1911 Modifications for carry

This is a discussion on 1911 Modifications for carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Howdy...new to the site, love it so far. I pack a Colt Commander that is stock except for VIZ grips and a Wilson beavertail grip ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911 Modifications for carry

1911 Modifications for carry

Howdy...new to the site, love it so far.

I pack a Colt Commander that is stock except for VIZ grips and a Wilson beavertail grip safety. Friday I bought a Colt New Agent, and it had the upgraded XS sights, which I love. I put 300 rounds through the New Agent over the weekend.....first stop this morning was my favorite gunsmith to have a Wilson beavertail installed. He laughed at the bandage on the web of my right hand.

Which brings me to my question.....other than an grips, extended grip safety and good sights, I see no need for any other modifications on a carry 1911. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It depends on the individual. Some people require/like ambidextrous safeties, some want an extended slide release. Some want a 1 piece guide rod. Are they have to haves? No. Are they modifications made to suit the individuals preferences. Do what makes you happy with your gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nice weapon of choice. Welcome from the Sunshine State
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Lowered ejection port, stippling on both sides of the grip, custom bushing, match trigger.....should I continue ?

My Combat Commander has it all and runs like the Tax Man is after him.......
    Mattmann likes this.

Had to put an ambi safety on mine as I am a lefty...

Welcome to the forums!
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Lowered ejection port, stippling on both sides of the grip, custom bushing, match trigger.....should I continue ?

My Combat Commander has it all and runs like the Tax Man is after him.......
    Yessir continue, but if it isn't too much trouble, can you tell me a few "why's"? Especially the bushing and match trigger....

Thanks for the welcomes guys. This forum looks interesting. I'm not a rookie, but always keep an open mind, I can always learn more. Pour it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Howdy...new to the site, love it so far.

I pack a Colt Commander that is stock except for VIZ grips and a Wilson beavertail grip safety. Friday I bought a Colt New Agent, and it had the upgraded XS sights, which I love. I put 300 rounds through the New Agent over the weekend.....first stop this morning was my favorite gunsmith to have a Wilson beavertail installed. He laughed at the bandage on the web of my right hand.

Which brings me to my question.....other than an grips, extended grip safety and good sights, I see no need for any other modifications on a carry 1911. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    I also don't see any real need for further modifications on your concealed carry choice. You've made some thoughtful changes that render it an outstanding choice for personal self-defense.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The custom bushing obviously aids in accuracy....IMO ....with the shorter Bbl. and the match trigger is crisp, not mushy like you find on most polymers today.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Administrator
    Don't feel obligated to have it modified. If it's working out for you and you're hitting with it and you're happy with it then go with it as is.

Spend your money on extra magazines and ammo.
    msgt/ret and phreddy like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Don't feel obligated to have it modified. If it's working out for you and you're hitting with it and you're happy with it then go with it as is.

Spend your money on extra magazines and ammo.
    Yep. I agree. I like fine firearms, and I understand having an "ultimate" in the stable/vault. But....for a carry/shooter.....my brother in law has more money than sense. He has a couple Kimbers and a Nighthawk. Absolutely nice renditions of the 1911 platform. But at the range....from zero to 20 yards....I will take my simple Commander and a fistful of quality magazines any day.

Like I said earlier though.....I do like to hear what other folks are doing with thier critical duty handguns.

Administrator
    That having been said I am a Colt upgrade fanatic.

Some of my modifications are due to my personal preference.
    They would always be;

> Flat checkered Aluminum Mainspring Housing
    > Short Trigger (even though I don't have small hands) I prefer a short trigger. That is what I am used to.
    > Fine Checkered Front Strap (I do that myself)
    > Modified to "old style" 1911 Thumb Safety
    > Variable Chrome Silicon Recoil Spring
    > Ivory Grips
    > Certac8 or Tripp Research or WILSON magazines
    > Ed Brown or EGW slide stop/release -

And most (if not all) of my other mods are because I love fitting uber-high quality aftermarket parts.
    (mostly Ed Brown & EGW Evolution Gun Works)

I would not suggest switching out parts unless a person really knows the 1911 internally.
    Most "drop in" parts will not just drop in and the installation of some aftermarket parts will affect the proper working of other original parts.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I bought my 1911 as it is, for the most part. Came with rubber grips, ambi- safeties (which is a mod I was planning on making to whatever 1911 I picked up- 'righties' don't know how to make anything the proper way), beavertail grip safety, and target sights. I swapped the rear sight for a plain/simple Wilson Combat black sight (which I need to paint white and just haven't gotten around to). The previous owner also had the feed ramp polished, and a put in a slightly softer spring so he could rack the slide with his arthritic hands. I haven't had a single FTF, and only one FTE due to too soft a load in the round I fired.

This Springfield is pretty much everything I would want in a carry 1911. Only thing that could make it better is a 15rnd mag, and a suppressor.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

JD
    Administrator
    A good dehorn, not necessarily a "melt job" but have the sharp edges broken.

"> Fine Checkered Front Strap (I do that myself) "

I have been thinking about having that done. I like the way it feels in the hand when I have tried my brother in laws Nighthawk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links