Securing a gun on a motorcycle?

This is a discussion on Securing a gun on a motorcycle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I'm employed as a unarmed security officer, Florida law prohibits me from carrying while on duty. However, I still carry on the way to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Securing a gun on a motorcycle?

Securing a gun on a motorcycle?

Since I'm employed as a unarmed security officer, Florida law prohibits me from carrying while on duty. However, I still carry on the way to work, then disarm and lock it in a safe tethered to m passenger seat. That works fine for my current vehicle, a Toyota Tacoma, but I'd like to get a motorcycle. Any of y'all know of a way to discretely secure a firearm on a motorcycle while I'm at work?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Motorcycle and secure don't really go together. The motorcycle is just too easy to steal, and there are so few places to hide anything.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have a locking top box from a police bike, you would have to take the whole bike or use a torch to get it. Soft bags are no good, but a steel cable can be run thru holes in the back and around the bike frame and thru the gun's frame.
    barstoolguru and ccman like this.

Don't do it. Either have it on your person, or don't carry it with you period.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

not optimal but

When I am forced to disarm on my bike I have a cable lock through the rear frame stay inside a softbag. I field strip the slide and leave the frame cable locked in the soft case. If they do steal the bike I have a non working slide and they have a non functioning handgun frame.

I use the Center Mass Gun Locker with the cable wrapped around the frame.

Depends upon the gun. Most 5-shot .357's fit really nicely into the left side locking panel on the left side. I'm sure some smaller 9 mm's, .380's, etc. would fit there easiliy as well.

There are lock boxes that you can securely attach to the bike that will conceal a gun. They are made for bikes, and aren't BIG, but will hold a gun. I've seen many that are put in locations you'ld never notice.

I sometimes keep one there, and also put my CC gun in my bags and lock them, with a motion detector alarm on the bike.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I'm a bit squeamish about leaving anything on my bike unattended. No need for bad guys to cut cables or even locks. Thieves have been known to just pick up a full sized Harley and load it on the back of a truck. Not that hard for a few guys to do.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Don't do it. Either have it on your person, or don't carry it with you period.
    Really good advice. But I also ride often and like to keep my gun with me. I also have a job at a residential treatment center, which means no guns for me either. Best solution is a locked hard bag if possible, if not, a concealable spot somewhere on the bike. If your bike gets stolen, a couple hundred dollar gun should be the smaller of your worries. I wouldn't leave a gun worth more than a couple hundred dollars on my unattended bike. Kel tec maybe.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Family first, that's why I carry.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The biggest problem once you know where you want to put it, is how to go about it without being spotted. On a bike we don't have the luxury of making moves in semi-private or being screened by a door. Crossing various state lines and going from carrying to stored is easy here in the West where those places are usually desert, but in the parking lot at the courthouse or post office is a whole different story.

Not that hard.... depends upon where you have it though. I've had no issues 'putting' it where I keep it without anyone catching on at all.... it's putting it back on that's more the issue.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Not that hard.... depends upon where you have it though. I've had no issues 'putting' it where I keep it without anyone catching on at all.... it's putting it back on that's more the issue.
    Just curious, where do you ”hide” yours eagle?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Family first, that's why I carry.

Bad call all the way around leaving a weapon on a motorcycle in any manner. Too easily compromised.

And I also include all cars with that unless you have a welded strong box in the trunk. Windows are easily broken out. Trunks can be popped in seconds, and many cars have a trunk release inside the passenger compartment anyway - true story: a person here in Austin had an inside the glove box trunk release disabled under the dash while his car was parked in a multi-story garage. Bad guy(s) just tore loose the dash and reconnected the wires, gaining access to weapons secured in the trunk. So much for that trick.

I hate the idea of riding unarmed, but, then again, because I am a cop in Texas, I don't have to worry about leaving it on my Vmax or Morphous just to go inside any location, which I agree is completely stupid and unfair to press upon civilians.

Every study completed has shown Concealed Carry Holders are no more threat to society than a person's having a driver license. Criminals do not worry about getting a "permit" and by definition do not care about a law or business policy banning weapons.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Here is what we do. I do not like carrying on a belt holster when riding, especially when my wife and I are riding two up. So if I am not going to need to take my jacket off, I wear a shoulder holster. In the summer, we carry off person in a Maxpedition Versiopack. It is locked in the hard side compartments on my bike. I realize off person in a bag is not ideal, but everything is a compromise. The advantage is nobody sees you arm/disarm, just getting a bag out. Frankly, if someone breaks open the side bag its is going to cost a lot more than the gun anyway. The same goes for stealing the whole bike. I am not overly concerned about that either, with a 910 pound bike, with the forks turned and locked it is no small effort to "walk away". Its all insured.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It's not the price of the stolen gun that you need to worry about; it's the value of the life that could be taken by irresponsibly allowing it to fall in the wrong hands.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links