Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list..........

This is a discussion on Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list.......... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings all: I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find any previous discussions and I promise to keep it short. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Buying a used Ruger LCP .380 ACP; not on approved list..........

Greetings all:
    I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find any previous discussions and I promise to keep it short.
    I want to buy a Ruger LCP .380, but it’s not on the CA DOJ approved list and according to Ruger, it never will be. My sources tell me that although one can’t buy a NEW Ruger from an FFL, it’s legal to do a PPT of a used one in CA. Can anyone verify this?
    I looked at a Beretta Bobcat, but that’s not on their list. I then focused on the Ruger, but that’s not on Big Brother’s list either. I may have found a used one and don’t want to commit until I’m sure I can follow-through with the transfer. Apparently the Ruger is only available to LEO’s or military (?) in CA; the rest of us must choose from what’s so graciously been offered to us by the DOJ. Does anyone have any thoughts on the legal issues of the transfer?

Ciao, CH

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    So how, pray tell, does a gun get on the "A" list in California? This is REALLY stupid.
    bandrich and Poseidon like this.

This goes well beyond stupid and enters another dimension of ludicrous. According to Ruger, and I quote:

“I am sorry the LCP is not available in California. Under California Law, center fire pistols manufactured after January 1, 2007 must be equipped with both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect. Although the LCP has a witness hole that allows one to determine the presence of a round on the chamber, the California Department of Justice has not recognized this device as satisfying the loaded chamber indicator requirement. The LCP has no magazine disconnect either. As such, the LCP will not be offered in California in its current configuration. At this point, there are no plans to produce a California compliant model.”

If you’re curious about “the list” and if your guns are currently occupying space on “the list”, check out…………………

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

CH

So it has a small hole to confirm if it's loaded, and it's still not accepted? Wow that is seriously messed up. People's Republic of California at it's best.

It would be awesome for you if a private sale would allow it...too bad they didn't make LCPs before 2007.

No frisbees or footballs on the beach either. $1K fine.

LA County Updates Ordinance On Ball, Frisbee Throwing At Beaches « CBS Los Angeles

no .380 LCP allowed in Kalifornia?? Perhaps the Kalifornia Firearms Poobahs are wiser than we give them credit.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the legal issues of the transfer?

Ciao, CH
    I have read that there are several FFL in Northern and Centeral California which will do a legal transfer through a loophole in the law. I don't remember what it is called but if I run across it I do a new reply. If I remember correctly the transfer was in the range of ±$200.00.

Now you can get the Ruger LCR, Ruger LC9 as well as the Bersa Thunder 380. You may wish to look at those to avoid all the hassel!

Also I know LAPD has adopted the S & W 380 Bodyguard as a Dept. approved back up.
    But they CAN'T use the laser!

You may wish to check to see if it is approved for ownership by Mexifornian Sheep?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    No frisbees or footballs on the beach either. $1K fine.
    yessss......those can be used as a deadly weapon. Everything is more dangerous in Kalifornia....the Govmunt says so.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Last year here in California, a buddy who is a LEO bought an LCP and we went to the end of town and fired one box of ammo. He said he didn't like it, we cleaned it, and went back to the gun store where he sold it to me though the FFL dealer. After the normal waiting period I picked it up. No problems but the gun store owner had doubts due to lack of experience with non-listed weapons, and had to call for official info. I then took it to the Sheriff's office where they added it to my CCW. My county Sheriff's rules state that they will only allow guns "on the list" to be on the CCW, but I asked him in advance and he personally approved it. Your mileage may vary. Good luck
    I believe that there is a loophole by converting it to a single-shot, but havent researched it. Better off to play it straight, and cultivate some friends in the law enforcement or fire business.

Thanks gentlemen for the insight. I checked the list and the S&W Bodyguard .380 isn't on the list either. This may be one way to avoid issuing CCW's in CA; make all the good guns illegal for civilians. I'm going to call the local gun store tomorrow and see if they will handle the PPT. I'm applying for my CCW permit soon and wanted to put this on the initial list. Luck of the Irish I guess.

here, i knew i had seen this link somewhere. I don't know if it is really legal but this guy thinks it is.
    CA single shot pistols - UPDATED 12/16/11

CADOJ = joke

Sorry for your pain

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    I'm applying for my CCW permit soon and wanted to put this on the initial list. Luck of the Irish I guess.
    Here is a link to CalCCW, this is a map posted of the issuance of CCW permits in California. Gooood Luck!

County Map for California CCW Issuance - CalCCW

As a note the local Mexifornian PD I'm consulting for won't issue, but with a letter of rejection, the county will, but that is an interior county.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Fixed

(ref. above map)
    That map makes me a red neck in a green county of a blue state. My county always votes red, but we want to make our State gov't officials black and blue.
    goldmaster likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links