First AR

This is a discussion on First AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been shooting various ARs for a while now, but none of them have been mine. I'm looking to change that in a few months. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First AR

First AR

I've been shooting various ARs for a while now, but none of them have been mine. I'm looking to change that in a few months. From looking around at various manufacturers sites and stores, it seems like the 16" M4 styled rifles are popular right now, but I'm looking for an AR that is similar to an M16A4. I have found ready to go rifles from Rock River, Del-Ton, and Stag. BCM has one, but I don't know if I feel like waiting for them to start taking orders again (and then the time it will actually take to build and ship the rifle), and the price is probably too high. Would Rock River or Stag get the job done as a weekend range rifle that will probably see about 400-500 rounds a trip?

Alternatively, would a PSA kit be better than the pre-built rifle? My goal is to get a solid mid-tier rifle.
    Last edited by tubadude; February 7th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I have a Rock River and use it for coyote hunting and range trips. I've had it for a couple years and never had a hicup

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I've been shooting various ARs for a while now, but none of them have been mine. I'm looking to change that in a few months. From looking around at various manufacturers sites and stores, it seems like the 16" M4 styled rifles are popular right now, but I'm looking for an AR that is similar to an M16A4. I have found ready to go rifles from Rock River, Del-Ton, and Stag. BCM has one, but I don't know if I feel like waiting for them to start taking orders again (and then the time it will actually take to build and ship the rifle), and the price is probably too high. Would Rock River or Stag get the job done as a weekend range rifle that will probably see about 400-500 rounds a trip?

Alternatively, would a PSA kit be better than the pre-built rifle?
    The PSA kits are excellent bang for the buck values with quality rivaling BCM in my opinion.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    And... Don't overlook DPMS. Mine has been A+ One of my friends has a POF and he agrees he can't tell a lot of difference between his 2-grand POF and my DPMS Oracle. Both accessorized about the same.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Alternatively, would a PSA kit be better than the pre-built rifle? My goal is to get a solid mid-tier rifle.
    I'm a fellow AR noob, but I have nothing but praise for my PSA. Staked gas key, staked castle nut, chrome-lined barrel, full-auto bolt carrier - this stuff comes 'standard' from PSA.

I've put close to 1000 rnds thru mine in the last month and it hasn't hesitated.

Although conventional wisdom here will direct you to the Colt LE6920. There's no arguing with that.
    Guest1 likes this.

PSA makes quality stuff for the $$, the only issue are with them are the more and more common complaints @ their customer service. OP, what budget did you have in mind? For a quality inexpensive weekend range target AR the SW Sport gets a ton of positive feedback. If you were looking @ BCM and did not want to wait, other options on par are Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT to name a few.

If I was going for a carbine, I'd just go with Spikes, but I'm looking specifically for something with a 20" barrel, flat top receiver, and the A2 stock. Thanks for the replies so far!

You can't go wrong with a Rock River, or a Stag.

Too high? 1K for a BCM or a Colt or 800 for a RRA or Bushy.... hmmm

try here:

G&R Tactical

you are not going to beat the prices on a Colt or BCM....

Buy once and don't learn a bad lesson.

sgb
    If I was going for a carbine, I'd just go with Spikes, but I'm looking specifically for something with a 20" barrel, flat top receiver, and the A2 stock. Thanks for the replies so far!
    20" Hammer-forged, A2 profile, Chrome-lined Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

WHEC724 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I cant believe JonC wasn't the 1st member to jump all over this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Too high? 1K for a BCM or a Colt or 800 for a RRA or Bushy.... hmmm

try here:

G&R Tactical

you are not going to beat the prices on a Colt or BCM....

Buy once and don't learn a bad lesson.
    Great advice!!! Grant is the man to talk to on this subject.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I cant believe JonC wasn't the 1st member to jump all over this thread.
    Jon has done a wealth of contributions. We can't expect him to rescue every AR thread.

Tubadude, search on 'consiglio' and start soaking it up.

try windham weaponry these are the people who used to be bushmaster then sold it the buyers bought the co then moved it and laid off all the old workers the previous owner took the original factory back hired the old workers back and now competes with bushmaster. i just got one in 5.56 which is the only caliber thus far and am impressed
    JaySkiBum likes this.

Colt doesn't make what I want, and BCM never seems to have it in stock. I'm just going to build the thing myself from PSA parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links