Police: Man accidentally shoots self at gun show

This is a discussion on Police: Man accidentally shoots self at gun show within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a Georgia man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Savannah gun show. Police say ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Police: Man accidentally shoots self at gun show

Police: Man accidentally shoots self at gun show

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a Georgia man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Savannah gun show.

Police say 26-year-old Charles Lake was leaving the gun show at the Savannah Civic Center around 5:10 p.m. Sunday when he discharged a round into his leg while re-loading his pistol.

Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller says Lake bought the pistol at the gun show on Saturday and had returned Sunday to purchase another gun. Police say he was re-loading the pistol in the parking lot because loaded guns weren't allowed inside the gun show.

The Savannah Morning News reports Lake was taken to Memorial University Medical Center with an injury not considered life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.

Savannah-Chatham police are investigating the incident.

2. Remove Ads

Trigger Finger PEOPLE!!!!

This kid might want to invest in a gun safety course before buying more guns.
    rdpG19 likes this.

The report said while reloading, wonder if they meant re-holstering?

Stuff happens.

No matter how careful we are, there is always the possibility of a nano second lapse in judgement and negligent things will occcur. Think of all the auto accidents that could be prevented as well.

However, this is the incident that anti firearm people look for as evidence to support their need to eliminate guns in society.

This kid has learned a valuable albeit painful and expensive lesson when handling a loaded firearm.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by afojc View Post
    The report said while reloading, wonder if they meant re-holstering?
    I agree. I am trying to picture how on earth you shoot your self in the leg by re loading.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I agree. I am trying to picture how on earth you shoot your self in the leg by re loading.
    Maybe while seated?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    insert mag, chamber one

drop mag and while holding gun, top off the mag to re-insert

--in the process...fumble loaded gun and by golly--it fires.

as a 1911 style would have the slide safety on (assuming he folllowed some safety protocal),
    im guessing it was a striker fired (ya, glock) that shot him in the leg

or a glock style re-holstering event. never happens, right...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    This is another one of those I would like to hear the whole story....walk me through this step by step and tell me why your finger was on the trigger.

Maybe he wanted to carry hi 1911 with the hammer down
    DaveH likes this.

Sounds like he probably disarmed in order to be in compliance with the typical "No Loaded Guns and No Concealed Carry Permitted" that most gun shows now have.

Yeah, he was careless when reloading his gun in his car out in the parking lot, but the act could have been avoided all-together if gun shows didn't have the prohibition. Once our local gun show put up this prohibition recently, I refuse to attend them anymore. I can find just as good if not better deals online without having to pay an admission price just to browse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    The act could have been avoided all-together if gun shows didn't have the prohibition. Once our local gun show put up this prohibition recently, I refuse to attend them anymore. I can find just as good if not better deals online without having to pay an admission price just to browse.
    It's your right to vote with your feet and not go to shows that won't let you carry loaded (any I've ever seen). If I shoot myself in the leg, I'm not blaming the gun show. Gun owners need to take more responsibility for gun handling than that, gigamortis.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    Sounds like he probably disarmed in order to be in compliance with the typical "No Loaded Guns and No Concealed Carry Permitted" that most gun shows now have.

Yeah, he was careless when reloading his gun in his car out in the parking lot, but the act could have been avoided all-together if gun shows didn't have the prohibition. Once our local gun show put up this prohibition recently, I refuse to attend them anymore. I can find just as good if not better deals online without having to pay an admission price just to browse.
    Yeah, I am sure that was the problem. How about he was an idiot.
    babarock likes this.

Wasn't Tex Grebner, was it????
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Stuff happens.

No matter how careful we are, there is always the possibility of a nano second lapse in judgement and negligent things will occcur. Think of all the auto accidents that could be prevented as well.
    Yep - I myself made a big mistake the other day. I was getting out of my car. I had placed my gun in my center console because I had been wearing it all day using an inside-waistband holster (unusual for me, I prefer OWB) and had become uncomfortable. When I got out the the car, I dropped the gun and instinctively attempted to catch it... which I succeeded in doing after nearly dropping it 2 or 3 more times. It all happened in less than a second. As soon as I had caught it, I realized I had done a dumb thing because you should never try to catch a dropped gun. The gun was chambered as well. Fortunately, it was still in its holster and never came out. So the trigger was protected. Had it not been in a holster, I might have shot myself.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Stupid is as stupid does.

If your gonna be dumb you best be tough.

Neglegence not an accident was the cause of his misfortune.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links