California question

California question

This is a discussion on California question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, long time no post. anyway I'll be taking a trip out to the LA area of CA next month and my dad has ...

Thread: California question

California question

Hi all, long time no post. anyway I'll be taking a trip out to the LA area of CA next month and my dad has a couple of pistols he wants to give me. I'd like to simply put them in a (locked as per airline/FAA regs) case and fly home with them. BUT this is CA and it can't possibly be that easy.

so what do I need to know so I don't become an unwilling permanent resident of the state?

and yes, I'm trying to avoid the hassle and fees of going though FFL's
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    UPS. I believe that sending to yourself requires no FFL.

I don't think it matters which state you are in, just check with your airline (their website) for their firearms transport requirements/procedures.....I have heard the best way to never loose your luggage is to declare a firearm at the counter. They say your bags are marked, tracked and double checked with your presence on every connecting flight.

bumping for a follow up question I just thought of. when you declare the firearm(s); does the TSA check registration on it? and I guess the first question would be: does CA HAVE registration for handguns?

I just really want to make sure my ducks are all in a row flying home with them.

the government does not have lists but it would be a good idea to send them to yourself. Legally they should be sent to an ffl in your state where you pick them up from your father, but legally you can send your guns to you at home

Is it legal to ship a Hand Gun to one's self? - THR

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    bumping for a follow up question I just thought of. when you declare the firearm(s); does the TSA check registration on it? and I guess the first question would be: does CA HAVE registration for handguns?

I just really want to make sure my ducks are all in a row flying home with them.
    That is a good question, I am not sure if TSA has the ability to quickly check the registration or at a later date.

All handguns are registered in CA when buying from a dealer. Private party sells are required for both to go to an dealer and do a change of ownership, however not many do (and I don't blame them). Very soon in about two years rifle sells will be forced to be registered as well in CA. This is good time to get your rifles before that happens. Right now after 90 days the records fall off the list on rifles purchased under your name and background check.

well back home with the new pistola. Its a CZ 83 in 9mm, it was very easy to get it home. I told the person at check in (frontier airlines) that I had a firearm to declare; she said ok, got the orange tag, looked to see that it was unloaded (I kept the slide open), and off we went. no hassle at all.

pics and range report to follow when I have time/$$

Links