Loaded in the safe.

Loaded in the safe.

This is a discussion on Loaded in the safe. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a couple guns that I keep loaded all the time. My HD shotgun and two of my carry weapons. Other than the shotty ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rammerjammer
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Loaded in the safe.

Loaded in the safe.

I have a couple guns that I keep loaded all the time. My HD shotgun and two of my carry weapons. Other than the shotty they are on me or in the safe, I have a rack for the shotty. I am the only one who has access to the safe. It seems silly to me to unload at night only to load up in the morning. (no kids) I still press check every time...

My question is this an unsafe practice in general? (A coworker made me rethink it).

My take on it is that every firearm is loaded and doesn't much matter for me one way or the other.

Thanks!
    Chris

Keep them all loaded. That way there is no questioning whether something is loaded or not.

Plus, you should already treat them like they are always loaded like you already do.

What you're doing is fine.
    paullie and surefire7 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Follow the rule treat all guns as if they are loaded you will never have a problem.
    An unloaded weapon is a very expensive rock.
    One by the bed loaded in a biosafe.
    The others are in quick opening safes Loaded at all times.

VIP Member
    I keep mine loaded, whether on me or locked away in the safe.
    sgb likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    I have a couple guns that I keep loaded all the time. My HD shotgun and two of my carry weapons. Other than the shotty they are on me or in the safe, I have a rack for the shotty. I am the only one who has access to the safe. It seems silly to me to unload at night only to load up in the morning. (no kids) I still press check every time...

My question is this an unsafe practice in general? (A coworker made me rethink it).

My take on it is that every firearm is loaded and doesn't much matter for me one way or the other.

Thanks!
    Chris
    Keep them loaded. You are fine..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

thanks Guys!

Always loaded except when cleaning or transporting (excluding cc guns). With the correct mindset that u have u will, continue, to be without issue.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

SOP

Standard Operating Procedure.

mel
    After joining this forum, I have learned a lot about defensive carry. One of the first that I don't in load my primary or back up, unless to clean them. You are doing the right thing.

sgb
    Loaded and secured
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I made a grave mistake a few months back. My borther-in-law came over. He is retired from the Navy, Sheriff's department and State DNR. We pulled one of my ARs from the safe. The magazine was removed hut as soon as he pulled the charging handle out poped a cartridge. We both look at one another with a Oh, $hit expression. NOW, everything in the safe is loaded and there is a bright orange sign stating everything in this safe is loaded and ready to fire.

I know I made a mistake and damn well learned from it. I never dreamed I could possibly be so negligent but folks it can happen so easily. I was and still am quiet embarresed over this. Thankfully this happened with with someone well experenced with firearms. However the bottom line is that it was my own fault. This is a lesson I will never have to learn twice. Mistakes can kill.

Regards.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    multiple people have access to the "secure" areas.

our code is a rubber band around the grip of what is loaded.

not perfect cause the bands do break--and, again:
    thats why we treat all guns as if they are loaded.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    I agree with checking the guns each time loaded or not, and I do. I have several pistols in various zippered padded pouches, one of them is loaded with ammo, on that pouch I attach a clothespin that I painted red. At a quick glance I can grab the pouch with a loaded gun if there is an urgency.

While every gun still gets checked in normal handling, the gun with the clothespin gives me a head's up reminder of what I'm about to handle, before I ever put my hands on it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links