Defensive Carry banner

For You Whizz Kid Scientific Type Members - A Bizarre Hypothetical

4K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  RevolvingMag 
#1 ·
My Lil' Brother asked me this question. I added the muzzle velocity and the handgun, caliber, & muzzle velocity for the purpose of adding something specific to work with.

I already gave him my answer. :yup: It was..."I Have Absolutely No Doggone Idea."

Here Goes It............

If you were an astronaut on the surface of the Moon and you had (let's say) a Ruger BlackHawk .44 Magnum 5.5" Barrel that was loaded with a Buffalo Bore bullet w/ an Earth Bound muzzle velocity of 1500 FPS - Could you fire a bullet at the Earth and hit the Earth if the bullet was made of some exotic alloy that wouldn't burn up in the Earths upper atmosphere?

Would a handgun bullet even be able to leave the (admittedly much lesser) gravitational pull of the Moon?

I'm just guessing that the bullet wouldn't lose velocity IF it actually made it off the Moon & into the vacuum of outer space.

If so...how long would it take for the bullet to reach the Earth?

I'm also guessing that some degree of Kentucky windage would be in order. :confused:

See less See more
#48 ·
I need a drink.
I'll cast a nay vote and call it case closed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.