Model 1917 the American Enfield

This is a discussion on Model 1917 the American Enfield within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MilitaryArms
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Model 1917 the American Enfield

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

bmcgilvray likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Senior Moderator
    Another great article.

I love mine. Great to see a writeup on it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yea for this M1917 clip! It's nice to see a fine military arm like the Model 1917 be given its due with a respectful piece like this film clip.

I've owned this Model 1917 since I was a teenager in the mid-1970s It was acquired to fill a niche in a budding U.S. military arms collection but I didn't originally think too highly of it. I even used to use it to test experimental handloads. I only came to respect it in more recent times. The Model 1917s are very accurate rifles and pleasant to shoot. I confess that I never could gain the speed and smoothness with the Model 1917 that I could with the Model 1903 Springfield when shooting a rapid-fire stage in local high-power competition. The Model 1917 just feels more awkward and slow with the longer bolt throw and cock on closing feature.

This one was built in Remington's Eddystone plant in September of 1918 and is "as originally issued" with original markings, proof and inspection stamps, having never gone through an arsenal rebuild.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Thats beautiful...in fact the prettiest one I have ever seen.
    Mine is an Eddystone too.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Good video/info. I like my Eddystone.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I wish I could say I like my Eddystone... my family had one hanging over the mantle when I was growing up, and it spawned my mechanical interest in guns. I refinished the stock to bring out the nice walnut color, cleaned the bore which I recall was mirror-bright, but even with countless imaginary wars conducted with dry-firing that cock-on-bolt-closing just never became second nature. Alas, I never got to fire this old vet and my parents sold it when they moved, dang it! I'd love to add a clean one to my collection... but just as the video suggests, there are few around that haven't been subjected to "sporterizing" - and most of those I've seen have been hack jobs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links