see that regular criminals go for these types of weapons.
    Oh it's happened before where I was raised. But still, no law abiding gunowner should be deprived of his/her right to own an assault weapon or something that looks like an assault weapon because of its misuse by criminals who don't care about the law. The govt. should concentrate more on crime control and tougher sentencing, not adding more restrictions on law abiding citizens. And that idiot cop, who don't even have the guts to reveal his identity, give cops a bad name to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, first of all.. I believe the purpose of the 2A was not for fighting off criminals. I believe it was to keep the government in check. And if we were fighting a war against our own government (think Libya or Syria as some examples) I'd much prefer to be armed with an AR-15 than with a .22LR of some kind.

I have seen an increase in military style rifles in use by criminals over the past few years. Generally speaking they are either AK type semi-automatic rifles or SKS rifles. We had a couple of gang member/drug dealers shoot up a rival gang member/drug dealers' neighborhood with an AK type rifle not too long ago. Of course they didn't manage to hit the guy they were shooting at, but they did wound a couple of folks who were not involved. It really isn't that unusual to see criminals using semi-automatic rifles. It isn't nearly as common as the Lorcin/Jennings/Hi-Point, but it isn't unheard of either.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    This cop is the type that doesn't serve the public he serves to better only himself. It seems that he has been given a badge special privelages and is now an elitist he is is of the mindset he is better than anybody that is not in LE. I would bet he would be the first person to carry out an order to confiscate guns, he would also be willing to label folks into categories and possible rounding certain folks up only to move them to "camps". Well officer the reason why civilian needs an assault rifle is so he can have a voice, and in a world in which only you have an assault rifle that citizen doesn't have one. God forbid the day may ever come but there could come the day when you in your pressed uniform are the criminal. Therefore my assault rifle is will be there to defend myself from you. O just an FYI rember that oath you took you may want to go back and actually read what it says instead of writing something that makes you out to be a lier and a hypocrite.
    64zebra and FTG-05 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

With that logic we also don't need car's that give us 9 miles to the gallon,a home that is more than you need and so on. This is America,land of the free.If you choose to own a rifle with 5 rounds,good for you but if someone wants one with 30 who is anyone to make that decision for them in a country that is free..for now.

As has been said before, in the USA there should be no need to justify the use of any legal item for its intended legal purpose. We are a nation of laws not mindsets of those who feel differently than others.

Opinions are protected but imposing will without due process is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    So if you load an AR with 31 rounds and sit it in a room, how long does it take for it to commit an assault? [RANT]I really hate the term "assault rifle". It is simply a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round mag. What one does with it defines the person, not the weapon.[/RANT]
    I could care less if you don't like the term "assault rifle" when I am trying to describe specialized self-defense or military style rifles. To me there will always be two major classifications of rifles: hunting rifles and assault rifles. Gun snobs get on my nerves; get over it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links