bead/sand blasting a stainless revolver

This is a discussion on bead/sand blasting a stainless revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently picked up a Ruger GP100 6" stainless revolver and am considering bead/sand blasting it to give it a matte finish. It is in really ...

Thread: bead/sand blasting a stainless revolver

Recently picked up a Ruger GP100 6" stainless revolver and am considering bead/sand blasting it to give it a matte finish. It is in really good shape w/ only some very minor scratches that I'm not concerned about. I plan on spending alot of time in the outdoors w/ this gun, so it'll probably pick up some more scratches.
    I've read some articles online re. bead blasting guns and am looking for some first hand experience - dos and don'ts, bead size/grit, air pressures etc.

thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Interesting... I just (2/7/12) bought the same thing. One of my customers has a shot blast booth that I have access to 24/7 but it spits out 80gr shot as well as other media. Eight grit shot is way, way, way over kill and dangerous to what ever it hits but, as I said, they have other media and a small blast booth. I'll be interesting in reading the replies to this post. everyone who works at this particular site has a firearms affection (or infection) and has asked basically the same question.

Refinish gurus, lets hear some comments.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Had a freind that was a S&W NUT,would walnut blast stainless Smiths,gives a matt finish without damaging the surface like sand,he has passed on to a better place now,but, i'm sure someone else has done this before.

beads dont come in grit sizes, 80 to 100psi is fine, u will need to 100% pull it apart or find a way to keep it out of the inside... use foam plugs in both ends of the barrel

Sponsored Links