Matte black coating for stainless/steel

This is a discussion on Matte black coating for stainless/steel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone Planning to build some holders for equipment from steel or stainless steel. I wan't to make nice matte black finish for the parts. ...

Thread: Matte black coating for stainless/steel

Hi everyone

Planning to build some holders for equipment from steel or stainless steel. I wan't to make nice matte black finish for the parts. What options do I have and what would be the best way to go? Stainless would be better option because it wont get rusty.

Have it power coated never worry about it again.
    Of cheaper and very effective use the spray on truck bed liner will last for ever if you use the good stuff.
    If you use either one you never going to worry about rust.

Thanks for the reply.

How easily will the powder coating wear off? For example if scratched with another metal part etc...

The finished looks should be as close to bead/sandblasted and black anodized aluminium as possible to match the other parts. I was told stainless steel can be bead blasted too and colored to black using black chrome plating. Would this give better result (closer to aluminium parts) than powder coating?

My parts also have close tolerances (holes etc) so will they be affected if powder coated?

Quote Originally Posted by donatello View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

How easily will the powder coating wear off? For example if scratched with another metal part etc...

The finished looks should be as close to bead/sandblasted and black anodized aluminium as possible to match the other parts. I was told stainless steel can be bead blasted too and colored to black using black chrome plating. Would this give better result (closer to aluminium parts) than powder coating?

My parts also have close tolerances (holes etc) so will they be affected if powder coated?
    Powder coat is tough it is put on then heated and baked. Holes for mounting you just tap out after painting
    The Good truck bed liner when sprayed on correctly is almost bullet proof. I have been amazed at things I seen motorcycle riders I know do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Powder coat is tough it is put on then heated and baked. Holes for mounting you just tap out after painting
    The Good truck bed liner when sprayed on correctly is almost bullet proof. I have been amazed at things I seen motorcycle riders I know do with it.
    Can't tap holes afterwards because the holes must be black too for nice looks.

KG gunkote,depending on size of parts,must be able to fit inside an oven and bake at 325 for 60 minutes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links