Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list.......... - Page 2

Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list..........

This is a discussion on Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list.......... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Itís now six months later (from the original post) and the latest news from Sacramento is disturbing (more gun regulation). Apparently, it is legal for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list..........

Just an update to this post.

Itís now six months later (from the original post) and the latest news from Sacramento is disturbing (more gun regulation).

Apparently, it is legal for a LEO in CA to buy one of these forbidden handguns and carry it for their own use. If they donít happen to like the way the gun shoots or handles, they can sell it to a private citizen via a PPT and they can in turn register it and perhaps add it to their carry list. In some circles (probably started in Real Estate), this could be considered a straw-purchase, but the PPT process is legal. I read an article yesterday that the politicians in CA are activity trying to close this loop-hole and make it illegal to do a PPT from a LEO to non-LEO with any firearm on the DOJ hit-list.

This same subject was being discussed on the CACCW website and the monitors decided to close the posts. That seems a little strange that someone would arbitrarily decide which posts to close and which ones stay open. If the membership looses interest, the post will die on its own and that seems more humane (democratic). No one was promoting the process on the site, only discussing it and the PPT process is still legal. If a LEO bought one of the forbidden pistols with the intention of selling it to a friend, that would be a straw-purchase, but to consider all transfers as straw-purchases is narrow-minded. I hope the powers-that-be on DefensiveCarry.com never do that without good cause. Iím in the process of applying for my CCW in CA and originally wanted to have this model on my license; I finally gave up and will eventually do further research into another pistol.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Sig P 232 has a indicator don't remember about the mag disconnect.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Like the map AZCHEVY thanks for sharing it. I will not be moving to CA for my retirement I can say that for sure. It's to bad because Southern CA is really, really nice IMHO
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Forgot to mention that I love my Ruger LCP in the summer. Shorts and a t-shirt and elsie pea. Can't' beat it.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    California--the reason there are 49 other choices.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

To the OP:

Just to let you know, you don't have to get the lcp through PPT. The reason there is recent legislation trying to stop PPT from LEO to Non-LEO of non approved handguns probably has something to do with this case California sheriff's deputies accused of illegally selling weapons | Fox News. Who knows if it will pass or not, but either way waiting for a PPT to pop up on the market from an LEO might be a while.

Like mentioned earlier in the thread, you can do a SSE (Single-Shot Exemption) to get the pistol you want. Depending on WHERE you are located in CA, there are several dealers doing SSE all throughout the state. Tracy Rifle and Pistol can get you a LCP for $339.99 including the SSE fee. 100% Legal. Here is their thread on the CALGUNS forums Single Shot Exempts at T.R.A.P. - Gen4, XDM, P238, HK45!!!! - Calguns.net.

If you want to do some reading into the subject and a list of most of the SSE dealers in California, reference this fantastic SSE database thread Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread - Calguns.net.

Regards.

VIP Member
    Mud slides, wild fires, high taxes, overinflated prices on homes/gasoline, anti-gun, ultra-nanny state mentality. Tell me again why in the world someone would want to live in CA??
    DrahtDog likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Never really got the whole "loaded chamber indicator" concept anyway...

Rule #1 right ?
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

WOW.... I thought NY was bad........I didnt know all those rules. I new the 10 round limit but jeez. THe loaded chamber indicator rules out a lot of good firearms.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

I'm really fond of the CCL being for a particular gun(s). This adds to my fondness of other California rules and regulations. /sarc

The 2nd amendment really is dead in CA, isn't it? I'll bet the 1st amendment fall can't be far behind. I think it's time for folks to consider alternative places to live. It's a shame because CA is a truly beautiful state.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I then took it to the Sheriff's office where they added it to my CCW.
    Really. . . You have to have specific guns "attached" to your ccw? Seems like a backdoor method of registering guns. .

Damn. . Another reason to avoid CA.

We can grab any gun we feel like carrying on a specific day.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Vote with your feet. Why live in CA and pay high taxes if they have laws that you don't like?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    It’s now six months later SNIP Apparently, it is legal for a LEO in CA to buy one of these forbidden handguns and carry it for their own use. If they don’t happen to like the way the gun shoots or handles, they can sell it to a private citizen via a PPT and they can in turn register it and perhaps add it to their carry list. l.
    Like I said. A LEO buying a weapon off-list with intent to sell it, would be risking his job and freedom. Doing it in quantity for profit should make that happen. A LEO buying one weapon he truly does not like, and then selling it is still a reasonable and legal act. Is he supposed to throw it away?
    BTW, I sure get a kick out of the Pavlovian slack-jaws who just can't wait for an opportunity to mumble dimwitted insults about California, without a clue of what the world thinks about the toilet where they live.
    goldmaster likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Interesting, I checked their http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp and you can buy a Highpoint but not the LCP.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The "list" has some crazy rules. The weapon has to pass certain specific drop tests, have a loaded chamber indicator for those to dumb to assume a weapon is always considered loaded until proven empty, and the manufacturer has to pay a huge fee. The fee alone causes many makers to simply write off California as a market, and our "representitives" consider that a victory.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links