Background check delay?

This is a discussion on Background check delay? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I walk into my LGS yesterday to purchase a new SP101, and I'm told there will be a 45 minute wait for the background ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Background check delay?

Background check delay?

So I walk into my LGS yesterday to purchase a new SP101, and I'm told there will be a 45 minute wait for the background check. My wife and I decide to go get something to eat, and while we're eating, I get a call saying there's a delay, and that it could take up to 3 days for an answer, and they'll call me when they have more info. I don't have a common name, in fact I believe I'm the only one in the United States with my name. I haven't had as much as a speeding ticket in close to 20 years, I haven't been a victim of identity theft, and I don't believe there's any gun shows happening in Denver at this time. Should I be concerned? What other reasons might there be a delay?

2. Remove Ads

Either the system they use was down, or they were feeding you a line of BS.

I doubt you have anything to worry about. What I would do, if you want to see what happens, is go to another gun shop and try to buy a firearm and see what happens.

I have been put on a delay twice. The gun shop is not told of the reason why. They told me almost always it is no problem. If it was a denial it would show up immediatly.My name is uncommon also. Did you give them your ssn or leave it blank? The gunshop I doubt is giving you a line of BS. They want the sale. If the system is down, at least in NH, they tell you.

Senior Moderator
    It could take three days...its the government.
    The good thing is, that after three days, unless there is a specific "deny" they must give you the gun.

Delays...that could be anything.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah you're right, it's the government. I didn't think of it like that. If it only takes 3 days, I should probably feel lucky! hehehe I did enter my SSN. I've purchased handguns in the past and have never dealt with a delay, but not in quite a while due to a marriage to a woman who hated guns. Needless to say, she had to go. hehehe Thanks for your input everyone, I'll try to be patient and will update when I get the call. Maybe I'll get the call today and can dart to the gun shop after work and pick it up. Fingers crossed!

VIP Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. There are many things that can cause a backlog.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER give your SS #

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER give your SS #
    I agree. I asked because somebody told me before (don't know if it is true or not) that a delay can be caused when names show up with the ssn and without. But regardless, I never give my ssn out for anything. It was meant for identity for social security, not for every aspect of your life.

You're absolutely right. That's a mistake I won't make again. I thought by stating my SSN, maybe the background check would go more smoothly, but obviously that isn't the case.

I think it is bogus for anybody to ask for your ssn. Credit card companies, banks, all get away with it becasue they say if you do not have to provide it but your application won't be processed without it. Employers fine, they need it for FICA. It should be against the law to ask for it. It makes identity fraud easier. And....it ain't none of your business!
    DanielC likes this.

Update: Just received a call from the gun shop, my background check came through and I'll be picking up my SP101 after work today. Thanks again for everyone's input. This is a great forum and I'm proud to be a member!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    good news, I wonder if the system went down which caused a delay. I bought my son a new XD a week ago for his birthday and even with a very very common name it went through in 30 minutes.

I really think, as HotGuns mentioned above, it's a government thing. They make their own rules. I've spent a lot of time Googling this morning, and it really seems pretty random.

If your state has a functioning computerized BG system in place the actual check literally takes less than 30 seconds after they type in your information. When I bought my last few guns here in WI my BG check was completed long before my paperwork was filled out. Filling out the paperwork takes the real time.

Mostly it happens because of the rush of the people. It is not a simple issue that is why they do it in a very relaxed way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links