Firearm Dilema-Need/Want Suggestions

This is a discussion on Firearm Dilema-Need/Want Suggestions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry for the lenghth, I tried to keep is short. Here is first part of my dilema. I have an FIE Titan .25 auto that ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oneyeopn
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By Eaglebeak
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Firearm Dilema-Need/Want Suggestions

Sorry for the lenghth, I tried to keep is short.

Here is first part of my dilema. I have an FIE Titan .25 auto that I bought in the early 1980's. It is a little cheapie pop gun, but is in really good shape because I hardly shot the thing. Bought it on a whim. I think it may be worth about $75 give or take a dollar even though I paid about $50 or more when I bought it. I really don't need it, I have several other handguns.

The LGS I haunt is sort of a pawn/gun shop. I have outright purchased a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and a Ruger LCR .357 last year at their store. I was there the other day and they have another "used" Tula Arsenal Mosin for $95. I was tempted to buy it because the one I have is Izhevsk Arsenal.

They also have an M1 Garand for a little over $800 that I drooled upon. My point is should I trade in the .25 pop gun on another type weapon?

Second part of my dilema. I have a cheap Universal Arms .30 Caliber Carbine with a non functioning extractor. It kind of broke when I was at the range last year with it. It will still fire the round, just not extract the spent cartridge. I can get parts but not being a gunsmith, I really don't know if I could repair it myself.

Should I try to trade it in and get what I can with the non functioning extractor? Should I try to get the parts and have a qualified gunsmith repair it and then trade it for a better quality firearm? Part of me thinks that it may cost more to get parts and have it repaired than trade it in present condition and let the gun shop people have it repaired.

Any suggestions will be quite welcome.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Hey:
    I may trade guns but I never trade in guns. I have never seen anywhere where you get even close to what something is worth when trading it in. I would consider using one of the Auction sites.
    The .30 caliber carbine, may be cheap but those kinds of guns are selling for a premium at this time. So I would do a little research on what the new part would cost and research what similar firearms are selling for before I were to attempt to trade it in or sell it. This is all just my opinion though. Have a great day!
    JoJoGunn likes this.

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

VIP Member
    I would think you should take the .30 carbine in to a gunsmith and ask how much to fix.
    How much HE thinks its worth, in both unrepaired and repaired condition.
    Base your decision on that.The .25 cal. is almost wothless in a trade, usually, but you can try.

If you like the Garand, and its bore/barrel is in great shape, and is an American made- Not a Norinco or other foreign made, than I would say go for that. See if they will allow you a lay-away on it if you cannot afford the whole price up front.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'd do a little online research to see what your .30 cal is currently selling for, then do a little more quick research to determine the cost of the replacement extractor and what some local gunsmith would charge to replace it. Generally, trying to sell or trade something that's NFG (non-functional gear ) is only going to bring you pennies on the dollar of its actual value. Weigh the cost differences between its working value and repair expense, then go from there.

As already mentioned, you're always going to get burned on any "trade-in"; so selling the guns for what you can get out of them and putting the cash on what you want is always going to work out better for you.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

I have researched Numrich and found that the "parts" needed to fix the ejector/extractor may well not total more than $20 so that is a thought.

I have a 1921 Spanish Mauser that had a broken firing pin and Numrich had the entire bolt for $65. I did that and it fixed the problem.

A bolt action is one thing, a semi auto is another. I'm leaning on getting as many "parts" as I can and then see which gunsmith will do the repair for the least amount.

I like M1 Carbines, just want a real one instead of the Universal. I bought it on a whim as well in 1982 when a local dept. store went out of business. Scored it for $120 so I think it may still have some value even though it is not military spec.

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it. Sometimes we have tough decisions to make and the forum really helps.
    oneyeopn likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links