Ruger 45 Colt Single Action bullet size

This is a discussion on Ruger 45 Colt Single Action bullet size within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel today. This is my first 45 Colt. Anyone have experience with bullet size for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Ruger 45 Colt Single Action bullet size

I picked up my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel today. This is my first 45 Colt. Anyone have experience with bullet size for these? I have heard a lot about the possible undersized throats on Rugers. I have lots of .452 XTPs I can load up. I would also like to shoot some cast bullets. What size cast would you recommend? Also should I just have my barrel and throats slugged before loading a lot of bullets?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Current Ruger .45 Colt guns would work well with .452 diameter cast lead bullets. The .454 diameter, formerly standard with .45 Colt chambered revolvers, is only found on old Colt revolvers from the pre-WWII era. The bore of a .45 Colt chambered Colt New Service I have slugs .453 and it was made in 1910-1911. The chamber throats measure .455. It shoots well with both .452 bullets or .454 bullets. I have bulk supplies of both kinds on hand.

Now, tolerances being what they are, one might find a modern Ruger with an oversized bore or an old Colt bored tight but for all intents and purposes, the modern .45 Colt revolver is intended to feature a .452 bore.

It wouldn't hurt to slug the bore and the chamber throats just so you know what you are working with.
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Been using. 452 in my Black Hawk for over 35 year's now...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I checked out my cylinder throats today and measured them with a digital caliper (I know thats not the most accurate way to measure them) and I got .449-.450. I dropped a .452 XTP in the throats and its VERY tight. I MIGHT could beat it in with a hammer. I havent slugged the barrel yet. Those throats seem tight to me for .452 jacketed bullet.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Sponsored Links