Eye Protection - What do you recommend?

This is a discussion on Eye Protection - What do you recommend? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All! It has been awhile, but I'm back with a question. It seems that I'm in search of a new set of eye protection ...

Thread: Eye Protection - What do you recommend?

Eye Protection - What do you recommend?

Hi All!
    It has been awhile, but I'm back with a question. It seems that I'm in search of a new set of eye protection as mine are starting to show their age.

They are starting to show some wear and I would like something that will not break the seal on my muffs.
    I currently use some older ANSI rated glasses that have no temple arms...they are on a string that tightens around my head and I put them over my muffs. I like the setup as it is very comfortable with no pressure points and it doesn't allow sound into the hearing protection.

I'm looking for anything that will offer minimal seal breakage and pressure points on my head would be great. I'm willing to pay a bit for comfort since I spend a lot of time in them when I'm at the range.

A quick search turned up the ESS Suppressor which looks reasonable, but I haven't found many reviews on them. I'd like to stick with a strap type if at all possible though as this has worked for me in the past.

I care about: Comfort, ability to keep my ear muffs sealed, interchangeable lenses would be nice.
    I don't really care what they look like and prefer function to form.

I've seen that a lot of people use WileyX and Oakley, but I they offer a lot of different options and I have no idea where to start so any input from owners would be great. Finally, I just saw the Revision Sawfly as well don't know where they stand in the lineup.

Thanks very much!

ETA: From my quick search it looks like the following may (or may not) fit my needs. Let me know what else you suggest!
    ESS Suppressor - Thin temples
    Wiley X Saber Advanced - Temples can be replaced with strap
    Revision Sawfly - Has strap ETA2: Scratch the sawfly it looks like the temples don't remove for the straps.
    ??
    Last edited by raysheen; February 9th, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Listing the options that I've found so far...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Below is a link to the Armys list of authorized eyewear for combat. If its good enough for soldiers in Afghanistan its good enough for you.

http://www.wamc.amedd.army.mil/.../A...TOCT2006v2.pdf

Sounds like you're attached to muffs rather than ear plugs, but I personally prefer plugs (which, unless something has changed in the years since I did my homework, had a greater decibal rating than most muffs), than I could wear whatever eye protection was available.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Hi All!
    Revision Sawfly - Has strap ETA2: Scratch the sawfly it looks like the temples don't remove for the straps.
    ??
    I have the Sawflys and you can remove the strap from the temples, all that is left is a little hole on the temple.

img_3892-tm-tfb.jpg

But any of the brands you mentioned will do. What is important is that they are rated as safety glasses, I always look for the ANSI Z87.1 rating.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Links