IDPA or USPSA ? - Page 2

IDPA or USPSA ?

This is a discussion on IDPA or USPSA ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And you shoot in ways that you could never set up on your own. Out of a car window, under low cover, standing on one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: IDPA or USPSA ?

And you shoot in ways that you could never set up on your own. Out of a car window, under low cover, standing on one leg while juggling 3 oranges--you name it, we put 'em through it. It's good practice.
    JD likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Look, it was fun, but I carry in a crossdraw when in the car, and at about 5 o'clock in a "palm out" configuration when I'm not sitting for long times. I prefer to use lasers, ghost ring or slide mounted red dot set ups since my eyes won't focus on the front sights anymore in a standard sight set up. I don't understand the restrictions on reloading on the move or shooting on the move, so long as I'm not violating a safety rule. And I found it hard to be competitive with a single stack 9mm, so I was using a double stack. I the rest of my issues with IDPA were RO personalities and range issues, which you can encounter everywhere.

Okay--here we go: Lasers and ghost rings are illegal--notch and post sights only. Now, you could do USPSA Open Division, but that's where the big sharks swim. The rules state that all reloads must be conducted--started and finished--from cover when available. Good rule. There is no restriction in the rules on shooting while moving, but the individual course of fire may have some prohibition on it. it is to be discouraged, and shooting on themove is to be encouraged (in the rules).

IDPA is ubjective with respect to the SO, that's true. A bad SO can ruin a stage, and a good one can make a stinky stage pretty fun.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    There is no restriction in the rules on shooting while moving [...]
    Actually, in effect there is such a restriction. The rules addendum in 2010 now requires that shots be taken from behind cover whenever cover is available. Since almost every IDPA stage on the planet involves at least one cover position, the de facto situation now is that the only time you shoot on the move is if you start the stage in the open and begin moving towards cover. Even then, as soon as you go empty, you must get to cover and only then reload and keep engaging targets. The major exception is "standards" (Limited Vickers) stages, but even then most of those involve walls or barrels as cover positions, so the same restrictions apply.

I've been shooting IDPA since 2007; that addendum has had the practical effect of almost eliminating shooting on the move from most IDPA matches (at least those that strictly follow IDPA course design guidelines).

When it comes down to it, any shooting sport is a game and when you play a game you agree to abide by the rules (or, at least, quietly accept whatever penalties accrue for choosing not to follow the rules). The biggest ongoing issue I have with IDPA is, in fact, the subjectivity of an SO's calls. You could have identical barricades on two different stages, approach them the same way, and one SO will say nothing while another will give you a cover call PE. That really frosts my cookies. And don't get me started on how penalties are assessed (or, I should say, not assessed) against the top level shooters at big matches as opposed to "regular" shooters. Also, I've seen more than my fair share of "homer" syndrome, where the local shooters for a club hosting a big match get a free ride on stuff that everybody else gets penalized for.

Mind you, I still shoot IDPA and I am in fact going to shoot the S&W Indoor Nationals this weekend. I have just resigned myself to having to accept some of these issues as the price of getting trigger time in this sport. I now vastly prefer USPSA because it lets you figure out your own way to shoot the stages, all the rules-lawyering is generally done off-line and is restricted to equipment enforcement, and you can be reasonably certain that once the buzzer goes off the calls will be consistent. Just my two cents, coming from somebody who has shot a fair amount of both.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

To the OP... you can shoot USPSA however you want essentially, without penalty. IDPA, not so much. Shoot both and don't believe everything you read on the net. I moved to uspsa because I got really bored with IDPA and it's constant scripted course of fire. Nothinng wrong with shooting your carry gear in uspsa. There is likely a division it will fit in.

Kazz: don't get me started on cover calls and horse apple rulings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links