Might be a stupid question, but...

This is a discussion on Might be a stupid question, but... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, this is very likely a stupid question, but I think I got it in the right place. Also, I searched for it, and didn't ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Might be a stupid question, but...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Might be a stupid question, but...

So, this is very likely a stupid question, but I think I got it in the right place. Also, I searched for it, and didn't find anything that really covered it.

I have a Springfield 1911-A1, 5" barrel, etc. I have been looking around, and trying to price, a .22lr conversion kit, but I can't seem to find one from Springfield. Would one from Colt/Kimber/Other work just as well as one branded for Springfield?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Most manufacturers don't make conversion kits. But these folks do, and this name comes up a lot.

Advantage Arms Secure Online Store
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    For the price of a conversion, you might also consider something like this 1911-22
    Mine's been accurate and flawless.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    So, this is very likely a stupid question, but I think I got it in the right place. Also, I searched for it, and didn't find anything that really covered it.

I have a Springfield 1911-A1, 5" barrel, etc. I have been looking around, and trying to price, a .22lr conversion kit, but I can't seem to find one from Springfield. Would one from Colt/Kimber/Other work just as well as one branded for Springfield?
    It will fit and run with no problems about the only time you will have a problem is with a Llama since many of their parts are proprietary and not gov spec.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    It will fit and run with no problems about the only time you will have a problem is with a Llama since many of their parts are proprietary and not gov spec.
    Ok. That's what I figured, but I wanted a second opinion. As long as it's all mil-spec it should be compatible; makes sense. I just don't want to throw $300 -/+ away on something that won't work for my gun.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

There are no real "stupid" questions here. Stupid questions are the ones unasked. (is that a real word?)...unasked. My spell checker didn't hit on it so I guess it's okay.
    JDE101 and Diddle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    There are no real "stupid" questions here. Stupid questions are the ones unasked. (is that a real word?)...unasked. My spell checker didn't hit on it so I guess it's okay.
    Yes; unasked is a word. It's just one of those words that nobody knows anymore. Because the kids these days don't read (and I say that with my generation included), and nobody makes them.

I suppose I worded that wrong; maybe not 'stupid question', but more along the lines of 'a question that will make people look at me like I am stupid'.

Theoretically (and, I suppose technically) if you have a mil-spec 1911, and a .22lr conversion kit designed for a 1911, it will work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    As a former military instructor (C-5A/B Flight Engineer) I never had a student ask a question I thought was stupid, but I occasionally I did receive questions that resulted in quite a few hours research on my part.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links