Defensive Carry banner

Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list..........

44K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  031131 
#1 ·
Greetings all:
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find any previous discussions and I promise to keep it short.
I want to buy a Ruger LCP .380, but it’s not on the CA DOJ approved list and according to Ruger, it never will be. My sources tell me that although one can’t buy a NEW Ruger from an FFL, it’s legal to do a PPT of a used one in CA. Can anyone verify this?
I looked at a Beretta Bobcat, but that’s not on their list. I then focused on the Ruger, but that’s not on Big Brother’s list either. I may have found a used one and don’t want to commit until I’m sure I can follow-through with the transfer. Apparently the Ruger is only available to LEO’s or military (?) in CA; the rest of us must choose from what’s so graciously been offered to us by the DOJ. Does anyone have any thoughts on the legal issues of the transfer? :confused:

Ciao, CH

#3 ·
This goes well beyond stupid and enters another dimension of ludicrous. According to Ruger, and I quote:

“I am sorry the LCP is not available in California. Under California Law, center fire pistols manufactured after January 1, 2007 must be equipped with both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect. Although the LCP has a witness hole that allows one to determine the presence of a round on the chamber, the California Department of Justice has not recognized this device as satisfying the loaded chamber indicator requirement. The LCP has no magazine disconnect either. As such, the LCP will not be offered in California in its current configuration. At this point, there are no plans to produce a California compliant model.”

If you’re curious about “the list” and if your guns are currently occupying space on “the list”, check out…………………

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

CH

#4 ·
So it has a small hole to confirm if it's loaded, and it's still not accepted? Wow that is seriously messed up. People's Republic of California at it's best.

It would be awesome for you if a private sale would allow it...too bad they didn't make LCPs before 2007.

#7 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on the legal issues of the transfer? :confused:

Ciao, CH
I have read that there are several FFL in Northern and Centeral California which will do a legal transfer through a loophole in the law. I don't remember what it is called but if I run across it I do a new reply. If I remember correctly the transfer was in the range of ±$200.00. :blink:

Now you can get the Ruger LCR, Ruger LC9 as well as the Bersa Thunder 380. You may wish to look at those to avoid all the hassel!

Also I know LAPD has adopted the S & W 380 Bodyguard as a Dept. approved back up.
But they CAN'T use the laser! :starwars: :rofl:

You may wish to check to see if it is approved for ownership by Mexifornian Sheep?

#9 ·
Last year here in California, a buddy who is a LEO bought an LCP and we went to the end of town and fired one box of ammo. He said he didn't like it, we cleaned it, and went back to the gun store where he sold it to me though the FFL dealer. After the normal waiting period I picked it up. No problems but the gun store owner had doubts due to lack of experience with non-listed weapons, and had to call for official info. I then took it to the Sheriff's office where they added it to my CCW. My county Sheriff's rules state that they will only allow guns "on the list" to be on the CCW, but I asked him in advance and he personally approved it. Your mileage may vary. Good luck
I believe that there is a loophole by converting it to a single-shot, but havent researched it. Better off to play it straight, and cultivate some friends in the law enforcement or fire business.

#10 ·
Thanks gentlemen for the insight. I checked the list and the S&W Bodyguard .380 isn't on the list either. This may be one way to avoid issuing CCW's in CA; make all the good guns illegal for civilians. I'm going to call the local gun store tomorrow and see if they will handle the PPT. I'm applying for my CCW permit soon and wanted to put this on the initial list. Luck of the Irish I guess.

#13 ·
I'm applying for my CCW permit soon and wanted to put this on the initial list. Luck of the Irish I guess.
Here is a link to CalCCW, this is a map posted of the issuance of CCW permits in California. Gooood Luck!

County Map for California CCW Issuance - CalCCW

As a note the local Mexifornian PD I'm consulting for won't issue, but with a letter of rejection, the county will, but that is an interior county.

#16 ·
Just an update to this post.

It’s now six months later (from the original post) and the latest news from Sacramento is disturbing (more gun regulation). :frown:

Apparently, it is legal for a LEO in CA to buy one of these forbidden handguns and carry it for their own use. If they don’t happen to like the way the gun shoots or handles, they can sell it to a private citizen via a PPT and they can in turn register it and perhaps add it to their carry list. In some circles (probably started in Real Estate), this could be considered a straw-purchase, but the PPT process is legal. I read an article yesterday that the politicians in CA are activity trying to close this loop-hole and make it illegal to do a PPT from a LEO to non-LEO with any firearm on the DOJ hit-list.

This same subject was being discussed on the CACCW website and the monitors decided to close the posts. That seems a little strange that someone would arbitrarily decide which posts to close and which ones stay open. If the membership looses interest, the post will die on its own and that seems more humane (democratic). No one was promoting the process on the site, only discussing it and the PPT process is still legal. If a LEO bought one of the forbidden pistols with the intention of selling it to a friend, that would be a straw-purchase, but to consider all transfers as straw-purchases is narrow-minded. I hope the powers-that-be on DefensiveCarry.com never do that without good cause. I’m in the process of applying for my CCW in CA and originally wanted to have this model on my license; I finally gave up and will eventually do further research into another pistol.

#28 ·
It’s now six months later SNIP Apparently, it is legal for a LEO in CA to buy one of these forbidden handguns and carry it for their own use. If they don’t happen to like the way the gun shoots or handles, they can sell it to a private citizen via a PPT and they can in turn register it and perhaps add it to their carry list. l.
Like I said. A LEO buying a weapon off-list with intent to sell it, would be risking his job and freedom. Doing it in quantity for profit should make that happen. A LEO buying one weapon he truly does not like, and then selling it is still a reasonable and legal act. Is he supposed to throw it away?
BTW, I sure get a kick out of the Pavlovian slack-jaws who just can't wait for an opportunity to mumble dimwitted insults about California, without a clue of what the world thinks about the toilet where they live.

#18 ·
Like the map AZCHEVY thanks for sharing it. I will not be moving to CA for my retirement I can say that for sure. It's to bad because Southern CA is really, really nice IMHO:blink:

#19 ·
Forgot to mention that I love my Ruger LCP in the summer. Shorts and a t-shirt and elsie pea. Can't' beat it. :danceban:

#21 ·
To the OP:

Just to let you know, you don't have to get the lcp through PPT. The reason there is recent legislation trying to stop PPT from LEO to Non-LEO of non approved handguns probably has something to do with this case California sheriff's deputies accused of illegally selling weapons | Fox News. Who knows if it will pass or not, but either way waiting for a PPT to pop up on the market from an LEO might be a while.

Like mentioned earlier in the thread, you can do a SSE (Single-Shot Exemption) to get the pistol you want. Depending on WHERE you are located in CA, there are several dealers doing SSE all throughout the state. Tracy Rifle and Pistol can get you a LCP for $339.99 including the SSE fee. 100% Legal. Here is their thread on the CALGUNS forums Single Shot Exempts at T.R.A.P. - Gen4, XDM, P238, HK45!!!! - Calguns.net.

If you want to do some reading into the subject and a list of most of the SSE dealers in California, reference this fantastic SSE database thread Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread - Calguns.net.

Regards.

#22 ·
Mud slides, wild fires, high taxes, overinflated prices on homes/gasoline, anti-gun, ultra-nanny state mentality. Tell me again why in the world someone would want to live in CA??

Reactions: DrahtDog
#25 ·
I'm really fond of the CCL being for a particular gun(s). This adds to my fondness of other California rules and regulations. /sarc

The 2nd amendment really is dead in CA, isn't it? I'll bet the 1st amendment fall can't be far behind. I think it's time for folks to consider alternative places to live. It's a shame because CA is a truly beautiful state.

#30 ·
The "list" has some crazy rules. The weapon has to pass certain specific drop tests, have a loaded chamber indicator for those to dumb to assume a weapon is always considered loaded until proven empty, and the manufacturer has to pay a huge fee. The fee alone causes many makers to simply write off California as a market, and our "representitives" consider that a victory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.