New Ruger LC9, quick review and range pic

This is a discussion on New Ruger LC9, quick review and range pic within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I traded my Ruger LCP for credit on an LC9 just because I wanted to carry a more potent caliber in a subcompact. I like ...

Thread: New Ruger LC9, quick review and range pic

I traded my Ruger LCP for credit on an LC9 just because I wanted to carry a more potent caliber in a subcompact. I like Glocks and own a G23 but wanted something thin for carry. The LC9 cost $359 at my LGS.

I bought it last night and went to the range on my way home but there was a 45 minute wait. I took it home and worked on my grip and trigger finger placement until I could dry fire it without the front sight moving. Unlike many, I do like the revolver-like trigger pull and the thumb safety for the peace of mind it provides as I may be wearing it AIWB with it pointed at my junk. I like the design and looks of this pistol compared to the Kel-tec pistols that Ruger is always accused of imitating. I think the LC9 just looks better and has a better finish than the PF9 IMHO.

I took it to the range today on my lunch break. I did not clean it before this first range trip. I know I should have but I am a glutton for punishment. I fired 7 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 115gr JHP to ensure it would feed reliably, and 50 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ. I had one FTE with the Federal. All shots were fired from about ten yards. My shot grouping started out around 6 to 8 inches while I got used to the trigger pull and ended up with one ragged hole right on POA.

I'm really liking my LC9. Its just small enough for pocket carry and is so much easier to conceal IWB than my G23.

2012-02-07 12.43.57.jpg

Congrats on the new piece. My wife and I each have one, and really like them.

Welcome to the LC9 club. You may regret getting rid of you LCP. Sometimes clothing dictates going to the smaller pistol for deep concealment.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Welcome to the LC9 club. You may regret getting rid of you LCP. Sometimes clothing dictates going to the smaller pistol for deep concealment.
    That's why I carried my LCP more than my Glock. I just wanted something a little more potent than the LCP and didn't want to drop the cash outright for a new pistol. I have a feeling that my girlfriend is going to want my LC9. She has been trying range guns to find one she likes. She didn't really like the LCP. I'm taking her shooting again this weekend.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I do like the LC9. It is a gun people will actually carry.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    I also got an LC9 for same reason. It was cheap and I can deep conceal it. By the way I seem to carry my G-17 most of the time. I still have that factory trigger. I like how thin the pistol is (LC9). I got a leather pocket holster. I don't like to place a pistol in my pocket without a holster. However because of the design and safety features of the LC9 I believe you could use in a pocket without the holster.

Have one IMO it is a fine compact 9mm light thin and shoots well

I just pre-ordered a Galloway trigger modification kit for my LC9. I heard it makes a big difference in reducing the long trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    I just pre-ordered a Galloway trigger modification kit for my LC9. I heard it makes a big difference in reducing the long trigger pull.
    Removing the Mag safety will also change the trigger pull it is not hard to do . I chose to keep it in place the trigger pull length on the LC9 ids not bad it designed for a CC that is carry with safe off as most CC do any way. If you alter it just beware the chance of an unintentional discharge rises

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    this is true for me, I have a LCP that i carry during the spring and summer since i'm normally just in shorts and tshirt, or my M&P 45c anytime i have thicker clothing on.. I like the LC9 though, been thinking about getting one myself..

LCP LC9, SR9C, P89 When it come to the list of rugers they are all good.auto's (2).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    When you get it in, post a report. I would be interested.

Cool Ruger Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    LCP LC9, SR9C, P89 When it come to the list of rugers they are all good.auto's (2).JPG
    I agree about the quality of Rugers in general. I own a SR9c for home defence but I need something smaller for concealed carry. I've been going back and forth looking at LCP, LC9, Kahr CM9 and Berreta Nano. This morning I went down and made the plunge. I put the LC9 on layaway. I don't have a lot of money so I pay as I go. IMHO Ruger offers the best bang (pun intended) for the buck.

Thanks for reminding me, the LC9 is a possibility as my next gun!

Links