Defensive Carry banner

Police: Man accidentally shoots self at gun show

2K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Jason Storm 
#1 ·
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a Georgia man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Savannah gun show.

Police say 26-year-old Charles Lake was leaving the gun show at the Savannah Civic Center around 5:10 p.m. Sunday when he discharged a round into his leg while re-loading his pistol.

Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller says Lake bought the pistol at the gun show on Saturday and had returned Sunday to purchase another gun. Police say he was re-loading the pistol in the parking lot because loaded guns weren't allowed inside the gun show.

The Savannah Morning News reports Lake was taken to Memorial University Medical Center with an injury not considered life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.

Savannah-Chatham police are investigating the incident.

#5 ·
Stuff happens.

No matter how careful we are, there is always the possibility of a nano second lapse in judgement and negligent things will occcur. Think of all the auto accidents that could be prevented as well.

However, this is the incident that anti firearm people look for as evidence to support their need to eliminate guns in society.

This kid has learned a valuable albeit painful and expensive lesson when handling a loaded firearm.

#14 ·
Stuff happens.

No matter how careful we are, there is always the possibility of a nano second lapse in judgement and negligent things will occcur. Think of all the auto accidents that could be prevented as well.
Yep - I myself made a big mistake the other day. I was getting out of my car. I had placed my gun in my center console because I had been wearing it all day using an inside-waistband holster (unusual for me, I prefer OWB) and had become uncomfortable. When I got out the the car, I dropped the gun and instinctively attempted to catch it... which I succeeded in doing after nearly dropping it 2 or 3 more times. It all happened in less than a second. As soon as I had caught it, I realized I had done a dumb thing because you should never try to catch a dropped gun. The gun was chambered as well. Fortunately, it was still in its holster and never came out. So the trigger was protected. Had it not been in a holster, I might have shot myself.

#8 ·
insert mag, chamber one

drop mag and while holding gun, top off the mag to re-insert

--in the process...fumble loaded gun and by golly--it fires.

as a 1911 style would have the slide safety on (assuming he folllowed some safety protocal),
im guessing it was a striker fired (ya, glock) that shot him in the leg

or a glock style re-holstering event. never happens, right...

#10 ·
Sounds like he probably disarmed in order to be in compliance with the typical "No Loaded Guns and No Concealed Carry Permitted" that most gun shows now have.

Yeah, he was careless when reloading his gun in his car out in the parking lot, but the act could have been avoided all-together if gun shows didn't have the prohibition. Once our local gun show put up this prohibition recently, I refuse to attend them anymore. I can find just as good if not better deals online without having to pay an admission price just to browse.

#11 ·
The act could have been avoided all-together if gun shows didn't have the prohibition. Once our local gun show put up this prohibition recently, I refuse to attend them anymore. I can find just as good if not better deals online without having to pay an admission price just to browse.
It's your right to vote with your feet and not go to shows that won't let you carry loaded (any I've ever seen). If I shoot myself in the leg, I'm not blaming the gun show. Gun owners need to take more responsibility for gun handling than that, gigamortis.

#16 ·
Somewhere he missed one of the rules. In fact, he missed a couple of them.

#21 ·
Police say 26-year-old Charles Lake was leaving the gun show at the Savannah Civic Center around 5:10 p.m. Sunday when he discharged a round into his leg while re-loading his pistol.
Unbelievably they said he shot himself rather than it “went off”.

#22 ·
People like that are the main reasons why gun shows and some gun stores do not allow loaded guns in public. Stories like this also feed the fire to the anti-gun media. Some gun owners need to stop being lackadaisical on gun safety. If I saw someone in a gun shop mishandling a firearm and violating gun safety rules, I take that very personal and will be very quick to correct that same person. Gun shop owners/gun show vendors too need to really get on on those people and stop turning a blind eye to those safety violations because incidents like that can also hold their business liable and ruin their livelihood.

#23 ·
gun show are only after one thing money... I quit going to those shows unless allowed to carry... fortunately my buddy always sells guns there and I'm in free and allowed to carry

#27 ·
I remember years ago when I installed a big wide trigger shoe on my 1911. First time I jammed it down in my tight fitting holster it discharged. Scared the hell out of me, and damn near got my foot. That wide trigger shoe evidently caught on the edge of the holster and set it off. Needless to say, that option came off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.