For You Whizz Kid Scientific Type Members - A Bizarre Hypothetical

This is a discussion on For You Whizz Kid Scientific Type Members - A Bizarre Hypothetical within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, that didn't take long and that pretty much solves that. Moonians?? <~~~ Don't we already have those in our airports here on Earth harassing ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: For You Whizz Kid Scientific Type Members - A Bizarre Hypothetical

Administrator
    Well, that didn't take long and that pretty much solves that.

Moonians?? <~~~

Don't we already have those in our airports here on Earth harassing people and selling flowers?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Moonians?? <~~~

Don't we already have those in our airports here on Earth harassing people and selling flowers?
    Nah. Moonians live on the moon and shoot at earth.
    You are thinking of Moonies.Moonies are bald, wear pinkish robes,dance alot and are crazy.

Lots of difference there...
    marcclarke likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You are thinking of Moonies.Moonies are bald, wear pinkish robes,dance alot and are crazy.

And are pacifists
    marcclarke likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Well, even if one could make the escape velocity, I'm not sure that solves the problems. One problem would be if the sun's gravitational pull would pull the very slowly moving bullet toward it harder than the earth's gravitational pull. Also I'm not quite sure that one ever escapes gravity. After all, what influences the tide in our oceans? The gravitational pull of both the sun and the moon.

And as small and far away as Pluto is, Pluto is held in orbit by the sun's gravitational pull.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

And are pacifists
    Well if that's the way they behave, it's a good thing they are pacifists!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

It would actually be somewhat less than Lunar escape velocity because that is for a non-return to free space. The effect of Earth's gravity field in that direction would lower the speed needed, but probably not anywhere near enough to make a difference.

If you could shoot a round fast enough, the path would be a complex double reverse spiral with a multiple day transit time. Groupings would be pretty poor I suspect.

Administrator
    the path would be a complex double reverse spiral with a multiple day transit time. Yeah...that's exactly what I was just thinking - whatever it was that you just said.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    A cool read is project HARP (high altitude research project), basically in the 60's a team attempted to shoot a projectile into orbit. Using a 16 inch gun they were able shoot a projectile 3600 m/s. That's roughly 10,800 fps. In 1966 at the Yuma AZ proving grounds they launched a projectile 180km high, which is the record that still stands today.
    This was found on Wikipedia, but with further research looks legit.

I think that would beat the moons gravitational pull.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Now we know why those nerds chose propellant instead of projectiles.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I remember an NRA article from years & years ago they stated that a 150 grain .30 caliber bullet if fired on the surface of the moon would travel 179 miles.

Edit: That was at 2700 FPS
    Last edited by grouse; February 11th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Gunpowder would have difficulty functioning in an oxygen-less environment. So there's your first problem.
    Actually that is the easiest part, gunpowder and a lot of other propellants contain an oxidizer so that is not a major problem.

The rest of the questions get into a lot of orbital dynamics that is "above my pay grade". At Goddard we have a whole bunch of PhD's to do that stuff for us! If your bullet did achieve the lunar escape velocity, Kentucky Windage would probably be an understatement!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Well, even if one could make the escape velocity, I'm not sure that solves the problems. One problem would be if the sun's gravitational pull would pull the very slowly moving bullet toward it harder than the earth's gravitational pull. Also I'm not quite sure that one ever escapes gravity. After all, what influences the tide in our oceans? The gravitational pull of both the sun and the moon.

And as small and far away as Pluto is, Pluto is held in orbit by the sun's gravitational pull.
    There are (I think) areas in our solar system where gravity is pretty much cancelled out buy the competing gravitational forces. There is an area between the Sun and Earth the orbital dynamics folks refer to as "L1" (don't know why) where they have "parked" some of the solar research observatories.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

So answer me this...wouldn't a projectile that has a velocity of say 3000 fps here on earth, have a higher velocity on the moon, given the lighter gravitational pull?

Disclaimer: I am not a scientist, but I have watched many Bela Lugosi movies in my youth.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Does anyone know of any weapon that will achieve nearly 8,000 fps? The sabot from an M1 Abrams tank will get to about 5,300 fps. I don't know of anything faster.
    Minuteman Mark IV. Check out the velocity on that puppy. 15,000 miles per hour. You can do the conversion from mph to fps. Yes, that is 15,000 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I remember an NRA article from years & years ago they stated that a 150 grain .30 caliber bullet if fired on the surface of the moon would travel 179 miles.
    Can you imagine how many rounds it would take to zero in a rifle with that range?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links