Break in procedures. What do you use, & are they needed?

This is a discussion on Break in procedures. What do you use, & are they needed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently I acquired a new AR15 with a 24 inch heavy fluted chrome molly barrel (A BM Varminter). All the instructions say to use proper ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JaySkiBum

Thread: Break in procedures. What do you use, & are they needed?

Break in procedures. What do you use, & are they needed?

Recently I acquired a new AR15 with a 24 inch heavy fluted chrome molly barrel (A BM Varminter). All the instructions say to use proper barrel break in procedures, but I cannot find anywhere that say’s what that procedure is/should be. I have heard of multiple methods, including “clean after every shot for the first 5 rounds, then clean after every 5 rounds (x5) then after every 10 rounds (x5) then clean after a total of 100 rounds are fired. From here they say it should be good to go.

There are many variations of the above I have heard, including break-in procedures are myths, and don’t really do anything, others swear by them. Some are very detailed, and others say they just take their new gun and shoot all the ammo they have as quickly as they can.

What system do you use? Why do you use that system, and what purpose does break-in procedures really have?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

When I "broke in" my AR it involved 60 rounds and then a cleaning, and then 120 rounds and another cleaning.

The only reason it happened that way was because I only shot 2 mags the first time out and then 4 the next time out.

Long story short, I don't believe in the 1 shot then clean type method. IMO you hurt your barrel running a rod through it that many times. There was an interesting article somewhere in a thread here that talked about it. If you searched I bet it would turn up.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I did try a search, but you have to choose the correct key words in order to find it. "Break in" results lists lots of home invasion type of threads.

Administrator
    Attempting to micro "fire polish" a steel barrel with Copper jacketed bullets.
    Don't bother. Complete waste of barrel life, time, effort, and ammunition.
    It's one of those OCD figments of somebodys imagination that "took root" and grew for no good, proved, or valid reason.

If you have a new already finely finished high quality rifle bore/barrel then use J-B Bore Bright once before you shoot.
    No real need to use the JB Bore Cleaner first with modern, clean, virgin, precision barrel bores.

It's the best $12.00 you'll ever spend.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...eg-BORE-BRIGHT

Found an interesting article for you with a link to an older forum discussion.
    How to Break-in a Barrel

Thanks, that article is what I was looking for! I will just enjoy it my shooting and follow my normal shooting practices.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    Found an interesting article for you with a link to an older forum discussion.
    How to Break-in a Barrel
    Well, that is contrary to what I have read and been taught but the source is credible and arguement persuasive.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Just stumbled on this thread. Good info.
    Just got a new HD shotgun. Haven't fired it yet. Was wondering if there is any pre-fire cleaning to do, like is there any funky stuff I need to clean out that is part of the manufacturing process. (special coating maybe related to storage)

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Oh man I thought this was going to be a flame on some of the 1911's and the recommended breakin. I always clean a new gun before any range time just to get the gunk out, which I recommend just to make sure everything is clear. I have been known to clean my rifle barrels on the range for a couple of reasons, it gives the barrel time to cool and most of my hunting is done with a clean dry barrel. Has nothing to do with breakin. By the way I have not noticed any difference in the accuracy of the first shoot and the tenth so I don't even need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by potsy View Post
    Just stumbled on this thread. Good info.
    Just got a new HD shotgun. Haven't fired it yet. Was wondering if there is any pre-fire cleaning to do, like is there any funky stuff I need to clean out that is part of the manufacturing process. (special coating maybe related to storage)
    Its generally a good idea to clean any brand new firearm before you fire it, so that you can make sure there is no gunk, and to make sure it is all working as it should
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links