WTB 22LR - could use advice

This is a discussion on WTB 22LR - could use advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a 22 LR that will eventually belong to my son (he is 4 yrs old now). I really want something he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: WTB 22LR - could use advice

I am looking for a 22 LR that will eventually belong to my son (he is 4 yrs old now). I really want something he can grow into.

Here is what I am looking to get out of it...

Would prefer bolt or semi-auto but am not opposed to lever.
    Would prefer a wood stock over polymer but if polymer I would like a solid stock rather than hollow.
    Would like to keep the price tag low (under $350).
    I am not opposed to a used weapon but would like to have new if possible.

NOT interested in a single shot like a Cricket or the Henry Collapsible.

any input or suggestions are welcome. I do have an FFL that will help me with the process.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Ruger 10/22
    azchevy likes this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

VIP Member
    I asked a similar question here a couple months ago; Would like advice on .22 rifle for my son

There's some good advice in there. Oh yeah, I ended up getting him the Marlin. He's hitting milk jugs with iron sights at 150 yds with it.

Wonderbra

My only issue with the Ruger is the Clinton Era Gun bans they endorsed... Otherwise it would have been among the first choices... Add that to the list... I don't want a ruger,.

WHEC thanks a ton... That CZ scout is really looking good. Anyone know if you can mount a scope to it?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Didn't they issue an apology for that? I just think it is the best .22 LR Rifle with the most options at the price.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Either this: Marlin Model 60

or this: (if you can find one): Marlin 81TS 22 S-L-LR Marlin Rifles > Modern > Bolt/Pump for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from RAE GUNS. Buy or bid on this Marlin 81TS 22 S-L-LR in the category Marlin Rifles > Modern > Bolt/Pump on GunsAmerica.

Both are tube fed, my favorite system. I hate magazines on a .22 rifle.

Consider this tho - A semi-Auto is not going to cycle .22 long, short or Subsonics, or snake shot, etc, only Long Rifle (LR). However, the bold action like the Model 81TS will cycle whatever you put in it. So will a lever action. Just something to consider. Subsonics are fun to shoot in a bolt or lever action.

IMO Tube fed bolt or lever is the way to go.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Administrator
    Yes, you can mount a scope to a CZ scout. I bought one for my boy a while back. It's hands down the best .22 for the money.

Also, I'm moving this out of the buy sell trade until you know what you're after.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Not to use myself as a model, I learned on a single shot bolt action 22lr rifle. Later, when I was able to earn the money, I bough an auto loader. It was a tough choice between that and lever.

I know I'm letting my personal experience into the discussion, but hey, it worked for me. And since the sort of guns are not expensive, I think you should start with whatever you think will teach good habits.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Personally, I would stay away from a bolt action until you are certain of his eye dominance and whether he is truly right handed. Whatever he turns out to be, a lever OR semi will work easily.

Chris

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    If not Ruger you can still buy American! How about Henry Rifles: Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Ruger 10/22. 10K modifications available. Here's my latest. Frankly, inside of 100 yds, I'm shooting better than the AR. Plink empty 12 gauge shells at 50 yds. Crap!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    CZ 452 and if you can find the Supr Brno and or the 'OF 2500' series...jump on it.

even at ~$400 theyare the best value since the Sig Trailside.
    google kevin brooks for the $15 trigger upgrade.
    you will be making holes in lifesavers at 100 yards.

mine sports a nikon 3-9x40

its ammo sensitive (as most 22's are) and with its 'right' ammo i will put it against
    anything else at any price out to 100 yards
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well, you asked for the best .22 LR gun for your son to start with and dismissed it. The Ruger 10/22 is hands down the best rifle to start out with. They typically have shorter stocks than other manufacturers options, and are incredibly rugged and reliable. It's what I learned to shoot with. My Father's 10/22 is older than I am, and is still a tack driver after all these years. Granted, outside of the thousand or so rounds I put through it in a couple of years, the gun has had very light use.

However, the stock is too short for me now as compared to when I was starting to shoot 12. I now own a CZ 452. It's a great gun, but the factory stock length makes it too long for a young shooter to use.

You really should re-think the no Ruger policy. The 10/22 rifle has been the number one .22 LR gun for so long because it really is that good. Also, Bill Ruger who took an anti-gun stance on some issues is dead now, and those policies are no longer part of Sturm Ruger company.

SFury makes a strong point. The 10/22 is a great gun, just one of the reasons it's the favorite of the Appleseed Project, which is making Riflemen out of thousands or everyday citizens each year.

Not buying a Ruger today because you disagree with Bill Ruger's decision nearly a generation ago makes as much sense as not buying a Toyota or a BMW because we were at war with those company's native countries 70 years ago. Bill Ruger was a sharp guy and thought his company's best commercial interests lay in a compromise position. Recognize that a big part of Ruger is Pinetree Castings, one of the top stainless steel investment casting houses in the US, and revenues in that business may have been put at risk with the Clinton administration and their toadies if Ruger drew a hard line like Ronnie Barrett did with his tiny, non-publicly-traded company. Are you one of those Smith & Wesson holdouts, too?

The nice thing about the 10/22 is that it's small enough for a kid yet big enough for an adult. I'd recommend you re-think your position on Ruger and enjoy a really fun and reliable gun that's brought enjoyment to millions of Americans.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I love my Smith & Wessons. I just have a very hard time with Ruger. I will not rule them out, but they are definitely not first on my list.
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links