Joining the SP101 Club

This is a discussion on Joining the SP101 Club within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Great choice. I've had mine for a couple years and love it. My LGS now has a factory engraved one with wood grip inserts. It's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Joining the SP101 Club

Great choice. I've had mine for a couple years and love it. My LGS now has a factory engraved one with wood grip inserts. It's all I can do to keep from trading mine in on it. I'd like to have a 3" model too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

When was the last time you read anyone criticize the SP101? Exactly. Even Jesus owned a Ruger. Congrats.

I purchased one a couple of weeks ago and mechanically it is a great gun.

However, I would warn anyone with arthritis that the trigger guard is too close to the grip when shooting .357.

The guard hits my knuckles and it HURTS.

.38's are OK.

I looked at changing grips, but due to the frame design I don't see how that would help.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a cure?

It's in my safe, and I'm attaching a pic, per CowboyColby's request! I'm a happy guy!

Post.jpg

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Congrats and thanks for the picture. How do you like the grips? I think thats all I would be changing. Have you shot it yet?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    I purchased one a couple of weeks ago and mechanically it is a great gun.

However, I would warn anyone with arthritis that the trigger guard is too close to the grip when shooting .357.

The guard hits my knuckles and it HURTS.

.38's are OK.

I looked at changing grips, but due to the frame design I don't see how that would help.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a cure?

Try shooting some 158 grain +p Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollow Points through the gun.

These are an excellent self defense round.

Hand strength can make a difference in recoil control .

Sometimes health issues may require a less powerful round to be able to control the recoil.

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I haven't fired this one yet CowbyColby, but I fired one identical to it this past weekend. The grips seemed to work okay for me, though I think I'd prefer some that are a little longer to help with higher power .357 loads. I only get about half of my pinky on the grip. Honestly though, I can't say I'm displeased with the stock grips, but I have no doubt there are better options for me. I may pick up a couple different kinds and experiment. I currently have Federal Hydra-Shoks in .357 and Hornady Critical Defense in .38+p in my ammo can, but I'm certainly taking recommendations for other rounds, so I'm taking Old School's post as a recommendation. Thank you for that! Since I now have 2 .357's, I'll likely be keeping a pretty good stockpile of assorted ammo on hand.

Pachmayr's Compac grips are great if you are going to carry it. The Hogue Bantam grips don't work for me at all -- there just isn't enough to hold onto. YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Once in one of our local ranges I asked about what kind on deal I could get trading my SP101 for a Glock (or something ) & the rangemaster said he wouldent take an Sp101 on a trade. Said I would soon regret trading it off.

He was right!

I regret trading mine!

But I had the 2.25 DAO, and I would rather have a 3" DA/SA so I will just get one of those eventually and make everything right in the universe again.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    Leaving for the gun shop in half an hour. I'll proudly post pics once I get it home! :-)
    Enjoy your new gun.My wife is going to Cabelas tomorrow to get hers.
    Don't believe everything you think.

I've had my 2.25" SP101 for about a year. It now has a lighter hammer spring and a Trausch cushioned grip. I keep some .38spcl +Ps on standby for when my wrist and knuckles get a little sore from shooting the .357mags at the reange.

I live in an apartment, so I definitely wanted to keep some .38 +P's on hand. I pray I'll never need to use it to protect my wife and my home, but if I ever do, I prefer not to have a round go through several walls and possibly strike neighbors. I was shopping online yesterday and found these:

.38 Special Federal LE Tactical® Hydra-Shok®

I've always been a fan of Hydra-Shoks, and have several hundred rounds of it in .357 Mag already, so I decided to pick up a couple boxes of .38 147gr +P+, and for some reason when I viewed my shopping cart, they dropped the price to $11 a box! Maybe a discount for a new customer? I don't know, but I ended up ordering 4 boxes! Just couldn't pass up a deal like that! hehehe

Ever notice you do not see many used SP101's for sale in shops or at gun shows?? Must be a reason for that... You made a great choice.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links