First AR

This is a discussion on First AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a S&W Sport, and I like it but obviously it's a carbine style and you don't want that. I have handled a couple ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First AR

I own a S&W Sport, and I like it but obviously it's a carbine style and you don't want that.

I have handled a couple Windham Weaponry ARs, and I liked them. They are a local company to me and I was planning on buying one if I hadn't purchased the S&W.

My .02

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to do a build with the PSA 20" upper kit and one of their stripped lowers. I figure I'll save some coin and get decent rifle with a pretty good understanding of its internals along the way.

Now to shop around to see who will give me the best rate on a transfer of the lower...

Why not call spikes up and talk to them. They are GREAT to work with and have great customer service. I guarantee you they can hook you up.

I'm about to kick this project off. It seems like the hardest part will be getting the lower receiver. To the best of my understanding, buying a stripped lower is exactly like buying a handgun in that you must be 21 and in your state of residence.

If I buy a completed lower (with a rifle stock), would it be the same as buying a rifle, or would I still need to be in my state of residence? I ask because there is a shop in WV that I frequent and has great rates on transfers, but I am a PA resident.

Rock River AR15 .308 Rifle LAR8 20. If your interested in .308
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Thats right. u have to be 21 and have the nics check for the lower and if you order online it has to be sent to an ffl or dealer. Its easier to buy the whole kit and kaboodle atleast thats how it is in IN.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Got a Stag, Nikon M-223 Scope & Mount.....Coyotes don't like it too much.

I think my next purchase will be an AR. Do you think it's better to have one built by someone who comes highly recommended? Plus I could have it made to my specifications. Or would it be better to purchase from a good manufacturer? I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about ARs, except that I really want one! In fact, a lot of the comments and language used in the various posts may as well be greek to me. My thinking is that if I had one built, he could also educate me about the various parts and add on's. Any advice...recommendations?

Don't pay more than $50 for the FFL transfer, if it has a stock on it I'm pretty sure it's considered a long arm at that point, stripped lowers idk. I've heard great things from a lot of people about PSA and the quality of their stuff, also their customer service is supposed to be fairy good as well. When buying an AR you have to do your research. It's the 1911 of the black rifle world. Everybody makes one but some aren't near as good as others. Do your research and be prepared to burn a decent sized hole in you pocket or you will be kicking yourself later. I have owned 3 ARs now and I have to say that I'm a huge fan of the mid length gas systems and I highly recommend them to anyone looking at ARs
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I think my next purchase will be an AR. Do you think it's better to have one built by someone who comes highly recommended? Plus I could have it made to my specifications. Or would it be better to purchase from a good manufacturer? I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about ARs, except that I really want one! In fact, a lot of the comments and language used in the various posts may as well be greek to me. My thinking is that if I had one built, he could also educate me about the various parts and add on's. Any advice...recommendations?
    Buy a basic gun from a reputable manufacturer and then build it out to your desires.

Buy stuff that meets mil spec requirents, not commercial spec stuff

Magpul. Magpul. Magpul. If they make it, it's TOP notch stuff.

Feel free to dm or email me if you have AR questions
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

Take a long hard serious look at what you are going to do with the rifle before you buy it.

If you are going to go shoot dirt clods & beer cans once every three months, and stretch out a 440 ammo can of 5.56 from WalMart for a year, then you would be fine with the bottom end rifles like Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, and so on (presuming you only spend $600 or less).

If you plan on actually using the rifle, figure out for what. Long barrels add a lot of cost without much improvement in ballistics. I was eyeballing an 18" real hard until I saw the ballistic numbers and it was not worth the extra $250 for 2" of barrel.

If you are going to be bench shooting, then yeah, longer is better. If you plan on lugging it around and potentially doing a lot of shooting while standing, you might want to consider a 16".

As others have stated, the price difference between an off the shelf entry level Colt, BCM, PSA is only slightly more than the other makers "Top Notch" rifles.

Check out the sticky in the Defensive Rifle and Shotgun sub forum - Comparison chart of M4.

If this is your first AR, building one from parts is fine if you have the mechanical aptitude and are able to read and follow directions (not a typical male trait). If not, you can and will screw up.

I presume you have already set your budget for your rifle. I hope you have fluff room. Accessories are going to sting your wallet. I started out at $1800 for a complete top end rifle that should out last me and put up with abuse. I ended at over $2400, and I got a large portion of it on sale (black Friday deals). My base rifle (Barrel, Rail, Upper and Lower receivers, Stock, and iron sights) came in at $1400. Optic, mags, fore grip, sling, and other fluff slammed me for another 1k.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Well, everyone. I've got the parts list finalized, and the funding is almost in place.

The final parts list for anyone interested is:

BCM 20" Government Profile Upper Receiver Group
    BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle Mod 4 (Medium)
    BCM bolt carrier group (the MPI and Auto one)
    DD A1.5 Rear sight
    PSA Stripped Lower
    PSA A2 rifle lower build kit
    Standard plastic rifle length handguards

Thanks for everyone's input! I am extremely excited to build and ultimately shoot this rifle.

Looks like a good build.

Any particular reason you went with the 20" over a 16 or 18?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Looks like a good build.

Any particular reason you went with the 20" over a 16 or 18?
    I just like the looks of the M16, and through all of my shopping around, it is what really stood out to me. I plan on keeping this one relatively plain, and then getting a top of the line carbine once I'm out of school to trick out.

UPDATE: Well, I saw a Colt SP6920 at my LGS and fondled it for a bit, and started to really like it. They had it for a decent price, so I paid a down payment, and I'll be taking possession of it at the end of May.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links